What it is about Michael Strahan that has Warren Sapp so ridiculously obsessed is anyone's guess. But whatever it may be reared its ugly head again on Tuesday, as Sapp took aim at Strahan and blasted the former New York Giants defensive end, claiming he's not deserving of the Pro Football Hall of Fame and that his single-season sack record is "mythical."
Strahan's initial reaction to Sapp's latest diarrhea of the mouth was a simple one, which saw ole No. 92 hit Twitter and sarcastically agree with Sapp, saying his 15 years of success were "all hype." But as questions continue to reign in, Strahan eventually admitted that he's not sure why Sapp obsesses over him like a scorned prom date.
“I don’t understand what the problem is, to be honest with you,” Strahan said. “If you have a problem with me, I’m the type of guy you come and talk to me. I’m not a coward to talk to somebody else when I have somebody’s number. I’m going to come to you and tell you if I have a problem. So I don’t understand what this whole thing is about.”
As it did a year ago, Sapp's bizarre criticism of Strahan led to many speaking out in support of the retired Giant. This time however, it went so high up that Giants co-owner John Mara even decided to address it … and he made his stance on the matter abundantly clear.
“I don’t understand that,” Mara said. “I wouldn’t trade Michael Strahan for two Warren Sapps.”
Even Boomer Esiason, who is known Giants-hater, spoke out against Sapp's ridiculous comments, saying he's an "embarrassment to anyone who has ever played the game."
Yet, Sapp continues. And somewhere deep in his brain, there's some sort of faux logic that makes him legitimately believe that Strahan's success was overblown and that he's only praised because he's a media darling.
“You all don’t take that same critical eye as when you’re looking at somebody else,” Sapp said. “ ‘Oh, it’s Michael. Awww, he’s our guy. He’s on TV with Kelly (Ripa)’ and ‘Oh, he’s such a good guy!’ I thought you got into the Hall because your resume stacked up with the echoes of the game. Not just the good. The great.”
Sapp's issues have gone far beyond sour grapes. They aren't even rotted grapes at this point. It's a steaming, stinking compost pile that just oozes … well, you know. And there's no rhyme or reason to it — it's just a bitter old man hanging on to whatever glory he can by trying to drag those above him down into the sewers in which he dwells.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Warren Sapp Doesn’t Think Michael Strahan is a Hall of Famer: All He Has is a ‘Mythical Sack Record’
- Retired Giants DE Michael Strahan not Stressing Over Hall of Fame; “Hopes” to Get in This Year
- Former New York Giants DE Michael Strahan Among 15 Finalists for NFL Hall of Fame
- Retired New York Giants DE Michael Strahan to Receive the 2014 Pat Summerall Award
- George Young, Michael Strahan Among 25 Modern-Era Pro Football Hall of Fame Semifinalists
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17gx