New York Giants punter Steve Weatherford understands the emotion behind a huge NFC Championship win. As such, he understands why the very competitive Richard Sherman said the things he said after the game. Still, while sitting down with Sports Illustrated recently, Weatherford noted that Sherman's initial reaction is not the type of sportsmanship you'd like young kids to take after.
For Weatherford, he also notes that the 2011 NFC Championship victory over the San Francisco 49ers was the most exiting win for him — largely because he had entered the game 0-3 in NFC Championships.
"The most exciting win for me was the NFC Championship game," Weatherford said. "For me personally, that was the fourth time I've been to the championship game — I went twice with the Jets and once with the Saints. And if I would have lost that one, it would have been heart-breaking for me."
As for his now famous postgame celebration, in which he was seen running down the field screaming "We're going to the [expletive] Super Bowl," Weatherford explains that his Mother was the first one to address his language.
"My Mom called me after the game and I'm like 'Mom, we're going to the Super Bowl!' and she's like 'I'm so excited for you. What did you say after the game?' " Weatherford explains. "I'm like, I'm wracking my brain and I'm like 'Oh, we're going to the 46th Super Bowl, Mom.' "
Weatherford is nothing if not wildly entertaining. Thankfully, he's also a hell of a punter — a perfect fit for the New York Giants.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Giants’ Steve Weatherford, Newark Mayor Luis Quintana Deliver Toys to Homeless Families: Video
- Seattle Seahawks’ Richard Sherman Rips Former Giants OC Kevin Gilbride, Calls Him “Bitter”
- Seattle Seahawks’ Richard Sherman: Giants QB Eli Manning Provided Us Bulletin Board Material
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/17h6