January 27th, 2014 at 12:00 PM

The New York Giants have now made official what we already knew, announcing that they have hired Oregon State offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf as their next quarterback coach.

“For me, it’s just a great opportunity to be able to work with a great quarterback,” Langsdorf told Giants.com. “I know he is looking for improvement off of last year. I’m looking forward to a new challenge and to live in a new part of the country. I was never in New York for any reason up until the interview (with Coughlin). I think it’s kind of a neat opportunity for me and my family to experience a different part of the world and just a new challenge, so we’re very excited about that. And getting back to the NFL was something that was appealing to me.”

As it turns out, Langsdorf actually has a previous connection to the Giants. Although this was his first trip to the Northern New Jersey/New York City area on business, Langsdorf has a connection to Kevin Gilbride and the Gilbride family as he once donated a kidney to Laurie Cavanaugh, the sister of the now retired Kevin Gilbride.

“That’s definitely an ironic twist to the story,” Langsdorf said. “That’s still something that’s close to me and close to my family. To get a chance to go there, it’s pretty unique, and it’s kind of a different twist that we never expected. We’re both hanging in there and doing just fine. All is well on both ends.”

In addition to the hiring of Langsdorf, the Giants also announced the completion of their offensive coaching staffshuffle.

Despite previous speculation that former QB coach Sean Ryan would coach the tight ends, he has actually been assigned to coach the wide receivers. Meanwhile, Kevin M. Gilbride, the nephew of Laurie Cavanaugh, will now return to coaching tight ends.

Photo credit: gregkeene / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-ND

Tags: Danny Langsdorf, Football, Kevin Gilbride, New Jersey, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Sean Ryan

50 Responses to “New York Giants Officially Hire Danny Langsdorf as QB Coach; Kevin M. Gilbride, Sean Ryan Shuffled”

1. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I anxiously await the reaction of fans when they realize Tom Coughlin made the final decision to hire a close friend of Kevin Gilbride as his next QB coach.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Not getting anything out of me……

•  Nosh.0 says:

I still believe this hiring was more McAdoos idea than Tom Coughlins.

Your anxiety is now relieved Dan.

The relationship of Langsdorf to Gillbride is undeniable. I think both McAdoo and TC signed off his hire. I don’t think TC forced him on McAdoo but do think TC had to approve of the move.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah TC def had to approve the move. He’s still the man in charge. But unlike in previous years, I don’t think he gets to choose all the interview candidates.

Also, Dan, you realize in saturdays article when we had this argument there was no mention of a connection to Gilbride. Now there is. We work off the information provided to us.

•  Hanshi says:

I mentioned it on Saturday:
            Hanshi says:
            January 25, 2014 at 7:50 AM
            Langsdorf also has ties to Gilbride.

2.  Nosh.0 says:

Obviously we can’t give up on Beatty (too much money and was good in 2012).

But his 2013 was disastrous. And to simply pencil him in at LT for 2014 with no insurance plan is risking a lot. If you grab a Tackle at 12 he can come in and start at RT right away, with eyes on making him our future LT if Beatty continues to struggle. And Pugh has all the skills to be a very good pulling guard.

I’m not saying we should definitely do this. But I disagree with the people who think it shouldn’t even be an option. And there seems to be quite a few people on here that don’t even want to entertain the idea of moving Pugh and drafting a Tackle.

As for our biggest need on the OL, it really depends on Will Beatty. If he plays like he did last year then our biggest need is LT. And we will be in position to draft one this April.

I don’t get that you totally missed that Pugh play well as a rookie a RT. So you want to move him because of some scouting reports? The kid showed he can play well at RT so why not find a guard. Why mess with the one position and player no one is worried about?

Pugh also has all the skills to be a LT. If Beatty is a dictator again to me he’s the fail safe.

Just moving everyone around with no rhyme or reason doesn’t make sense to me. I understand if a talent like Robinson is still around at 12 or if we have another OT rated really highly. But I don’t think just picking an OT at #12 just because our OL was bad makes sense.

It’s not like hasn’t played well before so I think you worry about fixing the guard positions and the TE positions before you worry about Beatty. A rookie OT is no sure bet to improve anything. A rookie guard is more likely to be successful. And you can get elite guards late in the first or even at our position in the second round.

•  kujo says:

Exactly.

Pugh could move inside, or perhaps over to left tackle, if the need arises. But unless new players are acquired, or another plague of injuries occurs, I really don’t see the need.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah we just totally disagree on this.

For one I think there are good Tackle prospects at 12. Leawan and Cyrus are good prospects in my opinion.

Also Pugh was not that good as a Right Tackle last year. He was the best player in a group of really bad ones. Good at times and struggled at times also. I would look into moving him to guard, especially if I thought, which I do, he could excel at that position. i.e. become an A level guard, while I think his ceiling at Tackle is B level.

Anyway I’ve already said my piece enough. Here’s my offseason predictions.

We will sign Alex Mack. We will draft Cyrus Alabama in the first round. Pugh will move to guard. Joseph will leave for the most $$$ which will not be offered by us. Beason will be re-signed. RB, CB and TE to be determined at a later date. Translation, I have no idea what we will do at those positions.

•  Eric S says:

If an OT is there at 12 and he’s the best on their board then you take him. Who’s to say they can’t slide Pugh inside it for that matter the rookie can start off as a guard. If he’s a stud then he’d likely be able to play inside.

•  rlhjr says:

“Big Will” has one more year IMO. Meaning they may not cut him if he stinks it up this year. But they will have his successor in the fold real soon via draft.
      That’s just what I think.

Now, concerning what GOAT was explaining, if Reese doesn’t have a true 10 year talent for the O-line at 12, What’s wrong with BPA?
      The only way you part with the 12th pick in the NFL draft (IMO) is if you know three things for a fact:

1. None of the top 20 players can help NOW on either side of the ball.
      2. You can move up and get the player you want.
      3. You can move down (trade) and add 1 or two more second round picks.

I say that because the team can ALWAYS use an impact player. If the value in OL is beyond 12 bring in a good young vet in FA, and get a gritty kid in the second round. If there is no dynamic O-line help at 12, and Reese trades down, you have to think they plan on grabbing at least one O-line FA.
      Mara has already stated that they will not be standing pat with offensive personnel. I have a feeling that includes players and coaches.

Repost:

F55 – I don’t agree at all that Beason, Brown and Brown will equal Joseph. Maybe overall contract but not in 2014 which is what I’m concerned about. I see Joseph getting a Cofield type deal which was 6 mil per year. I see Beason as getting 4-5 mil per year even if low guarantees.

It’s not that Patterson or Jenkins are too old but just like at DE with Tuck and Kiwi I think we need to get younger and thus keeping one is best. I rather sacrifice Jenkins and the Browns which is about 6 mil to keep Joseph if needed.

Rodgers is just not a guy you can bet on to contribute at this point of his career. There are other vet DTs we can get. I don’t you can count on him to play enough games or snaps to really be an impact. I don’t doubt he can help on the field but I do doubt him being on the field much.

I felt vets were needed last year because Hankins wasn’t ready. I expect Hankins to make a Joseph like jump next year and therefore we don’t need a player like Patterson. But if we kept Patterson over a JAG like Kuhn that wouldn’t bother me either. Though I prefer to get younger. Hopefully a later round draft choice can make an impact.

4.  kujo says:

But…but…but….

I thought Mara had stricken TC of his role in the hiring of assistants, imbuing first time coordinator McAdoo with heretofore unheard of power for such untested candidates?

(Of course, that was always false, but some like to cling to such fairytales, where “good” triumphs over “bad,” instead of confronting realities. For another example of this naivete, look no further than the assumption that all those shotgun draws were the fault of Kevin Gilbride as opposed to a natural bivalve for plays that Eli wants to check out of).

•  rlhjr says:

Coughlin is doing his job according to Mr. Mara. And for him ignore that would truly be “Tom Foolery” for real, can’t speak for all, but I don’t down play Coughlin’s value and knowledge.

However, I am pretty sure he required some assistance navigating the “west coast waters” he finds himself in now. There is no shame or dishonor in that.
      In fact it’s a show of faith that TC can deal with changes and get in step.
      He’s far from a puppet or figure head. His personality would not allow him to hang on like that. He would quit first.

But anyone thinking that the entire organization field level and above was not put on notice by Mara is taking cheap pharmaceuticals. And there are laws against that sort of thing. TC is in change, but he has some “help”.

I can’t see why … with all our pressing needs and glaring holes … we would draft a LOT #1 just in case Beatty can’t play.

•  kujo says:

^^^^^^^^ this

•  Nosh.0 says:

Again you’re harping on the L or R in OT. We would draft an OT because our OL is terrible, and our current ROT can be a pro bowl caliber guard. Making our OL as a whole, better.

That’s why we would draft an OT.

And yes, because there is a decent chance Will Beatty can’t play.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Like I hear all these people saying we need to add a guard. Guard is a big need for us. Well guess what, we may have a great one already on the roster. WTF it’s like I’m talking to a wall.

•  Krow says:

If we draft an OT … and he sits … then Reese should be shot. We have way too many holes to end up with another project … especially at 12.

•  Nosh.0 says:

#12 pick won’t be sitting. I think Mara made it clear in his press conference and WFAN interview that young guys will play more often. If a tackle is taken 12th then he will start from day 1 at LT or RT. He may be developed in the sense that he plays RT for a year or 2 then moves left, but he won’t be a Will Beatty sit on the bench for a year type project.

That’s one of the reasons I think Joseph is gone. Because they want Hankins to play.

•  rlhjr says:

That is a true statement krow. I just wonder aloud; does Reese have the starch in his paints to try to move up in the draft a get his man?
            Or is it mandated in Giants guidelines that no GM shall ever move up in the NFL draft to select a dominate player? (It might be)

Reese, indeed the organization as a whole cannot afford another worthless wonder at 1, 2 or 3. Reese has backed himself into a corner and needs to come out slugging. I’m giving him Pugh Hankins and Moore. (Although I still want to see the team utilizes Moore according to his skills).

Either way you look at it, there will be tight sphincter muscles in the Giant war room draft day.

•  rlhjr says:

I will recant one thing, Reese #1′s have been very good players.
              They have be cursed with injury however. Even Wilson displayed game breaking ability when he was blessed with a sliver to run through.
              And his kick retruning abiity rivals the best in the league IMO.

But Reese’s #2 and beyond kinda suck. Never mind Bradshaw and Boss.
              What have you done for me lately is the question.

When it comes to policy most major organizations extensively debate the matter internally before making a decision. If I had to guess I’d say the billion dollar NY Football Giants follow that guideline as well. Which means that all the major players sat down and discussed the obviously broken offense … tossed around strategies to correct it … carefully weighed their options … then picked one.

At that point any good ‘company man’ salutes and gets on board. It doesn’t matter what solution they personally favored. They know that dissention guarantees failure. And hopefully they’re satisfied that their view was given a fair hearing.

Tom Coughlin is the epitome of a ‘company man’. He may have had some areas of disagreement with the final approach. We’ll never know the details … or how they resolved it all. But once the direction was set you know you can depend on Tom to carry it through. It’s a business.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that while Tom Coughlin may or may not have been behind this retooling of the offense he’s going to do his damnedest to make it work. And that includes picking assistants that fit the plan … even if that plan isn’t the one he’d have chosen.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Well said. That’s basically what I was trying to say on Saturday. You wrote it a lot better than I could. My point all along was that these new hirings on offense were a collaborative effort. Where as I believe in the past, TC had more of a say i.e. less input from others in the Giants organization. Specifically the names Huffnagel, Lewis, and Fewell come to mind. We know for a fact Accorsi didn’t like Huffnagel, although I don’t think Accorsi like Tom either.

But now that they are on board TC will do everything he can to make it work. And I think it will.

7.  Nosh.0 says:

By the way, I don’t know where this idea came about that people think TC is some puppet within the organization now, but it certainly wash’t from me, and not something I’ve ever seen implied on this site.

The thing that I always thought to be silly, was this idea that TC was god with in the Giants organization. That he could never be fired, that Snee will be a Giant until he’s 50 and other speculation like that.

From everything I know about the Giants organization is that John Mara is the God. And everyone else falls under the chain of command. Mara is a good enough owner to let his employees do their jobs without interfering, but he will also stick his hands in when he feels there is a need to. And I feel that the McAdoo and Langsdorf hirings are exactly that. Mara sticking his hands in when he felt there was a need.

Not sure how implying that TC now gets some more input with hirings makes him a puppet. I can only assume that vibe came from the G101 Facebook page and was brought over here.

•  rlhjr says:

I think some here can’t get past the realization that TC was given a set of orders. Any good military man knows that he can **** all he wants.
      “ORDERS IS ORDERS” end of story. Move along, nothing to see here.

Krow put it politically (Giant101) correct. So maybe some under garments will get un-bunched now. Lord have mercy………………..

•  skinnydoogan says:

This…. really lets move on…..

•  skinnydoogan says:

anything ANY of us says or thinks is pure conjecture, unless one of us is in the actual organization. Only person here who is closest to knowing what is going on is Dan, being he has ties….

rlhjr – I don’t have a big problem with BPA but given how deep this draft is I think you are better off with more picks in the top 3 rounds then just picking a player. I think with all the Juniors in this draft the talent is not only deep but harder to analyze for scouts because the analysis on most juniors hasn’t been done with the depth as of seniors. I just think from years of watching the draft way too much is made of the top of the first round. There’s tons of talent until at least the 3rd round. Without holes depth is more important than one great player. Great players in many cases are overrated in the NFL. Many good players are more important as for example the Seattle front 7. They don’t have any great players in their front 7 but a depth of good to very good players that makes them extremely good.

Nosh – I think you overrate the idea of roles. It’s like having a basketball team of allstars instead of players properly skilled to play with one another. We draft a LT and play him at RT he’s no given to be better than Pugh was last year. Pugh moving to guard is no given to be better than he was last year at RT. This is a puzzle and certain pieces fit better together. The OL isn’t just about amassing talent ot high round picks but chemistry and players that play well together. Our great OL was great in terms of talent but it played great as a unit. Plus finding OTs are usually harder than guards. We have a guy that’s an up and coming OT so why move him? The only reason scouts had him at guard were his arms but he showed that wasn’t an issue. Unless there’s a top OT that we just can’t pass up at 12 then we should keep Pugh at tackle.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

We’re drafting a WR.

As long as it’s not Evans I’m fine with that. Watkins & Lee I think are elite WR prospects. Evans gives me Mike Williams flash backs.

•  JBeast3 says:

I think BPA at 12 is the best way to go unless Matthews fall to 12 ( i know not happening) other than that i wouldn’t touch any other OT at 12. If the draft goes they way we all think where Matthews and Clowney are off the board by 12 I’m going with Dennard or WR Sammy Watkins; then go G in the second and LB in the third

The other option which i like more is to trade down to the 20s pick up an extra second rounder and draft OG Cyril Richardson in the first and go CB or WR in the second LB in the 3rd.

•  rlhjr says:

GOAT56 says:
      January 27, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I can get with that side of the strategy. I just don’t want the brain trust to pass of a future HOF due to value. I think impact rules. Not saying that I’m absolutely right about that. But it seems true to me.

9.  JBeast3 says:

As for Langsdorf i dont know much about him i just hope he will come in and help Eli with his fundamentals and cut down on his INTs

•  rlhjr says:

I think a ton of this offensive “adjustment” is aimed squarley at Eli.

With that being the case, there is no way in the world this team does not take at least one better than average offensive lineman. Now Reese should have the lattitude as to when that guy is taken. But if there is a can’t miss guy sitting there at 12 who is not Robinson, or even an offensive lineman is Reese going to (be allowed) pull the trigger?

Are Dennard and Watkins that game changing type of player?
      I like Richardson because I think he can play either gurad of tackle.
      And that is exactly what the offensive line needs, flexibility size and power.

•  JBeast3 says:

I think Dennard is a game changing player esp with the defense we have. The chance of having 2 CBs that more often than not be able to take their WR out of the game. I think my point is we are able to find a better G in the second round than a CB in the second. We can go Dennard at 12 and G in the second so we aren’t neglecting the OL, heck if it was up to me i would go OL in the second and third round and still sign a FA like Asamoah or Mack.

10.  BigBlueGiant says:

walter football has us drafting “BIG” Timmy Jerrigan, DT, FSU.