January 25th, 2014 at 6:55 AM

Although Sean Ryan will likely remain with the New York Giants, it was suggested several weeks ago that his position on the coaching staff may change. That will now become a certainty as Sports Illustrated reports the Giants will hire Oregon State offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf as their next quarterbacks coach.

Langsdorf, who has been with Oregon State as both their offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach since 2005, has previous NFL experience, having worked with Ben McAdoo in 2002 as an offensive assistant and quality control coach for the New Orleans Saints.

From 1999-2001, Langsdorf worked in the CFL with the Edmonton Eskimos as both a wide receivers coach and quarterback coach. Prior to that, he was again with Oregon State as a Graduate Assistant (1997-1998) and California Lutheran, also as a Graduate Assistant (1996).

This past season, Oregon State's offense ranked 30th in the FBS, averaging 34.8 points per game. Their passing offense, meanwhile, ranked third in the entire nation averaging 372.6 yards per game.

The Giants have not yet confirmed the hiring of Langsdorf, but did acknowledge he was interviewed for the position.

Sean Ryan will now reportedly coach tight ends.

Photo credit: gregkeene / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-ND

Tags: Ben McAdoo, Danny Langsdorf, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Sean Ryan

42 Responses to “New York Giants to Hire Oregon State Offensive Coordinator Danny Langsdorf as Next QB Coach”

1.  Nosh.0 says:

Looks more and more like McAdoo is making these hirings and not Coughlin. Hopefully this will help put to bed the idea that TC has some free pass from John Mara because of his 2 rings.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

This is a funny statement. You truly think Mara went over the head of Coughlin to hire McAdoo and then gave McAdoo hiring power over Coughlin? All the while Coughlin sits quietly and lets himself be abused?

I assure you, that is not the way these things are happening.

•  Nosh.0 says:

All I know is that Langsdorf has ties to McAdoo, not Coughlin. Sure TC OK’ed it, but I very much doubt this was TC’s choice.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

If it wasn’t TC’s choice post-interviews, he wouldn’t be hired. Ultimately, Coughlin says yay or nay on these guys and that stands. I know people want to believe Coughlin is in the timeout chair and has lost his power over assistants, but that’s just not the case. Every decision that’s being made is influenced, but ultimately are his choice. If he was stripped of any power, he’d have walked away by now.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I disagree. TC’s not in the timeout chair per se, but Mara has hinted that had Gilbride not retired that he would have canned him, regardless what TC had to say about it.

I think it’s become abundantly clear that TC does not have the full power he had a few seasons ago. He’s still the head coach and makes the big decisions, but it looks like he doesn’t have all the say he once had.

As for why he would stay at a job where he doesn’t have all the power he once did? Simple. He’s the head coach of the New York f-u/c-k’i.n>g Giants. They don’t make better jobs than that. And I’d argue that almost 95% of coaches and G.M.’s around the sports landscape don’t have the power they’d like, or get to make all the decisions they want, but at the end of the day they like their jobs. Cut to Brian Cashman nodding.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I’m not going to get into an early Saturday morning argument, but I can tell you with 100% unrelenting certainty that you are mistaken. And that’s not a personal opinion, that’s from every single contact I’ve made over the last decade covering the Giants — both those on the beat and some team employees as well.

•  Kettles78 says:

Maybe he wa a recommendation of McAdoo but I doubt he said who is who we need now make it happen old man

•  Hanshi says:

Langsdorf also has ties to Gilbride.

•  Hanshi says:

Are they quietly putting together the next coaching staff? Are they looking at offensive assistants that could be future OC’s should McAdoo become a Head Coach either with the Giants or elsewhere? Could they be making a gradual transition to life without Tom Coughlin as the Head Coach?

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

The simple answer? No. As Art Stapleton and Bart Hubbuch have said recently: “Not every hire is the next head coach.”

How many times have you heard of a 30-something head coach in the NFL?

•  Hanshi says:

John Madden

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

So you’re saying Ben McAdoo is the next John Madden?

•  Hanshi says:

I have no idea. I don’t know that much about him. Point is 30 something has been done many times.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Many times is subjective. How many head coaches in NFL history and what % of them were 30-something? How many coaches have the Giants had and were any of them 30-something? And most importantly, Ben McAdoo is not the Giants’ next head coach.

•  Hanshi says:

Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers 34 years, 10 months, 7 days
            Joe Schmidt, Detroit Lions 34 years, 11 months, 23 days
            Eric Mangini, New York Jets 34 years, 11 months, 28 days
            Mike Shanahan, Los Angeles Raiders 35 years, 6 months
            Dick Nolan, San Francisco 49ers 35 years, 10 months

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I applaud you. Ben McAdoo still is not the Giants’ next head coach. Carry on.

•  Hanshi says:

And Kiwi will not be a DE? LOL

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

One of the bottom four rated DEs in the entire NFL by PFF, who took 40% of his snaps at linebacker.

•  Hanshi says:

Yup, but he WAS a DE.
                    I’m not saying McAdoo WILL be the next Giants Head Coach. I am saying that we don’t know and I’m saying that if its not with the Giants, he will be a Head Coach somewhere if he does a good job as OC. He already had interest from the Browns.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

A DE whose second snap of the season was at linebacker. And who played most of his snaps there until Jon Beason came in and the Giants starting mixing/matching the OLBs based on opponents. Then he got the majority of his snaps at DE. Which, if we were to go back into the past comments and locate them, is exactly what I said would happen: “Kiwi will only be a DE when they fill out their LBers.” And that is exactly what went down.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

$5000 that Ben McAdoo is never named Giants head coach.

•  Hanshi says:

Come on man, the point is that we don’t know. If I knew for sure, I’d that that bet but, I really have no idea. Nobody does.

I do know for sure. So sure that I will bet $5000 on it. lol

I’ll close this site AND pay you $5000 if McAdoo is named the next head coach. That is how absolutely certain I am about it.

•  Hanshi says:

That’s a bad bet for me because I don’t want the site closed! I love this site and I appreciate the job you do for all of us here but I’m sitting here laughing my a$$ off because I threw a little BS out there and you ran with it.
                      But it could happen, lol

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I’ve had this discussion on Twitter and Facebook with about 500 other fans who INSIST the hiring of McAdoo was to be a head coach in waiting. And it’s just not realistic. That’s kinda why I ran with it. Plus a 101 temperature and no sleep to speak of. I honestly can’t even be sure if this conversation is real right now. lol

•  Hanshi says:

But I do hope that McAdoo does such a great job as OC that he’s talked about as a Head Coach somewhere in the league.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I do certainly hope for that, too.

•  Hanshi says:

Feel better and keep up the great work.

2.  Nosh.0 says:

Didn’t get to comment on DD retiring yesterday.

I’m a huge DD fan. And even though he’s been washed up for about 2 years now, it’s not really his fault for holding on and getting a paycheck, that was Reese’s fault. Guy gave it his all, father time eventually won out.

Deihl’s success during his career with us reinforces my belief that the “LT and RT need greatly different skill sets” argument is completely overblown. DD was never so athletic that he looked the part of an LT, and he always had trouble with speed rushers and Demarcus Ware. But we had some great offensive years with him at LT, and at one point probably the best OL in the NFL.

DD most definitely had some physical skill, had he not it wouldn’t have been quite so obvious when he lost it. But he was never a guy you looked at and saw a great athlete. His toughness defined him and his line-mates like O’hara, Snee, and Seibert. Whatever attributes the Giants saw in guys like DD and O’hara, is what they should be looking for when they scout this years draft class.

3.  James Stoll says:

Langsdorf is the Giants answer to Chip Kelley?
    Maybe between MacAdoo and Langsdorf we’ll begin to see a little of the up-tempo, no-huddle offense many have been clamoring for Eli to run since the beginning of his 2 minute drill success in 2005

4.  Nosh.0 says:

Well I don’t think McAdoo is the HC in waiting. I never understood how that sort of dynamic would work. The idea of having the current HC groom the future HC seems like it would create a variety of problems.

However, I do believe that McAdoo and this guy Langsdorf were not TC choices. He may have given the O.K. to hire both, but I can’t imagine that when Gilbride left, Tom went in his coaching rolodex and decided these 2 guys were the ones he wanted. Sure he had to give the O.K. and make sure he could work with these coaches, but I wouldn’t call them his choice.

•  James Stoll says:

I look at it this way: Tom wants to coach forever – literally. Mara concluded that the offense was broken. He believes that a new offense is needed. He looks around the league and what does he see? Lots of young guys working up-tempo systems. He wants that and that’s what JR and TC are now hiring up to give him. Tom is loyal to his staff, no doubt. But he wants to coach and if he has to cut guys loose and change systems to retain his job, that is what he is going to do. That’s not a bad thing. Let’s hope it works.
      Still could use a player or two or ten to facilitate, however.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

If Coughlin has proven ANYTHING over his career with the Giants, it’s that he’s able and willing to change his line of thinking if it means something for the team. He’s done it many times in the past and it’s almost remarkable that fans refuse to see that’s what’s occurring right now.

Same man. Still in charge. Still the decision-maker. But recognizes the league is changing offensively and that his previous system was broken. He did evaluations with owners and GM, held the interviews and decided on McAdoo, Johnson and now Langsdorf.

•  Nosh.0 says:

See this is where we disagree. I still remember the coach that refused to move on from Tim Lewis and Huffnagel until he was close to losing his own job.

These hirings feel a lot like that.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yes. That is exactly what I’m saying. Tom is extremely loyal. But if cutting some of his guys means he gets to keep his job then that’s what he’s going to do. At the end of the day TC wants to be a football coach forever. And while he certainly will stand up for his philosophies, he knows John Mara is the one in charge. So when Mara says jump, Tom is smart enough to know that sometimes he has to answer “how high?”

•  Nosh.0 says:

It’s also hard for me to believe that TC would choose to hire McAdoo over Sullivan.

5.  James Stoll says:

Dan, assuming he’s healthy enough to play, do think what we are anticipating in the MacAdoo offense will allow Wilson to thrive, perhaps mostly as a receiving back?

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I am hard-pressed to believe Wilson will play again, honestly. And even if he does, I wouldn’t expect to see him, at earliest, halfway through the upcoming season.

6.  Nosh.0 says:

To echo what Stoll said, these hirings are a good thing. And not because TC is no longer a good coach. I think he is a great head football coach. And he’ll continue to do the things that make him a great CEO, which is what I believe a HC ultimately is. However that doesn’t necessarily mean TC is a great coordinator. An example would be Rex Ryan who clearly can coach defense but the jury is still out if he can be a CEO.

I view these hirings as an offensive change of philosophy, yet with TC still the general of the team. Which is great because TC is a great leader (look no further than the team not quitting after an 0-6 start).

But TC is stubborn, and i have a hard time believing that he would have made these coaching changes unless Mara and Reese had a long talking to him.

But at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter who’s decision it was to bring these coaches in, it’s a good thing they’re here, and it’s a good thing Tom is still the leader of the team.

7.  rlhjr says:

Tom Coughlin obviously did not come up with the idea of bringing this guy in.

This signifies the fact that Coughlin is following Mara lead. He is giving McAdoo plenty of leeway in rebuild the teams offense. TC has not really a clue of all that going on in the collage game. These new hires do, and it will be reflected in the players that the Giants draft or otherwise acquire in the years to come.

Coughlin will benefit from this. And so will Jerry Reese. Ne life/blood is being fused into this franchise. I just hope Coughlin stands up for the physical side of the offense. And makes sure this team regains the ability to run the football especially inside the 20 yard line. Change is not longer coming, IT’S HERE.

I pray that similar transition takes place on the defensive side of the ball.
    I mean how would the rest of you like to have defensive capability of the Sea Hawks or the 49′ers combined with an offense that can run and, throw long and utilize playmakers on short screen or slant routes for YAC?

So lets not get our undies in a bunch over weather or no this is usurping Coughlin.
    What is going on is an old dog is being taught new tricks. It’s about time.