The last time quarterback Eli Manning transitioned into a new offense was when he made the leap from Ole Miss to the New York Giants. But, with the retirement of Kevin Gilbride and the subsequent hiring of Ben McAdoo as offensive coordinator, that's exactly what he'll face heading into the 2014 season.
However, for a football savvy guy like Eli, there is no real concern about picking things up. Rather, Manning looks at this new challenge with a rookie's excitement, saying it will be fun to learn and operate a fresh offensive system.
"In a way it will be exciting," Manning said on Thursday. "You have to come in and you have to learn some new things. Obviously, what the changes will be — if it will be completely changed with the terminology and formations or if we'll keep some of those things and bring in all of his concepts — I don't know if the coaches have all figured that out yet as well."
The luxury for Manning is that McAdoo and his new system aren't completely foreign. In addition to speaking with McAdoo prior to his hire, Eli actually worked with the former Green Bay Packers quarterback coach for two weeks leading up to the 2012 Pro Bowl (the Packers' staff coached the NFC).
"I was very impressed with him and his offensive mindset," Manning said. "I'm excited about what he'll bring to the Giants. I look forward to getting into some meetings, getting with him, and seeing what I need to do better and how I can learn."
Manning and some of his teammates have discussed beginning their private offseason workouts (dubbed "Camp Eli" during the NFL Lockout) as early as February in an effort to get a jump on this new system and to avoid some of the "disconnect" suffered this past season.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Victor Cruz Excited to Have Ben McAdoo Bringing Packers-Style Offense to New York Giants in 2014
- Ben McAdoo Brings West Coast Influenced Offense to New York Giants; Promises Up-Tempo System
- Craig Johnson Prepared to Help Ben McAdoo Bring New Schemes, Terminology to Giants Offense
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/171o