As offseason awards continue to roll out, many members of the New York Giants have been finding themselves left off of ballots — such is life in New York when your team finishes with a 7-9 record. However, safeties Antrel Rolle and Will Hill have been the exception to the rule, with both earning a variety of offseason awards.
Rolle, of course, has been the more decorated of the two with a Thurman Munson Award, a Second Team All-Pro honor, as well as a trip (however delayed it may have been) to the 2014 NFL Pro Bowl. Additionally, he, like Hill, were also named to ESPN's All-NFC East Team with teammates Cullen Jenkins and Justin Tuck.
"The Giants’ duo makes up our pair of safeties for the NFC East team. Will Hill was second only to New England’s Devin McCourty in our overall safety rankings allowing just a single touchdown all season and only 186 passing yards. He wasn’t beaten for a completion longer than 25 yards all season long and graded well against the run too. Antrel Rolle finally lived up to much of the hype that has surrounded him for years. He graded inside the Top 10 of our safety rankings and is asked to do a lot more in terms of underneath coverage than a lot of other safeties across the league. Quarterbacks targeting Rolle this season had a passer rating of just 43.1."
While both Tuck and Jenkins were left off this version of the All-NFC East Team, the Giants did have a third player named … and it was one you may not have expected.
Linebacker Mark Herzlich also took home a PFF All-NFC East Team honor, having been named to the team due to his outstanding performance on Special Teams.
"This Giant prevents a Dallas clean sweep of the special teamers, notching 10 special teams tackles and three assists for the season."
Herzlich, of course, was grateful for this honor.
"Blessed to see my name with some of the greats on this list," he tweeted.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle Named a 2013 AP Second Team All-Pro
- Four New York Giants Named to ESPN’s All-NFC East Team
- No New York Giants Named to 2014 Pro Bowl; Antrel Rolle Calls His Snub a “Joke”
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle Says Pressure is Still on; Team Must “Win Out”
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle: I Had Many Sleepless Nights When Team was 0-6
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16za