The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have hired Jason Licht as their next General Manager, reports Jay Glazer of FOX Sports. The decision comes on the heels of both Licht and New York Giants Vice President of Player Evaluation, Marc Ross, being named finalists for the position. Each received a second interview with the team prior to the hiring or Licht.
In addition to Ross and Licht, who previously acted as the Arizona Cardinals' Vice President of Player Personnel, the Buccaneers also interviewed Atlanta Falcons Director of Player Personnel Lionel Vital, Tennessee Titans Vice President of Player Personnel Lake Dawson and Washington Redskins Director of Pro Personnel Morocco Brown.
Meanwhile, Ross was also previously under consideration for the Miami Dolphins GM job, but things on that front seem to have fallen silent as their search continues.
Last year, Ross interviewed with the New York Jets, Chicago Bears and Carolina Panthers for their general manager jobs but was not hired. Ironically enough, Ross' former colleague with the Giants, Dave Gettleman, was hired by the Panthers.
Ross first joined the Giants on May 18, 2007 and organized his first draft the following year. During his tenure as Director of College Scouting, the Giants have found draft gems in Terrell Thomas, Hakeem Nicks, Linval Joseph, Will Beatty, Jason Pierre-Paul, Prince Amukamara, Jacquian Williams, David Wilson and Rueben Randle to name a few.
In late May of last year, Ross was promoted to Vice President of Player Evaluation after his GM interviews fell through.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Marc Ross a Likely Candidate for Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ General Manager Position?
- Marc Ross Being Eyed for Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Miami Dolphins General Manager Vacancies
- New York Giants VP of Player Evaluation Marc Ross to Have Second Interview with Buccaneers?
- Should New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese Be on the ‘Hot Seat’ in 2013?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16y3