January 20th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Once upon a time, Perry Fewell was a head coach in the NFL. And while it was an interim stint with the Buffalo Bills — a stint that saw the team go 3-4 in 2009 — it was more than enough to provide him the necessary motivation to return to that post. Since then however, Fewell has been unable to break down that door. He's interviewed with a number of teams in recent years, including the Washington Redskins earlier this offseason, but just hasn't landed his dream gig.

Still, the New York Giants defensive coordinator is not giving up. At 51-years-old, Fewell maintains that he has head coaching aspirations and is working each year to ultimately reach that goal.

“I have aspirations of being a head coach. I’m striving everyday to improve myself and my marketability to become a head coach,” Fewell told the Gaston Gazette. “Coaching is a highly competitive arena, so it’s not something I take lightly.”

In addition to the aforementioned Redskins, Fewell has also had interviews with the Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Cleveland Browns and Tennessee Titans. However, each of those interviews came on the heels of a 2011 Super Bowl run by the Giants, and none of them panned out.

“Every year, if a club has an opening, you have to ask ‘Is it the right fit for Perry Fewell and the right fit for that club?’” he said. “Every club is not the right fit when you go in for an interview. Hopefully, I’m there to capture that opportunity when the time is right. I’m humbled at the opportunity to interview for those positions.”

For now, Fewell says he remains focused on the Giants and their defense, adding that he is signed through the 2014-2015 season. But, with only a year remaining, notes that contract extension talks between he and the team could potentially begin as early as February.

In other words, Fewell is likely around for the long haul. Or until he gets hired as a head coach elsewhere. One of the two.

photo credit: Chris Kunz via photobucket cc

Tags: Buffalo, Buffalo Bills, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Perry Fewell

26 Responses to “New York Giants, Perry Fewell Could Discuss Contract Extension as Early as February: Report”

1.  kujo says:

I really hate it be this guy, but I wonder how many times Brady has been called a “thug” after one of his many post-game poutfests or angry tirades?

•  James Stoll says:

Brady isn’t a thug, more a cry baby. Self entitled. Shocked and betrayed when it doesn’t go his way.
      Son neither Sherman nor appealing.

As for Fewel, please God, no contract extension.

•  kujo says:

See. that’s what I’m saying, Jim–there’s a racial component here. You’d never call a white guy a “thug,” no matter how angry or blustery his interviews were. It doesn’t matter that Richard Sherman is a Stanford graduate whose intelligence and upbringing are public knolwedge–he’s black, and he raised his voice at a skinny blonde lady, so obviously he’s gotta be called a “thug.”

The word has racial overtones.

•  Hanshi says:

White or black has nothing to do with it. Thug is the wrong word. He is a talented, classless a$$hole. He should try to act like he’s been there before.

•  BillyS says:

Yeah, I’m not sure thug is the word to use. Sherman acted like an immature turd. It doesn’t matter what Crabtree said to him because Sherman looks WAY worse right now. He looks like a sore winner and is gloating way too much. I understand being happy and excited, but he just sounds so damn annoying right now. It’s like a kid who wins who just won’t shut up and rubs it in a losing kid’s face. As for Brady, well…he’s a crybaby. He doesn’t get a “punk” label because he has more of a self-entitled crybaby label. It’s not like Brady constantly has “twitter wars” and rubs things in another teams’ face *that* much. Sherman was just out of control and cocky beyond belief. That’s not saying Sherman isn’t cocky or anything, but the attitude wears thin and he comes off looking immature. Leave everything on the field.

•  kujo says:

I suppose calling his “class” is fair–although, I happen to think that the power of the context sort of ameliorates his culpability here. But you can’t say that race “has nothing to do with it.” People saw a black guy yelling, talking smack, and being aggressive, and the word many of them used to describe it is a racially-charged word like “thug.” They didn’t say “Wow, that was handled poorly.” Or “Man, that wasn’t what I would have done.”

They said the words “thug,” “ignorant,” “fool” or “clown.”

•  Krow says:

Richie Incognito … thug.

2.  kujo says:

Perry is Gilbride-esque, in the sense that his scheme works…ish…

He’s okay, and his scheme has been successful in the past. But the problem is that his pratfalls are well known, and are approaching the point at which they’re just intrinsic. You could do worse, but you could also do better. It’s the death of contentedness.

•  BillyS says:

Fewell is a conundrum because 1 day he’ll play super aggressive and help mask our weaknesses and disguise blitzes and all that, but then other times he has the most vanilla defense you’ll ever see and not make adjustments. I don’t know what to make of him because I just don’t think he’s very good at fixing things on the fly. There were a bunch of injuries so he can’t completely be blamed for that, but I also wouldn’t be mad if they went out and replaced him with someone else.

3.  Dirt says:

People getting on Sherman for his interview, while entitled to their opinion, should chill, in my opinion.

Guy just got done playing in one of the most intense football games I’ve ever seen. He just made the play to get his team to the Super Bowl. Against a player he’s had beef with. Coached by his college coach, who passed him up in the pros. And all this happed about 3 minutes earlier.

Can you give the guy a minute to settle himself down? He was perfectly reasonable on the set a while later, having been given time to let it all soak in.

I’d take 11 Richard Shermans on my defense.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I am with Dirt here, I would not have used the word “thug” but I wish we had a few on our team, Sherman is a gamer, and tough. Hell I’d take him on my team any day of the week. Aside from Rolle and Diehl we don’t have any tough guys on our team. We need some.

If Perry dialed up a few more creative blitzes … and a few less 3-man rushes … I’d be fine with the guy. But that ‘bend then break’ bullshat is just not Giants football.

Both the Pats and the 49ers are whining … priceless. With good reason, but I’m still lovin’ it like McDonald’s … ba da ba ba ba …

6.  jb322 says:

Richard Sherman is a beast, I wish he played for the Giants, for that matter I wish somebody on the Giants played with that intensity. I don’t care what he said, he was obviously still amped up, cut the man some slack.

7.  skinnydoogan says:

Besides, who wasn’t totally jealous watching these two teams play, a bunch of nasty bast**** on both sides of the ball beating each other senseless, that was football. I’d take Sherman and Lynch in a second on our team.

8.  skinnydoogan says:

Watching Lynch not just run but stampede his own guys and the others makes me sick, that used to be Giants football.

•  Krow says:

We shy away from guys with troublesome attitudes. Unfortunately those are the ones who play that kind of ball. They’re crushing people while our gentle souls are in Milan at Fashion Week.

9.  Eric S says:

Taylor Lewan. Tackle. Projected to go around where we’re picking. Real nasty sob. Slot him in at right tackle. Back up the brinks truck for Alex Mack. Slide Pugh inside to guard and let Mosley compete with a decent stop gap.