Once upon a time, Perry Fewell was a head coach in the NFL. And while it was an interim stint with the Buffalo Bills — a stint that saw the team go 3-4 in 2009 — it was more than enough to provide him the necessary motivation to return to that post. Since then however, Fewell has been unable to break down that door. He's interviewed with a number of teams in recent years, including the Washington Redskins earlier this offseason, but just hasn't landed his dream gig.
Still, the New York Giants defensive coordinator is not giving up. At 51-years-old, Fewell maintains that he has head coaching aspirations and is working each year to ultimately reach that goal.
“I have aspirations of being a head coach. I’m striving everyday to improve myself and my marketability to become a head coach,” Fewell told the Gaston Gazette. “Coaching is a highly competitive arena, so it’s not something I take lightly.”
In addition to the aforementioned Redskins, Fewell has also had interviews with the Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, Cleveland Browns and Tennessee Titans. However, each of those interviews came on the heels of a 2011 Super Bowl run by the Giants, and none of them panned out.
“Every year, if a club has an opening, you have to ask ‘Is it the right fit for Perry Fewell and the right fit for that club?’” he said. “Every club is not the right fit when you go in for an interview. Hopefully, I’m there to capture that opportunity when the time is right. I’m humbled at the opportunity to interview for those positions.”
For now, Fewell says he remains focused on the Giants and their defense, adding that he is signed through the 2014-2015 season. But, with only a year remaining, notes that contract extension talks between he and the team could potentially begin as early as February.
In other words, Fewell is likely around for the long haul. Or until he gets hired as a head coach elsewhere. One of the two.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Have Yet to Discuss Contract Extension with Eli Manning
- Washington Redskins Hire Jay Gruden as Head Coach; Perry Fewell Like to Remain with Giants
- New York Giants’ Perry Fewell Will Meet with Washington Redskins on Monday
- Would Steve Spagnuolo Be a Likely Replacement Option for New York Giants If Perry Fewell Leaves?
- Washington Redskins Granted Permission to Interview Giants Defensive Coordinator Perry Fewell
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16wn