The New York Giants may not have impressed as a whole during the 2013 season, but one of their bright spots was rookie offensive lineman Justin Pugh. Not only was Pugh the Giants' first first-round pick to start all 16 games since Lawrence Taylor did it in 1981, but he was also the highest graded first-round tackle by Pro Football Focus and was named to the Pro Football Writers of America's All-Rookie Team.
"Surgery on my thumb went great. Procedure was nothing major. Hanging out now waiting to go home," Pugh tweeted on Monday.
Although Pugh didn't detail exactly what was done to his thumb, a few short weeks of rest and rehab are all that's likely ahead for him. After that, it should be smooth sailing for him as he enters his second offseason with the team.
What lies ahead for Pugh becomes the real question. There's been much speculation about him moving inside to guard, but it's nothing he's given too much thought to. However, shortly after their 7-9 season ended, Pugh came right out and said he's willing to do whatever the Giants ask of him, even if it means switching position.
“I think I could play wherever they need me to play,” Pugh added. “I’m not going to say ‘I need to play this position.’ I want to win games. I want to go to the playoffs. I want to keep the quarterback upright. So if that’s me at tackle, me at guard, me at center, I’ll play.”
photo credit: Sean Thornton
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Will Beatty Undergoes Successful Surgery to Repair Broken Leg; No Ligament Damage
- New York Giants’ David Diehl Needs Thumb Surgery; Will Make Retirement Decision Within Weeks
- New York Giants’ Damontre Moore Undergoes Shoulder Surgery; Will Be Ready by OTAs
- New York Giants’ Justin Pugh Reflects on Rookie Season; Says He’ll Switch Positions If Team Asks
- New York Giants’ Justin Pugh Has Been Out-Performing Other First-Round Lineman
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16ws