New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle Will Replace Earl Thomas in 2014 Pro Bowl

January 20th, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Safety Antrel Rolle was a tremendous bright spot during an otherwise abysmal 2013 season for the New York Giants. He went above and beyond, leaving it all out on the field each week, proving that he earned the right to be named a team captain. It's for that reason his 2014 Pro Bowl snub was such a difficult pill to swallow.

“Tell me which safety has better numbers and made more game changing plays than me this year? I’ll wait!” Rolle tweeted after his Pro snub. “This Pro Bowl shit is a joke. … That’s why I play for myself, teammates, organization, family and fans. Nothing else matters. All this has done is added more fuel to my fire!”

But, as the saying goes, what's meant to be will be. And while he wasn't originally named to the Pro Bowl, instead being listed as a second alternate, he's going to be headed to Hawaii anyway.

With the Seattle Seahawks now on their way to Super Bowl XLVIII where they'll take on the Denver Broncos, safety Earl Thomas is no longer eligible to play in the league's all-star game. As such, Rolle now gets the call and will be Big Blue's lone representative this weekend at the Pro Bowl, where he'll be making his third appearance.

“It’s never been about going to Hawaii,” Rolle told Giants.com on Monday. “I’ve been to Hawaii before. I’ve enjoyed the festivities, I’ve enjoyed the honor of being a Pro Bowl safety, a Pro Bowl player. That was never what it was about. It was always about getting what I very well deserved and what I accomplished throughout the year and going out there and representing my team, the New York Giants.”

“It means everything to go out there and represent your team. We didn’t have the best season. So to go out there and represent my team and to be solidified as a Pro Bowl safety speaks volumes for myself as well as the organization.”

In addition to the Pro Bowl, Rolle was named a Second Team All-Pro by the AP and voted onto ESPN All-NFC East Team alongside teammates Will Hill, Justin Tuck and Cullen Jenkins. He will also receive the Thurman Munson Award at a New York City Gala in February.

Rolle's Pro Bowl appearance will also be good for his bank account, as the veteran safety had a $100,000 Pro Bowl clause written into his contract.

This year will mark the first time the Giants have a sole representative at the Pro Bowl since 2007, when defensive end Osi Umenyiora flew solo.

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Earl Thomas, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Seattle, Seattle Seahawks

13 Responses to “New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle Will Replace Earl Thomas in 2014 Pro Bowl”

Repost:

kujo says:
    January 20, 2014 at 1:15 PM
    Great point made by GOAT at the tail end of the last thread. Is there a team that has drafted better than Seattle and San Fran have over the last few years? That’s why those teams are young and loaded the way they are. And in order for us to put this thing back together, we need to make the right decisions on draft day.

GOAT56 says:
    January 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    I think Seattle is more impressive because they have been good for the most part the last decade. They have had to make smart draft picks. SF sucked for the most part and just compiled high picks so they are more just a benefit to how the NLF is designed. All of Seattle’s top players besides Thomas and the LT were all acquired from non first round picks. That’s a great job by Seattle’s organization.

•  Krow says:

When something looks too good to be true there’s usually a reason. The Seahawks remind me of those 1980s Steelers teams. Where low round picks packed on 25-50 pounds of muscle and turned into HOFers. There was a reason then … and I’m wondering if it’s the same reason now.

Look it would be crazy for me to say that’s not a possibility but I’m going to view it from the everything it on the the u and up view.

Some forget that at his core Pete Carroll is a DB coach so him finding some talents in the late rounds and then coaching them up is plausible. Sherman made the the switch to CB late in college which is why he was drafted late, Sam Sheild from GB made a similar late transition and wasn’t even drafted. I think NFL just missed on his upside. Kam Chancellor is a player I can’t believe went in the 5th round, I saw him play in college and still can’t believe he was drafted at least by the 3rd round. The other CB Maxwell I don’t know much about but he looks good. One thing that’s consistent and I think it’s a function of coaching is how all their DBs play the ball. The all seem to have great ball skills which we all saw it the game we played versus them. To me it seems the trick with Seattle is that they are physical and have great ball skills. I think their CBs as shown in the ATL playoff game last year can be beaten by speed. Thomas is the type of WR than can make some plays versus their DBs. SFs WRs are a bad match up because they are physical but not fast save for Davis.

I think Carroll also has created an atmosphere of competition. Wilson given the circumstances would have been the starter for only Carroll last year to begin the season. Low round picks know that if they perform they have a fair chance to earn playing time.

•  Krow says:

I’m probably a lot older than you, but everything they say about Seattle they said about those old Steelers teams. They played with that same “ragin” attitude too. People are getting wise on how to fool the tests. Hell, Lance Armstrong passed 500 of them. They lawyer up and fight suspensions too. Often getting off on technicalities like a certain pair of DBs from the Northwest.

I’m not saying I know anything. But the comparisons are creepy. And there’s a fair amount of smoke for there to be no fire.

I don’t got back to those Pitt teams. Our 17-0 lost to Chicago in 85′ is my first clear football memories. But I don’t see Seattle as necessarily more attitude or fierceness just more skilled. That’s the difference in my view. Actually, I think the Bmore secondary played similar last year but just weren’t as skilled. I actually think SF defense is a more physical but the Seattle DBs are just more skilled.

Well deserved for Rolle!

True. But it would have been nice to have him entering 2014 angry and with something to prove.

•  rlhjr says:

Roll will still be angry because everybody knows he’s a sub, That said, there is not better safety in the entire league than Thomas. Followed closely by Berry and Vaccaro.
      But it is a tell that Rolle was the first man up after Thomas in the NFC.

As for the Giants drafting acumen, there was a time when every defensive back they drafted turned into gold or silver. But not the “tin” that is the case now.
      Somewhere over the last seven years they forgot how to select these guys.
      Just like they forgot how to discern if linebackers were any good on not.

I refuse to include offensive linemen in this because a historical look will tell you the best Giant offensive lines were anchored by first second and third round choices.
      And that is fact. Late round O-line “finds” are for depth. Every once in a while, you strike gold but its far from the norm.

IMO
      The fact that 49′er and Seahawk’s draft well has plenty to do with the recent vintage of their head coaches. These guys went into kids houses and talked to their parents. They have a way better grasp of the player/person quotient.
      In more plain speak, they and their assistants know who can play and who cant.

And because they left connections behind who may one day hope to be either a head coach or coordinator there is no shortage of information that is not readily available via normal coaching channels. WHO you know is as important as WHAT you know in some circles. Some might argue in EVERYTHING.

Criticizing Sherman and calling him a thug is absurd. Kid is out on an island and saves the NFC Championship against a receiver and team he hates, and actually IS the best corner in the league. Add the adrenaline still pumping and growing up in Compton and I have no problem with him any more than I ever did with Muhammad Ali. People didn’t like an “uppity” black man back then either.

I hope they don’t extend Fewell. Not unless he’s told to get aggressive or else.

6.  Nosh.0 says:

I wonder if the Seahawks will be asking themselves why they didn’t trade a first rounder for Cruz instead of Harvin after Denver whups them by 20 in 2 weeks.

Also, everyone please just stop with the Rich Sherman defense. You guys all hate Desean Jackson, call him a punk and every other name. But Sherman is what? Enthusiastic? It’s because he went to Stanford right? If he went to Miami this wouldn’t even be a discussion.

There’s a right and wrong way to act on the field. One of my favorite Giants moments was when Shockey caught that ball over Dawkins and jawed at him afterwards. Ditto for Plax talking trash to Harris as he was humiliating him. But those guys didn’t over do it. That was my problem with Jacobs later in his career, he would cross the line, and Sherman crossed the line yesterday. Gotta at least try and pretend to have some class.

Anyway it’s all irrelevant. Peyton is gonna work those youngsters in a couple weeks. I wish I got in on the action while the line was Broncos +2.5.

7.  Nosh.0 says:

One silver lining though; at least we’re spending our time talking about a worthy player in Richard Sherman and not that scrub Russel Wilson. If he wins a Super Bowl the value of the Lombardi trophy immediately drops 15%.

•  BillyS says:

I wouldn’t say Wilson is a scrub, but he’s definitely fallen back to Earth and the hype machine will continue to be chugging along none-the-less. He’s good, but seems to be the type of guy who gets lucky more times than not. I’d like to see him with some weapons and be able to throw from the pocket instead of scrambling in the backfield for 50 yards until coverage happens to break down. He’s great when it comes to extending plays, but those types of plays are also the type that you don’t want all the time because the longer he holds onto the ball the more likely he’ll either be sacked, make a bad decision/throw, or one of his linemen will get called for a hold (even though the refs seem SO damn lax when it comes to calling holds now!). I guess I just like QBs who can scramble when they have to, but also have a good pocket presence. Again, I don’t mind a QB who can run, scramble, and extend plays. But I like ones who can actually survive in a pocket. He reminds me a bit of Steve McNair (one of my All-Time favorites), but the decision making overall will have to improve. He’s still no Eli.