Any lingering hope that Hakeem Nicks and the New York Giants will come to terms on a long-term contract seems to be dwindling, as Ian Rapport of NFL Network reports that the wide receiver is not expected to return in 2014.
In addition, Rapport also revealed that Nicks was fined several times by the Giants in 2013 for both being late to team meetings/film review and for missing injury treatment. Apparently, Nicks battled through a wide range of injuries that went undisclosed during the season, but failing to show up for treatment seems curious.
Than again, the table was set early in 2013 when Nicks failed to show up for Organized Team Activities (OTAs) for reasons that still remain murky — reasons that General Manager Jerry Reese recently refused to address, telling reporters if they wanted to know, they should ask Nicks himself.
As this offseason began, Nicks repeatedly stated he'd like to return to the Giants, but also noted that business is business and wouldn't rule out playing for a team like the New York Jets. He also said he wanted to meet with the team — which he and his agent did — to discuss "organizational stability" prior to the retirement of then offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride.
"Well, it just didn’t happen for him. We all scratch our heads over that one because when Hakeem came back he wanted it more than we will ever know. He had certain things happen year to him,” Coughlin said in early January, adding that Eli Manning had lost trust in his wideouts. “A couple of times the ball would be there and he just didn’t go for the ball and a couple other time he just wasn’t able to get himself open on a continuous basis. It just wasn’t a very productive year, as much as we would like to think. A couple years ago there wasn’t a more productive receiver than Hakeem. Hopefully for his benefit and his family, he comes back and has a great year."
Ultimately, this news should come as no real surprise. Hakeem Nicks hasn't been Hakeem Nicks in several years and his attitude toward the team and the game of football seemed to deteriorate this past season.
Some potential suitors include the aforementioned New York Jets, as well as the Carolina Panthers and New England Patriots.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Multiple Teams Preparing Trade Offers for New York Giants WR Hakeem Nicks: Report
- Victor Cruz Has “Gut Feeling” Hakeem Nicks Will Return to New York Giants
- New York Giants not Actively Shopping Hakeem Nicks; Unlikely to Trade Him by Deadline: Report
- New York Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul, Hakeem Nicks Want You to Know It’ll Be OK; Team Will Rebound
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16vp