New York Giants’ Jacquian Williams Earns $744K Player Performance Escalator

January 18th, 2014 at 8:55 AM

'Super Bowl-10-2' photo (c) 2012, Stephen Luke - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ A year ago, the New York Giants saw a number of players trigger escalators in their respective contracts due to solid play. Here at the end of the 2013 regular season? Only one: linebacker Jacquian Williams.

Williams, a sixth-round pick of the Giants in 2011, earned a $744,000 Player Performance Escalator (PPE), reports Over the Cap. The escalator will raise his 2014 salary from $645,000 to $1,389,000 and his 2014 cap hit from $664,670 to $1,408,670.

As described by Over the Cap, players can earn a PPE if they meet the following guidelines:

"The PPE is available to all offensive and defensive players selected between round 3 and 7 of the draft during the 4th year of their contract. If earned this raises the salary of the player to that of the lowest Restricted Free Agent Tender. To earn that escalator a player must play in at least 35% of the snaps in two of his first three seasons or 35% of the total snaps over the three year period."

A year ago, defensive tackle Linval Joseph, wide receiver Hakeem Nicks and offensive lineman David Diehl and Chris Snee all earned contract escalators. Those escalators effectively raised the Giants' 2013 cap number by $980,000. By comparison, Williams' PPE will raise the Giants' 2014 cap number by his escalator amount — $744,000.

27 other teams had players reach numerous escalators, with the Buffalo Bills leading the way, paying out over $7.08M.

Tags: Chris Snee, David Diehl, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jacquian Williams, Linval Joseph, New York, New York Giants, NFL

22 Responses to “New York Giants’ Jacquian Williams Earns $744K Player Performance Escalator”

Hahahaha … Diehl and $nee … hahaha. This has to be a prank of some sort, right ? Well played …

2.  Eric S says:

Repost

Eric S says:
    January 18, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    “Just when many became smug in their thoughts of “nothing will ever change on the New York Giants front,” ”

I must say Dan, I love the site. And I understand everyone donates their time to write articles. That said, I think it’s poor form for Jen to be condescending in her writing towards the people who post here.

You’re trying to build a business and you’re doing wonderfully as this is by far my favorite Giants site. And all though I don’t post as often as I’d like to and can’t be counted amongst many who “became smug” it’s probably best not to take shots at your posters in the articles. This is the second time I’ve noticed something like this ( first time was a Doug Rush article). It’s off-putting. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for all your hard work.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I certainly don’t take it as condescending. Guess that’s subjective (as is every written word). Some people interpret things differently and the only way to avoid various interpretations is to write nothing at all. Unfortunately, we’re not in the business of not writing.

That said, a lot of people were smug in their thoughts of “nothing will ever change.” So is calling a spade a spade really too sensitive a thing for this Politically Correct world? Someone is always offended by something, which goes back to my previous statement: can only avoid that by writing nothing, and that’s not the business we’re in.

I apologize if you’ve been offended, but I truly see nothing wrong with what Jen wrote. Had I, I would have edited it accordingly.

3.  skinnydoogan says:

Eric S lighten up bro, take it from me, the original sensitive poster, they are not attacking us, its just fodder for us to read and comment about. The writers on here as do the posters, do not know each other from a hole in the wall. For all I know you could be my neighbor Eddie the welder, who really cares. Read, post and enjoy, that is what I learned.

4.  Dirt says:

Honestly, my only issue with Jen’s piece was the continuation of this cute story that Killdrive retired

5.  jfunk says:

As for the escalators…ouch for the Bills. Oh by the way…you have $7MM less cap space next year than you thought, have fun with that.

Of course if youve got that many guys hitting these, its probably because you haven’t spent much on salaries to begin with.

6.  skinnydoogan says:

This is appropriate too…

•  jb322 says:

This was my thought exactly! It was the first thing that came to mind when I started reading the comments.

7.  jb322 says:

Why you got to be dissing welders? huh? huh? Truly offended dude. tsk tsk