Shortly after Kevin Gilbride announced his retirement from the New York Giants and the National Football League, he made the media rounds, discussing his career, Super Bowl championships and defenses from across the league. And when asked about the Seattle Seahawks' defense and their "Legion of Boom" secondary, which is led by cornerback Richard Sherman, Gilbride offered some praise, but also claimed they've perfected the art of holding and pass interference.
“You just have to prepare [the receivers] to recognize what they’re in for and that is from the moment the game starts until the moment the game ends, guys are going to be up in your face, grabbing you, holding you,” Gilbride told the Wall Street Journal. “If you think they’re going to be called and expect that to be the solution to the problem, you’re going to be sadly mistaken. They’ve perfected the art [of holding].”
Gilbride's comments were nothing that many others hadn't said already this year, but when asked about it earlier in the week, Sherman took exception to the former Giants' offensive coordinator and his statement, asserting that the Seahawks are merely better than anyone else and that's hard to explain away without the accusation of cheating.
“I think he’s a guy that’s a little bit bitter, and his team didn’t score,” Sherman said. “You find a way to explain that to save yourself.”
Sherman, of course, was referencing a 23-0 Week 15 victory over the Giants in which quarterback Eli Manning was intercepted five times — including two by Sherman himself.
This Sunday, the Seahawks will take on the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship game.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Seattle Seahawks’ Richard Sherman: Giants QB Eli Manning Provided Us Bulletin Board Material
- Seattle Seahawks’ Percy Harvin, Brandon Browner & K.J. Wright Out Vs. New York Giants
- New York Giants Embarrassed by Seattle Seahawks in 23-0 Beatdown
- Time Has Come for New York Giants, Kevin Gilbride to Go Their Separate Ways
- New York Giants, Justin Tuck not Looking to Be “Embarrassed” by Seattle Seahawks
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16t8