2013 New York Giants Penalty Data: Eli Manning Near League Lead in Penalties

January 16th, 2014 at 3:00 PM

For the New York Giants, the season has come and gone. To say it was disappointing would be a bit of an understatement, as far more went wrong than right. From injuries to the offensive line, drops to turnovers and missed assignments to missed tackles, the Giants had very little go their way in 2013. And while every single one of those things will be analyzed in the coming weeks and months, something that will ultimately be forgotten about is penalties.

Although the data may be useless now that the season is over, we at Giants 101 thought it would be interesting to take a look back and examine exactly how the Giants fared when the yellow flags were thrown. And while using data compiled over at NFL Penalty Stats Tracker, we came up the following numbers that may, or may not, be of interest to you:

Eli Manning Was Heavily Penalized:

Only five players in the NFL were flagged more than Eli Manning in 2013, who ended the season tied for third in the league with 10 penalties. For quarterbacks, Manning came second only to New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees, who drew 12 penalties in 2013.

Five of Manning's 10 penalties came pre-snap — Delay of Game (4) and False Start (1). Eli's five other penalties were all for Intentional Grounding.

Would You Believe:

Seven quarterbacks drew more Delay of Game Penalties than did Eli Manning.

Will Beatty Likes Yellow, Too:

Beatty was second on the Giants with nine total penalties (six accepted), including Offensive Holding (6), False Start (2) and Illegal Use of Hands (1).

Would You Believe, Part II:

Cornerback Prince Amukamara drew seven penalties (six accepted), costing the Giants 70 total yards and an average of 4.375 yards per game. Only Eli Manning cost the Giants more total yards (89) or had a higher penalty yards per game average (5.563).

Amukamara was called for Defensive Holding (3), Defensive Pass Interference (2), Neutral Zone Infraction (1) and Defensive Offsides (1).

Brandon Myers Least Penalized Player:

Not much went right for Myers in 2013, but his struggles had nothing to do with being penalized. Myers was flagged only one time this season — for offensive holding — and was the only full-time starter on the team (who also played all 16 games) to be flagged fewer than three times.

Jon Beason Doesn't Hurt Himself, Either:

Beason drew only one penalty during his time with the Giants — a defensive pass interference against the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 8. While with the Panthers, he was also flagged only one time for a Face Mask.

Offensive Holding Leads the Way:

Of their 91 total penalties in 2013, Offensive Holding was the most-called (12).

Would You Believe, Part III:

While the Giants were flagged 91 times in 2013, their opponents were flagged 105 times. Remarkably, opponents were called for Offensive Holding 24 times and False Start 20 times.

Not Much Company:

The Giants were one of only four teams in the league to be flagged for Illegal Touch Pass. They were also one of only seven teams penalized for Fair Catch Interference.

Photo credit: Ed Yourdon / Foter.com / CC BY-SA

Tags: Brandon Myers, Eli Manning, Football, Jon Beason, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Will Beatty

47 Responses to “2013 New York Giants Penalty Data: Eli Manning Near League Lead in Penalties”

1.  GIANTT says:

So , lets see , Delay of game , oh yeah Offensive coordinator got the call in late
    so not Elis fault
    Intentional grounding ? Running for his life b/c of poor protection from the O-line . So in reality he had 1 penalty attributable to him . Next year with a new OC and improved line protection then I expect Eli to be way down the list .

Repost:

Unless we lose Beason there is no chance we draft a LB in the first round. While it’s nice to have 3 good LBs it just doesn’t make sense in today’s NFL. We are going to play 5 DBs at least 50% of the time. Paysinger might not be a star but he did enough to prove he’s at least a starting level LB.

With the changes we have made on the offensive side and Nicks looking unlikely to return I think WR is a good possibility. Watkins and Lee are 2 WRs perfect for more a West Coast type of system. They have the YAC ability needed to excel with some shorter passes.

The OL players that definitely seem worth a pick at 12 are only Mathews and Robinson, both of which will likely be gone. CB makes some sense not as much as WR.

Robinson only was healthy the last part of last year. He’s only been here two years and was considered raw coming out. He still has the athletic ability so IMO it’s too early to assume the kid can’t contribute next year at TE as either a starter or #2 TE.

It will be interesting to see what we do at TE. Other than when Finley has been healthy GB has gotten good production over the years from non descript TEs. Quarless just seems to make too much sense.

An OL player I would look into as well from GB is Newhouse. He’s been injured so he has durability concerns. But he should come relatively cheap and has good upside as a 3rd OT.

•  JBeast3 says:

I somewhat agree with you here. While i agree OL is not a worthy pick unless Matthews falls and WR does seem like a prime area to look in to but i think you down played the CB angle. The Chance to get a STUD opposite Prince and help to possibly create a monster shutdown defensive backfield where we can leave both CBs on an island and have safeties come up to help stuff the run or take away underneath passes is a huge deal.

If Nicks leaves we aren’t dire in the WR corp it would need some help but not really a STUD because we still have Cruz, Randle and yes JJ. a second or third round WR can suffice. If we did go WR in the 1st who will play opposite prince? McBride? Hosely? Webster? Give me Dennard in the first Cyrill Richardson or another OG in the second and a WR or LB in the third. Obviously i would like to sign a FA OG and OT

3.  JimStoll says:

however they do it, they need to add about 7 offensive linemen to the roster and hope 3 of them are true and substantial upgrades

Baas will be back because there isn’t a center on the team
    we can almost guarantee he’ll get injured since he has for each of the last 3 years, and when not injured he’ll be mediocre to poor, because that’s what he’s been in each of his 3 seasons with us
    seeing is believing
    Beatty was so monumentally horrible this season that it is hard to imagine him actually being good
    plus he’s always been soft and now he has a leg break to recover from
    my money says he’s 50/50 at best to start camp and will not be ready for the regular season
    Snee is long since past his prime and a real liability
    he hasn’t been healthy since 2008
    two hip surgeries
    he’s never coming back as a quality player
    hopefully he simply won’t come back
    Boothe is what he is, a good depth guy; a weak starter
    the back-ups – Brewer, Mosely, Goodwin, Reynolds – nothing to impress; certainly nothing to think they are starter material

the Giants need a lot of linemen and they need a few really good ones or they will continue to stink offensively

4.  kujo says:

You know what people used to call “raw?”

“Inexperienced.” “Unprepared.” “Not ready for the NFL.”

Now, as a 5th, 6th or 7th round pick, if you want to roll the dice on a player who is any of the aforementioned? Fine. But in the 4th round? Psh!

5.  Nosh.0 says:

Surprised so many people have given up on an OT in the first round. Obviously people are forgetting what a monstrosity this OL was. Basically as bad of a unit as we’ve ever had. Throw in Beatty’s injury and we need 3-4 new starters across the line.

That’s why I can basically guarantee Joseph is gone. Because if the choice is to pay Alex Mack or Linvall Joseph, the answer is Mack and it’s not close.

This is not some rebuild that can be done on the cheap. The Giants will have to invest some $$$ and some high round picks. And I believe they do so with the #12 pick.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Especially if Lee and Watkins are gone. CB would be a legit option but from reading reports the top DB’s don’t sound like they have the kind of elite athleticism that would warrant that high of a pick. Not with such glaring needs at OT. If Cyrus Alabama or Auburn kid is available they seem like very logical picks.

•  kujo says:

Don’t know what you’re reading, brother, but all I hear is how great of a prospect both Gilbert and Dennard are.

•  kujo says:

I think it’s the whole what they “should” do versus what they “will” do.

I think there’s an argument out there that the team SHOULD move on from Beatty by drafting his replacement, or moving Pugh to left tackle and drafting someone to replace him at RT. I think that’s absurd, not to mention unlikely–we’re not going to overreact with Beatty, particularly since he a) just signed a new contract, and b) appears to have suffered a relatively clean break that should heal fine and not inhibit his participation in the offseason.

Similarly, I think we SHOULD drop David Baas like a bag of potatoes, but I know that we very likely will not.

6.  William says:

I get the logic for a top corner but thats so yesterday thinking. What we learned this year is without an offense you can’t even dream of competing in this league. Our defense played pretty solid in any number of games that we got blown out of this year. This is a league trend that we have been slow to pick up on, if you go defense at 12, by the time you make your second round pick there might not be an o-lineman worthy of the second round slot, nor a decent WR. I’m telling you in a few years the entire first round may go 90% offense out of sheer necessity. Its not that defense isn’t important its that the rules basically make it impossible to stop anyone on a consistent basis.
    To me its solid tackle or WR at 12, if as we can assume Nicks is toast.

•  kujo says:

Repeat after me:

Beatty is our left tackle. There are other left tackles that are better, but this one is ours for the foreseeable future.

•  Nosh.0 says:

This is where we disagree. I think there is a legit chance Beatty moves to RT.

The way he played this season, plus with the injury, I don’t think you can assume the LT job is his.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Also I wouldn’t rule out taking a OT at #12 and starting the kid at RT to begin his career then moving him to the left side as he gains experience and confidence.

I know the whole “road grader” (RT’s need to be more physical than LT’s) argument but I don’t buy it. We see tackles switch sides all the time in this league. To me the overwhelming difference between the positions is that the Left side comes with much more pressure. And Beatty has admitted the pressure got to him.

So I think a move to RT, along with a vet or 2, would go a long way to getting WB back on track.

•  kujo says:

Nosh, I’m sorry, but what makes you think Beatty could be a RT? I’m genuinely curious because I see Beatty as a typical B+ LT who, at his best, is a very good pass blocker and an acceptable runblocker. Normally, B+ RTs are the opposite of those things–very good run blockers and an acceptable, or slightly better, pass blockers.

•  Nosh.0 says:

We just disagree. I don’t subscribe to the argument that RT needs a much different skill set than LT.

I think Beatty at RT takes a huge amount of pressure off him. I also believe that if you’re going to have a guy that gets beat consistently like Will did this year, better to have him on the Right than the left.

And finally, if there is a potential to grab a franchise Tackle at #12, Will Beatty will have nothing to do with the decision to draft one or not.

•  kujo says:

Well, you’re right–we absolutely disagree on the existence of different skillsets for left and right tackles.

But I will say this; if there was ANY year to take a really exceptional left tackle prospect, this is that year. Given where we’re slated to draft in the first 2 rounds, and given the depth at that spot in this year’s draft, you could be correct in stating that it’s possible that potential (or “value”) trumps need. I just don’t think we “need” to draft a left tackle.

I really think Krow’s assessment the other day–sign a couple of upper-mid round young veterans, draft an interior guy– is the way we go.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Well I don’t think we “need” to draft a tackle at #12. Especially if we address some OL positions in free agency.

But man it seems like the obvious pick right now based on need, value, opportunity, and just how effing terrible Will Beatty was last season.

P.S. Kujo I’m surprised you seem against drafting a tackle in the first round. You’ve been screaming at this team for 2 solid years to address the OL. #12 pick in this years draft seems like the perfect opportunity to do it.

•  kujo says:

I think we have our 2 bookends. Now it’s time to turn inward and find us a guard. Truth be told, I’d like us to move down into the low-teens or high 20s and draft Cyril Richardson.

•  Nosh.0 says:

The overriding point is that Will Beatty does not, and should not, have any impact what so ever in how we choose to construct our OL for next season. The only thing we know about Beatty is that he will have to be on the roster and have a starting position because of his salary.

But this idea that we won’t address LT because Will Beatty is on the roster isn’t one I believe the Giants subscribe to. We need to remember that Will Beatty put together one of the all time poop fests you’ll ever see by a left tackle. He sucked on a spectacular level this season. That should be fresh in everyones mind when deciding what to do with this unit going forward.

7.  Dirt says:

Part of me is rooting for them to draft a DE – the JPP of DEs – to see the drunken, profanity-laced tirade from kujo that ensues.

•  kujo says:

Not gonna happen, bro.

The days of my drunken, profanity-laced tirades are long gone.

Besides, I happen to be on-record as being in favor of us selecting a DE in the 1st round. I’d rank it CB-WR-DE at this point.

•  Dirt says:

Dude, drunken, profanity-laced tirades are what makes the world – and the internets – go ’round. If people don’t like it, harden the fvk up!

Save the respectful, intelligent discourse for the library. This is a fan site!

•  kujo says:

The offseason is young yet.

And I’ll bet Reese does his best to bring out the worst in me!

•  rlhjr says:

The single funniest moment on Giants 101 was Kujo’s response to the possibility of Reese selecting JPP. At that time all the rage was this video of JPP doing like 10 consecutive back flips. All 6’6″ 270 pounds of him. He looked like David Wilson.

When advised that Reese might indeed select JPP, A slightly inebriated Kujo said…

“If he takes Pierre Paul I’m gonna flip a $7!+”

To this very day I laugh out loud every time I think of it. You just had to be “virtually” there. LMAO again….

•  Nosh.0 says:

This surprises me Kujo. You’ve been leading the charge on this site for 2 years about how bad our OL is, and that it needs to be addressed.

Then you’re finally proven right by the OL being a complete disaster this year, throw in the #12th pick of the draft with a likely OT prospect sitting for the taking, and you now switch directions?

It’s like putting in hours of work with a chick and then when she’s about to give it up you decide you’d rather j-e-r-k o/f/f instead.

You need to see this OL thing through.

•  Dirt says:

I actually wouldn’t hate the DE pick. Because we have one who’s all world (we think) when healthy, one who’s probably about to mail it in, one who was Reese’s all time worst pick and one who is (allegedly) raw and unproven. In other words, our top four DEs can be summarized by ?, ?, ? and ?

*disclaimer: I don’t watch college football so I have no idea who would be appropriate at #12*

8.  Nosh.0 says:

I’m just going to assume that the lack of support on this site for taking a Tackle at #12 is simply because it’s too obvious of a pick.

•  Dirt says:

I’d take a tackle if he were the man without question. I was a first class passenger on the “I’d rather play 2013 with Diehl and draft an LT over giving Beatty a ton of money” train. Makes all the sense in the world to stockpile young talent on the worst unit in the National Football League.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Jake Mathews has clearly separated himself from the rest. He’ll go top 3-5.

Robinson from Auburn looks like he has established himself as the clear cut #2 OT in the draft. He might go top 10.

But Leawn and Cyrus Alabama are 2 guys we have to take a serious look at. Even if they do have some questions that the top 2 guys don’t have.

9.  Dirt says:

My Offseason Playbook:

1. Cut $nee
    2. Wish Linval well – let Hankins play and rely on the cheap vets again
    3. Sign Nicks – unlike Linval, his replacement is not on the roster; roll the dice that he gets it back, because if you believe that McAdoo’s system will look more like McCarthy’s and less like Killdrive’s, a healthy Nicks could be dangerous
    4. Sign a reasonable interior lineman
    5. Draft a DE and LT
    6. Fill in the rest based on what’s available

•  Dirt says:

7. Pray for a speedy recovery for David Wilson
      8. Tell McAdoo he needs to explore the 53 1/3 yards of horizontal space in addition to the 60 yards* of vertical space

*35 yards of vertical space based on Eli Manning’s 2013 demonstrated arm strength

10.  Nosh.0 says:

Also didn’t get a chance to chime in on the coaching departures.

Ingram had to go as he, along with other coaches, completely effed up the David Wilson situation. He was in the doghouse from the day he got drafted, and the decision to not give an explosive player like him 10-15 touches a game, especially with our offense being inept for the past season and a half, is grounds for firing.

If David Wilson comes into the league needing to learn how to pass block, and secure the ball better, I expect our RB coach to teach him those things. Instead they just put him in the dog house, and publicly complained that he didn’t know how to pass block. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out coach.

Pope seems to have gotten the short end of the stick. As he turned average players into very good ones for us year after year. So that was kind of surprising. But at the end of the day this offense was broken, and I can’t complain about a shake up of some of the staff.

I know nothing about our new OC, but he’s not Gilbride. So I’m excited about that. And I think we can all agree that our offense and especially Eli, needed a new voice with some new ideas.