New York Giants Among League-Worst in Local Market TV Ratings

January 15th, 2014 at 1:00 PM

For the second consecutive year, the New York Giants watched as their rating fell in the local TV market. In fact, the fall over the last two years (-15% over that span) has dropped the Giants all the way down to the third worst local TV market in the National Football League with a rating of 15.3. Only the New York Jets (12.3) and the Oakland Raiders (10.9) have lower local ratings than Big Blue.

In addition to ranking in the bottom three league-wide, the Giants have also experienced one of the largest dips in local markets, behind only the Pittsburgh Steelers and the aforementioned Jets and Raiders.

The top three local TV markets in 2013 were the New Orleans Saints, Denver Broncos and Green Bay Packers. Meanwhile, the top three gains in local TV markets came via the Seattle Seahawks, Broncos and Kansas City Chiefs.

Oddly, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers saw a 24% increase despite repeatedly battling to stave off blackouts (using the 85% blackout rule).

Neither Giants co-owner John Mara nor Jets owner Woody Johnson are going to be very happy with these numbers. Expect each team to make some adjustments both on and off the field, perhaps including some new advertising, to increase their ratings in local TV markets.

It is worth noting however, that the Giants did play in one of the highest rated National games of the 2013 regular season: a Week 12 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

Photo credit: Mac Armstrong / Foter.com / CC BY-SA

(H/T: Big Blue View)

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Oakland, Oakland Raiders

13 Responses to “New York Giants Among League-Worst in Local Market TV Ratings”

1.  jerseyrich says:

You have to believe that most fans mailed it in after 0-6. I talked about doing it (although I never did) and I LOVE the team. Its not surprising that your average fan stopped watching.

Also, there’s a lot of other things to do in this area on a Sunday.

2.  TuckThis says:

I agree jerseyrich. By week 6 everyone had them written off. ask the yankees how their numbers declined as well. if you give an audience an alternative which beats watching their losing team, the majority will take it. in this area, there are plenty of other things to see and do. This is not rocket science. Put a winning team on the field and the numbers will rise. Duh!

One thing McAdoo will do is make sure that Jernigan is integrated into the offense. And that should be easy.

(I wish I had a dollar for every time I was berated around here over the past few years when I insisted I saw talent in JJ’s few appearances and thought he could contribute if given an opportunity…another one where many will be changing history and claiming “I only meant that he wasn’t better than Cruz”, which no one ever disputed).

A creative OC will make that kid into a serious weapon. And Green Bay has done awfully well with a lack of “big” outside receivers. The myth that every one of those players needs to be 6’4″ or bigger is nonsense. I’m not saying that Jernigan should be thought of as our “X-receiver” as Nicks has been, but I’m sure he can have a very good season if given the opportunity that I am now confident he will be get.

•  jerseyrich says:

Nelson might not be tall, but that guy is a tremendously gifted receiver. And jones isn’t bad either. Cobb is awesome as well. Assuming nicks walks, our top 3 is not better than those 3.

I’ll credit you on JJ though….I figured he was a bust. The kid now looks like he could be a possible break out star in 2014.

I agree that our top three (assuming Nicks is gone or unhealthy) are not better than those three, but they may not be as far off as many think. And I truly believe that if Nicks isn’t back (I am unwilling to assume he won’t be and hope he is a member of the Giants for a long time) we will be drafting a pretty good receiver, which could vault our receiving corps ahead of theirs.

In any case, my main point was that McAdoo did awfully well when the Pack did not have “big” guys on the outside. So he learned for McCarty how to play that way. Something to remember if we start next season with Randle as our only big receiver, and Cruz and Jernigan switching between slot and outside.

•  Eric S says:

Nelson is listed at 6’3″ 217. He’s a big receiver. James Jones is 6’1″. But I agree with your overall point. Didn’t realize Jones turns 30 this March. Thought he was younger.

•  jerseyrich says:

Yeah, I never checked his height and didn’t realize he was that tall. I figured he was about 6 or 6-1.

•  rlhjr says:

REPOST:
      Like I mentioned a few weeks ago, somebody call and ask about Eric Ebron from North Carolina.

rlhjr says:
      January 15, 2014 at 8:21 AM
      “I like the hire but a week ago cautioned. Just because this guy “coached” Rodgers does not necessarily make him the second coming.

I do however like the fresh approach. But will Coughlin like the idea of using a hybrid TE? Green Bay has no clue what a blocking TE is.
      Their offense operates at a high level utilizing hybrid tight ends.
      The Giants favor a blocker who can catch.

Hopefully the guy is given some latitude in designing the O. And yeah like jfunk says, I hope McAdoo can improve upon Eli’s ability to throw screen and other short passes. Eli is a deep ball thrower. He does not excel at screen and slant passes designed to get a playmakers YAC. He generally gets receivers killed throwing that type of ball.”
      ***************************************************************
      MAKE NO MISTAKE, Coughlin works for Mara just like Reese. When Mr. Mara indicated in no uncertain terms that he wanted stronger offensive/defensive lines up popped Pugh, Hankins and Moore.

Anyone thinking that was a total coincidence should most likely thing again. Coughlin expelling coaches should come as no surprise especially in light of McAdoo being brought in. And who was it that Mr. Mara favored in the O-coord search? That’s right kiddies, McAdoo. Connect the dots folks.

The deal boys and girls is simply this; Mr. Mara looked down the Turnpike and saw a first year collage coach taking the division. That team has a defense that came from the toilet to being pretty strong in a year’s time. See Bennie Logan among others. And check the linebacking corps.
      He uses innovative offensive methods he has an all-world running back and explosive receivers. And Bill Belichick is pumping him for advice?
      COM’ON MAN……smell the coffee.

He has tight ends that can be utilized in multiple sets, even outside the hash. Then Mr. Mara wonders (most likely aloud in a meeting with Coughlin and Reese) why a “noob” can win the NFC East one season removed from a collage campus.

I hate to see Pope and Pat Flaherty leave because these guys understand the importance of toughness in December when the team is making a run for the playoffs and beyond. They understood why you have to bring a physical presents to the game on offense and that’s how they coached. Their only crime IMO is they had absolutely $7!+ to work with. But such is the NFL life. The new regime brought in needs to remember those NFL facts of life. And hopefully Coughlin will bring that bit to the table.

I fully expect to see the Giants (as I said two weeks ago) come up with a tight end who can play outside the hash, in the slot or next to an offensive tackle. And the kid from North Carolina might be the one. Either Ebron or player a hell of a lot like him. Hint, IT AINT MYRES.

Look around the league folks. Mr. Mara wants a high revving engine on offense. However, this also has an effect on the defensive side of the ball. Because the will need to be fast and strong up the middle.
      They will need corners that can play zone or be on an island as required.
      And they will need a pass rush and linebackers who can cover ground and blitz. Perry Fewell, don’t ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
      Stand by folks, can you say metamorphosis? Coughlin is following orders, nothing more and damn sure nothing less. BOOK IT peeps.
      The dysfunction just might be over with. If it’s true all I can say is it’s about damn time. No disrespect to TC. He’s a fine coach/orgainizer. But a shake up is what’s required in Blue.

How many teams split the local market like the Giants and Jets ?

•  jfunk says:

There’s also quite a bit going on in the NY/NJ area and an insanely diverse demographic.

There’s not exactly a lot for foreigners running around Green Bay Wisconsin, nor is there a whole heck of a lot of anything competing for their populous’ attention.

5.  TroyThorne says:

I was a big fan of Jernigan when he was drafted as I thought he could be that “swiss-army” knife type of weapon (a la Percy Harvin) who could add a wrinkle to our offense and help keep opposing defenses off balance. With his mini-breakout towards the end of this season and McAdoo’s experience with Randall Cobb over in Green Bay, that might finally come to fruition.

The discussion regarding TEs is an interesting one. Was the obsession with an old school blocking TE part of Gilbride’s system or a requirement laid down by Coughlin? If we want one of the new age receiving TEs, there are some good ones coming out in the draft.

•  Eric S says:

I think the block first, block second, catch third TE was both Coughlin and Gilbride. Their philosophy was to attack vertically. An approach that requires time for the play to develop. Having a TE in as an extra blocker is a necessity. It’s also why they didn’t know what to do with Wilson. Again, in that offense having a RB staying in to block is necessary to allow plays to develop down field.

6.  stuh says:

I like the idea of a different approach on offense, but I can’t do back flips until I see Coughlin buy into it. Also it doesn’t matter unless they improve the Line, because Eli isn’t the most mobile QB in case anyone hasn’t noticed.