Former New York Giants DE Osi Umenyiora to Be Inducted into Troy Hall of Fame

January 15th, 2014 at 11:45 AM

'Aaron Rodgers, Osi Umenyiora' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Former New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora, who is now with the Atlanta Falcons, will be one of eight former student-athletes to be inducted into the Troy University Sports Hall of Fame on Saturday, March 29th the school announced on Tuesday afternoon.

In addition to Umenyiora, Danny Cox (baseball), Mike Griffin (men's golf), Perry Griggs (football), Ted Horstead (football), Anthony Reed (men's basketball), Rick Rhoades (football) and Paul Word (men's basketball) will be inducted.

Troy offered the following excerpt on Umenyiora and his career/accomplishments:

Osi Umenyiora (Football) – One of the most feared defensive lineman in the National Football League, Osi Umenyiora has won a pair of Super Bowl titles and has twice been selected to the NFL Pro Bowl. An All-American following the 2002 season at Troy, Umenyiora was selected by the New York Giants in the second round (56th overall pick) in the 2003 NFL Draft.

The London, England, native's senior year at Troy was one of the best in school history as he finished second in the country with 15 sacks, a total which ranks tied for fifth best in a season in Troy history. Umenyiora recorded 20.5 tackles for loss during that 2002 season to establish a new single-season school record. The record held true for eight seasons until now Atlanta Falcons teammate Jonathan Massaquoi, finished the 2010 campaign with 21.5 tackles for loss. Umenyiora ranks second all-time in Troy history with 38.5 tackles for loss behind only DeMarcus Ware; he also ranks eighth in sacks and 16th in tackles. He holds the Troy single-game record after picking up four sacks against Florida A&M in 2002. Umenyiora's professional career has been just as successful as he led the NFC in sacks in 2005, was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Month in Oct. 2010, set the New York Giants record with six sacks in a game and holds the NFL record after forcing 10 fumbles in 2010.

An individual ticket for the ceremony costs $100, with tables costing $800. For more information on the event, ticketing and potential sponsorship, fans/businesses can contact the Troy Athletic Department at 334-670-3482.

Tags: Atlanta, Atlanta Falcons, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora

15 Responses to “Former New York Giants DE Osi Umenyiora to Be Inducted into Troy Hall of Fame”

1.  Eric S says:

Eric S says:
    January 15, 2014 at 11:55 AM
    Not sure how or why G101 on Facebook wants to portray this as evidence that Coughlin is not too loyal to his assistants as many if us here have speculated and lamented over the years. He was forced to fire Hufnagel and Lewis. If I recall Spags was not his choice but he capitulated. He would not have gotten rid of Gilbride if given the choice.

All you need to ask is this, if Mara doesn’t so publicly and strongly demand accountability and change would Coughlin have let any of these guys go? I say no. He would simply talk about working hard to correct issues and that he believes in every guy there. There would be no change.

•  JBeast3 says:

I think he is too loyal to his coordinators and his vet players, DD, Snee, KG to name a few. These guys stayed a year too long. Any notion that TC is not loyal is ridiculous to say the least

Congrats to Osi for a well-deserved honor. He remains one of the least appreciated members of this team by the fans, but some of us are very well aware that neither of those championships would have happened without him.

•  JBeast3 says:

Agreed, i remember many here wanted him traded year after year after year. His art of sack fumbles was amazing, he saved the giants butts on numerous occasion and was a MAJOR piece to the SB runs

I think too many here discredit Gillbride Jr. He’s a young offensive mind that has grown up around the game. These type of coaches have value. He’s being brought along just like if he wasn’t Gillbride’s son. I think it’s at least fair to give him a year on his own and see what he has. I have seen so many second generation coaches be successful in recent years that I think Gillbride could be of much greater value than assumed.

•  Krow says:

Damn. I find myself agreeing with GOAT again. Very unsettling.

•  pvdeluca says:

not saying jr. is not a talented coach. however, if you just get your first OC job and you are already replacing some of the former OC’s assistant coaches, and one of the remaining coaches happens to be the former OC’s son, i would expect that dude to be fired. it’s basic politics. unless, of course, there was an agreement beforehand to avoid any ugliness with the former OC to keep his son on staff.

Older coaches like Pope and Ingram already have ways that they teach. the younger coaches like Gillbride Jr and Ryan can more easily and be more willing to adjust their coaching style.

Just like you don’t hire a coveted head coach ad tell him who his coordinators will be it’s the same in hiring an OC. They give him the leeway to part ways with respected coaches like Ingram and Pope but he HAS to keep Gillbride JR? I don’t buy that.

Gillbride had no power to order such a move. Yes, he’s done more than many acknowledge but he was on thin ice at best. Him retiring if anything was the concession.

•  pvdeluca says:

right, but i think he agreed to retire with the caveat being, “i’ll make it easy for you and retire, if you promise me my son will have a job”.

it’s just hard for me to believe any new coach will want the old coach’s son staff… loyalties and what-not….

Someone asked me about a week ago who I thought would be the new Offensive Coordinator. I said I had no idea but my instincts led me to McAdoo because I felt Mara was driving the ship at this point and would prefer a new approach. That proved to be the case. BUT, do not assume this hire was made against Coughlin’s wishes.

If I were Tom Coughlin and I were thinking “How do I buy myself one more run at a championship when I know I probably can’t get it in 2014″ I’d want the Giants to hire an Offensive Coordinator who is very promising but is young, and not a finished product, so I could tell John Mara that I am dedicated to grooming him for the head coach’s position…in about three or four years. Voila, Ben McAdoo.

I love the hire. The guy has experience with almost every position on the offense except running backs, and he has worked very closely with Mike McCarthy, whom I consider one of the top 3-4 coaches in the NFL. And they have made that offense productive year-after-year, through all kinds of injuries at both wide receiver and tight end, with a rotating group of decent but hardly special running backs, and even when they were missing the incomparable Aaron Rodgers. That he’s 36 and can easily relate to the players is another major plus.

It’s the beginning of the next run to a championship. But those of you now happily awaiting the retirement of Tom Coughlin at the end of the 2014 season may be quite surprised. He may have just cooperated in the creation of a succession plan that will take more than one year to work. And that wouldn’t be a bad thing at all. He just demonstrated flexibility that many thought he lacked when he allowed at least one of his closest relationships in football (Mike Pope) to be fired after he also gratefully accepted Gilbride’s decision to retire rather than force Coughlin to go down with his ship. If he’ll allow McAdoo to do what he does (and I’m betting he will) he will have shown the kind of dexterity that is a good argument that combining his respect in the locker room and his inspirational talents with a new approach on the field could be a solid 2-3 year plan that leads to the Giants having a good opportunity to find out if they have their next long-term coach already in the fold in the person of Ben McAdoo.

5.  jerseyrich says:

McAdoo was already being talked about for a shot as a head coach THIS year. No way this guy, if successful with the Giants, stays here as a coordinator for 3 or 4 years.

The thought of possibly having to bring in yet ANOTHER OC from outside of the organization in a year or two (who will probably want to install yet another scheme), considering where Eli is in his career, makes no sense to me. Assuming McAdoo does his job, he will either be our head coach in 2016, or he will go somewhere else and one of his offensive underlings will become the next OC under Coughlin. No way do they ask Eli to learn 2 new offenses in 3 years….after having only known one since he was a rookie.

Bottom line here is that I do not believe that McAdoo will be our OC for more than 2 years, one way or the other.

you don’t leave an organization like the Giants with the ownership and way they have treated their head coaches for just another job. You wait it out at least for a year or two. Maybe he will have to be made head coaching in waiting down the road. But a head coaching job here isn’t just another job. He’s only 36 so he doesn’t have to jump at the first opportunity he has. Spags had the right idea of TC was older when he was around.

•  jerseyrich says:

I agree…the Giants job is a prime job, but its not the only one. If this guy is for real and he’s getting offers, he isn’t going to wait here forever and give up millions in the process. I might be reaching here, but I think there is already a timetable as to when he’ll take over. Maybe he will give the Giants a 3rd year as OC in exchange for knowing that he’ll be their man in year 4. I cant see it going beyond that. These fast risers are guys, by nature, who want to be in control. Guys like Dick Labeau are few and far between.

Of course, this is all contingent on the man actually being a good OC.

McAdoo really reminds me of the offensive version of Spags when we hired him. If things go well McAdoo really has a strong chance to be our next head coach. And maybe some of this hiring wasn’t about just Xs & Os it was about our next head coach. I still do’t totally discount Fewell in that manner either. But it’s good to have 2 options that could eventually replace TC.

I do think this offensive will be more unique than some think. It won’t be the same offense GB ran. I don’t think your playing to Eli’s strength’s with so much underneath passing. The throw that I saw in GB that should be improved a lot next year is the back shoulder fade. It wasn’t just a Rodgers thing because I saw the other QBs throw it well too.

Also I think he knows how to design an offense with weakness at LT. While I believe Beatty bounces back at least some from last year the offense should be prepared if he struggles some. This year GB started a 5th round rookie at LT and held up fine.

If anything even for the few Gillbride supporters this move was forward thinking. In today’s NFL there are almost no pure offensive systems left. Every offense is a combination of older schemes with some new winkles. And they key winkle IMO is pace. More than any play call even as a Gillbride supporter I admit our pace sucked and it has for years. Eli is clearly strong at the line of scrimmage so having either the opportunity to call his plays or plenty of time to adjust a given play at the line of scrimmage will be a huge advantage. Plus I think the newness in the building will cause everyone to be that much more focused.

I’m really interested to see what we do at TE because that’s McAdoo’s expertise. He has gotten production from some no names before so if he sees talent in Robinson and Donnell we won’t be adding a high draft pick or big free agent. The GB free agent TE Quarless almost makes too much sense. Because he’s a solid TE if Robinson and/or Donnell don’t develop but he’s not going to hold back one of them from possibly earning a starting job.

Starks always reminded me of a younger Bradshaw so he would make sense too at RB even with Brown and Wilson returning. I also like James Jones because he should be overly expensive and is good enough to start. But if Randle really develops Jones isn’t high profile enough to keep Randle on the bench. Their experience using Cobb should help us get much more out of Jernigan.

7.  JBeast3 says:

Congrats Chief.

I feel better about McAdoo after reading some of his quotes and how he would like to run this offense. Im still not sure about the WCO (west coast offense) with this personnel but he stated he wants to play more uptempo which will mean plays getting to Eli before 7 secs left on the play clock. If McAdoo does adapt his system to the personnel like having Eli run the no huddle as a change of pace to keep the defense on their heels would be a welcome site. If he can mixing some of the WCO like having the RB run more flats and screens and look to get the ball in our play makers hands I.E Wilson ( if healthy), Cruz, Randle and yes JJ; then McAdoo will be very successful here in NY.