New York Giants Hire Ben McAdoo as New Offensive Coordinator

January 14th, 2014 at 6:25 PM

After some scheduling difficulties as a result of bad weather, Green Bay Packers quarterback coach Ben McAdoo eventually made it to East Rutherford and was able to interview with the New York Giants for their vacant offensive coordinator position over the weekend. And despite leaving the area, poised to continue his interview tour, the Giants have announced they will, in fact, hire McAdoo as their next offensive coordinator.

“Working for a class organization like the Giants and a championship coach like Tom Coughlin, and being able to work with Eli Manning, who is a very talented and proven quarterback, is very exciting for me,” McAdoo said. “We have a great opportunity in front of us and I can’t wait to get started."

The 36-year-old McAdoo spent six years as the Packers' tight ends coach before being promoted to the quarterbacks coach when Joe Philbin took over as the Miami Dolphins head coach and Tom Clemens was promoted from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator. Prior to that, McAdoo had worked under current head coach Mike McCarthy when he was the offensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints and San Francisco 49ers before coming over with him to Green Bay.

In addition to the Giants, McAdoo had also met with the Cleveland Browns over their vacant head coaching position, the Miami Dolphins over their vacant offensive coordinator position and, as recently as today, had been requested for an interview by the Baltimore Ravens.

Sensing McAdoo's stock was on the rise, the Giants made him an offer before he had the opportunity to visit Baltimore. And because he had coached out his contract in Green Bay, the team was unable to block his hire.

Prior to interviewing McAdoo, the Giants had also met with former Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains, former Houston Texans quarterback coach Karl Dorrell and former Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan, who appeared to be the early favorite.

By bypassing Sullivan and hiring McAdoo, the Giants will likely be moving on with a relatively new West Coast offensive system. However, given Tom Coughlin's offensive influence, it may not end up being the complete and total overhaul many fans expect.

“I think the players will respond to this," Coughlin said. We’re going to try to compromise the system with what we have here. However, there will be change. And that change will be very positive and very well-received by our team and our players. And if our players are scrambling around to learn a new system – good. That’s another fire in their rear end.”

McAdoo's contract will be for two years.

Tags: Ben McAdoo, Dowell Loggains, Football, Green Bay, Green Bay Packers, Karl Dorrell, Mike Sullivan, New York, New York Giants, NFL

36 Responses to “New York Giants Hire Ben McAdoo as New Offensive Coordinator”

1 2 3

Color me stunned !

2.  Dirt says:

I’m tickled!

This has the hand of Mara all over it.

•  Krow says:

“Mr. McAdoo … we’re going to play a little word association game. Just say the first thing that pops into your head. OK … here we go … … OMAHA !”

“Ummmm isn’t that a city in Nebraska?”

“You’re hired.”

4.  Dirt says:

John Mara: “We would like to introduce the 3 step drop and slant to New York”

5.  BillyS says:

Yes. Yes. Yesssss! This is the guy I was hoping for after the list of names came out of who they were interested in. I wouldn’t have hated Sullivan, but I do feel he probably would have been too much like Gillbride. I feel that this team needs a new offensive direction. I think someone like McAdoo is the best fit for Eli because he’ll actually give Eli some help (i.e. screen passes!) and make it easier for the receivers in general. Let’s face it…I think everyone here got tired of the miscommunication that was all over the place last season. This is the kind of youth/energy injection the offense has needed in the worst way. It has been way too stagnant as of late.

I wonder if he’ll have free reign concerning assistants ?

7.  jerseyrich says:

Yes. Mara is definitely flexing…..good for him.

8.  GmenMania says:

Yes! I was hoping for McAdoo. I really think a new direction will work wonders for the offense, provided of course that the OL is upgraded.

He could also be a possible successor to Coughlin when he eventually leaves.

•  jerseyrich says:

That’s probably already the (unstated) plan. Knowing TC though, he’ll somehow win it all in 2015 and then wind up being the coach till he’s 80.

9.  jfunk says:

Certainly seems like this will introduce some significant changes to the offensive scheme. I don’t know enough about the guy to predict success, but at least it will be exciting to see Eli with a new voice in his ear.

10.  TroyThorne says:

I’m shocked. And excited. I was positive we were going to bring back Sullivan and keep the same old ****.

1 2 3