The New York Giants made a minor transaction late Monday, signing punter Jordan Gay to a Reserve/Futures contract. He becomes the 14th player New York has signed to a Reserve/Futures contract since their season ended following Week 17.
Gay, a Centre College alumni, originally signed with the Carolina Panthers as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2013. He remained with the team straight through training camp and the preseason, but was released in late August as a part of final cuts.
At Centre, Gay handled both the punting and place-kicking duties, and was a three-time Southern Athletic Association Special Teams Player of the Year. He also holds seven school records.
“We are grateful for the opportunity that the Giants are giving him to compete for a job,” said his father, Jamey Gay, Centre’s head athletic trainer. “He officially signed today at lunch!”
Gay's 2014 cap number is expected to be $420,000.
As a result of his signing, we have updated our 2014 Free Agency Scorecard.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Sign Kicker Brandon McManus to Reserve/Futures Contract
- New York Giants Sign Eight Players to Reserve/Futures Contracts
- New York Giants Place David Baas on Injured Reserve; Re-Sign Darin Drakeford to Practice Squad
- New York Giants Place Cooper Taylor on Injured Reserve; Sign Eric Herman from Practice Squad
- New York Giants Sign Tight End Daniel Fells, Linebacker Spencer Adkins & Two Others
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16qa