New York Giants Offensive Lineman David Diehl Expected to Retire: Report

January 13th, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Shortly after the New York Giants rounded out their 2013 season, offensive lineman David Diehl revealed that he was not only facing offseason thumb surgery, but that retirement was very much on the table and a decision would be made within a few weeks.

Although Diehl has not yet officially announced anything, The Star-Ledger is reporting that the two-time Super Bowl champion is, in fact, expected to retire.

"I’m proud and I’m honored to be a New York Giant and be here for over a decade," Diehl said following a Week 17 victory over the Washington Redskins. "Here in the next couple of weeks, I’ll spend some time with my daughter and enjoy the time and make the decision if this is my last game or not. I can walk away from this game, if that’s my decision, with my head held high."

Diehl, who was taken in the fifth-round of the 2003 NFL Draft, could be considered one of the Giants' best mid-round success stories in their history. He immediately started for the team and wouldn't look back, starting 120 consecutive regular season games over a seven-year span.

Ultimately, if this is the end, he will have played in 164 regular season games (161 starts), 11 postseason games and won two Super Bowl Championships. He was also named an All-Pro in 2008 and to the NFL Pro Bowl in 2009.

Since the season ended, Diehl has made the media rounds, most recently appearing on CBS Sports, as he continues preparations for his post-NFL career in broadcasting.

If this is the end, we certainly wish him the best and offer our thanks on 11 great years.

Photo credit: alexa627 / Foter.com / CC BY

Tags: David Diehl, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

26 Responses to “New York Giants Offensive Lineman David Diehl Expected to Retire: Report”

1.  stuh says:

1 down 2 to go now Snee and Baas. They are a total waste.
    As for Joseph and Beason I would love to have both so if they have to dump Kiwi to keep both of them so be it. Beason is a must MLB’s don’t grow on trees it is easier to replace a DT than a terrific MLB.

•  Krow says:

Dump $nee and Baas … keep Beason and Linval. There, that was easy.

•  Eric S says:

Not sure of the #’s Krow but I think they really don’t save much by cutting Baas this year. Baas is probably coming back for 1 more year.

As for Snee, I think they’ll offer him a chance to take a Diehl/Webster like pay cut and if he refuses probably cut him.

Stuh, I agree we should keep both Beason and Joseph. I disagree that MLB’s are harder to find. DT is one of the most difficult positions to transition from college to the pros. Hence the higher bust rate. I wanted to retain Cofield at the time because its so hard to find good DT’s.

2.  pvdeluca says:

I appreciate Diehl being a career long Giant and everything, but he has been horrible since 2011.

•  Krow says:

I wish him well … he had unmatched dedication and a work ethic to be admired. If the more talented puzzies on this team were half as tough and worked half as hard we’d be infinitely better off. I’m guessing David Diehl never went to Fashion Week … unless it involved a tractor pull.

•  pvdeluca says:

ha, well, he was the only guy i ever heard of that attended the “University of Chief Illiniwek” they must have turned that into a state school now….

Maybe he was horrible since 2011 (though he held his own on occasion), but he gave this team a helluva lot of good years and was always a guy you could depend upon to do whatever was needed in the trenches. He was never the most talented player, but man was he a tough competitor. Better athletes than he came along almost every year figuring they could win his spot on the line. None did. I’d take a team full of guys with Diehl’s attitude and put ‘em up against anyone.

He stayed at least a season too long, but keep in mind he didn’t cost much this year.

I hope Chris Snee is paying attention. His choices should be retirement or playing for what Diehl did in 2013, not a penny more. Of course, the second choice would be strictly up to him, but the first might not be if the doctors won’t clear him to play.

4.  Hanshi says:

Ok, who is the next OC going to be? Will it be one of the guys they interviewed already? Will it be McAdoo? Will they interview Joe Lombardi? Come on Krow or FF55 or any of you… Who do you think it will be? What’s your gut say?

5.  Nosh.0 says:

To me our free agents are very simple. Beason is a priority, and our first priority.

- Jospeh is gone. Too expensive.

- Would like Tuck back but only at the right price.

- Nicks, Kiwi and Myers are gone.

As for the OC, if you listened to the Mara interview with Francesa you can read between the lines. He sounds very much like a guy who wants a new system in place. A week ago I would have said Sullivan is the clear favorite. Now, I think it’s up in the air.

I think the choice of the Offensive Coordinator is completely up in the air. I think there’s no doubt Coughlin would want Sullivan, and he would be a popular choice with Eli, but as Nosh noted, John Mara sent a shot across all their bows and I suspect that he is questioning their process a lot more than in the past.

Frankly, once Eli said he wanted Gilbride to stay I lost any interest in what he wants. He doesn’t know what’s good for him. For him to develop the things he needs to play another 5-6 years requires a much different system and a better sense of how to use the entire field. And he also needs to observe other quarterbacks who get to the line with 20 seconds left on the play clock so have plenty of time to make adjustments. The Giants’ offense WAS broken, and only John Mara was willing to say that the Emperor Had No Clothes. Coughlin, Gilbride and Eli were ready to just move along the same path.

My gut tells me that McAdoo might be the choice, but I’m not sure they had interviewed the guy who will be hired as of a few days ago. Particularly, if Mara is also looking at this the right way (ie. “the guy we hire might be Tom’s successor”) that could throw this thing into the territory of the unexpected. The easy pick is Sullivan, and he may wind up being the choice. But if he’s it Coughlin will have definitely put his job on the line in 2014 because he will have been HIS choice. I suspect Mara wants much fresher eyes.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah you listen to Mara speak and you can’t help but think that not only does he want a new offensive system in place, but that TC’s seat is getting pretty hot.

If we don’t make the playoffs next year (or come really close like in 2010) I think there’s a good chance that Tom won’t be coaching us in 2015.

Mara’s interviews and post season comments should clear up any misconception that Coughlin in some way runs this franchise, or is some sort of father figure to Mara. It is a strictly employer/ employee relationship. A highly respected employee no doubt, but still an employee.

•  Steven Cotten says:

Yeah I loved how Mara spoke in that interview. It seems like he was genuinely upset. Unlike that owner over there in Dallas where he thinks every thing is good.

•  jerseyrich says:

Well, that idiot is the one calling the shots so he’d have to basically tell the world that he personally screwed up….which he isn’t going to do.

As far as Jerry is concerned, there isn’t a GM in the entire NFL who would have survived having the last 3 years he did while STILL having his debacle of a salary cap mess. Ive never seen cap management that bad. Tony Romo counted as 53 mill in dead money this year, and 41 next year…..that is insanity beyond belief and the mark of a complete financial (in NFL terms)moron.

7.  jfunk says:

According to Over The Cap: http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Giants&Year=2014

Chris Snee’s only 2014 Dead Money is $4.5MM he has already been paid. The entirety of the $7.25MM he is owed is not guaranteed and so would result in direct cap savings.

He’s guaranteed zero of his as-yet-unpaid money, so effectively Snee has ZERO restructuring leverage right now. They can’t save any money by “renegotiating” any further, cutting him outright saves 100% of his due money against the cap.

Thus any deal to bring Snee back will be at face value.

•  jfunk says:

Baas on the other hand, will only save us $1.8MM by being cut. Much more likely to be kept just as a veteran presence at that price.

•  jerseyrich says:

Excactly….im on that site basically every other day. This is why snee getting cut has to be the Giants main move this off-season. Myers would be number 2. Guys like Baas and kiwi, due to their meaningless 2014 cap savings, will more than likely not be cut until after next year.

8.  stuh says:

Why would they keep Baas even if it cost them nothing he is always injured and he wasn’t worth what they originally paid him when they signed him. the guy was a second stringer his last year with the 49ers.

•  jerseyrich says:

Probably because the idea of paying him 6.45 mill in bonus money for ’14 and ’15 (which he was already paid) for doing nothing is not something the Giants want to do. If the guy can play at all, even as a backup, the Giants probably wont cut him. NEXT year he will be cut as the cap savings shoot up to 5.25 mill.

9.  stuh says:

Who thought up the cap rules the guy that invented the Rubic Cube?

I think the importance of re-signing of Joseph is being undervalued. One of our issues is we has too many stop gap players. If you sign Joseph DT is taken care of with minimal investment via draft or free agency for 3 years. Beason should be re-signed as well. I want to keep Nicks and Tuck as well but money and durability/age concerns are issues with those player. Plus we have some other quality players at those positions. At MLB we have no one so not re-signing Beason would be a huge gamble even though he has durability concerns too.

With all the players we are losing we can afford to keep at least 2 high priced free agents of our own. And if Eli and Rolle restructure we might be able to keep more. The only big free agency I see us adding is an interior OL player. Another 3 or so mid sized (Jenkins type) free agents and that’s about it.