January 9th, 2014 at 11:55 AM

In what was essentially agreed to on Wednesday night has now been made official. After taking some time to talk it over with his family, Jay Gruden has agreed to become the next head coach of the Washington Redskins. An official introductory press conference will be held from Redskins Park at 4:00 PM EST today.

The hiring of Gruden in Washington means that New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, who also interviewed for the position, has once again been passed over. And with no other interviews scheduled for him, and one year remaining on his current contract, it's a near certainty that he will return to run the defense in 2014.

Fewell has come under quite a bit of scrutiny in recent years, and despite an 8th overall finish by his defense in 2013, many fans felt he needed to be a part of a house cleaning in New York. That, obviously, has not happened, and Fewell's interview with the Skins now appears to have just been a means by which to satisfy the NFL's Rooney Rule, which states that one minority candidate must be interviewed for all head coaching and senior football operation jobs.

Prior to his meeting with the Redskins, Fewell last interviewed for a head coaching position following the 2011 season when he met with the Carolina Panthers, Cleveland Browns, Denver Broncos and Tennessee Titans.

photo credit: Chris Kunz via photobucket cc

Tags: Football, Jay Gruden, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Perry Fewell, Washington, Washington Redskins

8 Responses to “Washington Redskins Hire Jay Gruden as Head Coach; Perry Fewell Like to Remain with Giants”

1.  rlhjr says:

D-A-M-N

Repost:

rlhjr says:
    January 9, 2014 at 8:33 AM
    REPOST

All that and remember one thing; (No hate toward Eli)

Rodgers makes much of Green Bays offense legit. There are plenty of coordinators who would look good with Rodgers pulling the trigger.
    Same with Brady.

We all know when Eli’s big brother is onboard, he is effectivelyt the offensive coordinator. The guy carring that title is just along for the ride.

I say a new young guy or a proven solid older guy. Someone who understands the importance of a strong running attack, possesion time and field position. And of course all that to set up deep routes when required.

GOAT56 says:
    January 9, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    I disagree. Did you watch the GB offense without Rodgers? While it wasn’t as good they still moved the ball and put up points. The fact that with Rodgers missing 7 games they still finished as a top 5 offense says a ton about the coaching and other players. Rodgers is very very good but I think he’s slightly overrated for the credit he’s given.

rlhjr says:
    January 9, 2014 at 9:59 AM
    I disagree. Their modest success was due to the substitute QB having knowledge and confidence in their system. And yes he didn’t light up the league. But GB was smart enough to get him back. Also, check out who they were playing in those must win games.

I would suggest that you watch Rodgers play. The Giants were able to handle him due to Eli, Nicks and the FRONT FOUR having excellent outings.
    Rodgers is a singular talent and most definitely NOT over rated.

Although I can’t say I would side with those he endorses. Does a certain baseball player ring a bell with you? And now he’s backing his QB coach.
    All that said, I would not mind the guy when Gilbride or son are the alternative influences.

I have watched Rodger play a lot. I said I think he’s slightly overrated and I stand by that. I didn’t call him a bum or say he’s not an elite QB. But he’s 15 games below 500% in games decided by 7 point or less when a QB like Luck is 18-2. there are various factors in those numbers but in watching Rodgers play he hasn’t had many games where he mad a clutch play like chicago. For a QB as great as he’s deemed he’s lacking in being the difference in close games. Even the SF game with the GB defense somehow held SF to 23 points Rodgers couldn’t carry his team to victory. Of course I’m holding him to an extremely high standard but he’s considered by many to be the best QB without doubt so he’s going to be held to that type of standard.

Matt Flynn put up consecutive 30 point games against Dallas and Pitt. And chicago has just as bad of a defense.

3.  rlhjr says:

On the flip side, how inspiring it must be to know the only reason you’re being called for an interview is because of your skin color/ethnicity. Not because you have coaching talent intelligence and flair for the position. Such is progress. What a fckn sham. It’s embarrassing to even be asked to interview.

It’s better than not being called at all when you have been qualified to at least have an interview. An interview doesn’t hurt anyone and sometimes it causes people to think outside of the box they were thinking in.

People around the NFL think more highly of Fewell than most Giant fans. Like I said a few times I think he will make a better head coach than DC.

4.  Kettles78 says:

I think the Skins already had interviewed Caldwell so the Rooney rule was satisfied already. I think Perry had a legit shot at the job but who knows. Hope he gets his chance some day

5.  jahmyrr says:

As of 2009 the Rooney rule was to include all “ethnic minorities”. So considering when looking at a majority/minority map you can see that “whites” dont make up the “majority” in 10-15 states. If this trend continues (which statistics have shown for a long time will), what then? Does the NFL require those states that have a “white minority” interview a white ethnic coach? Could one raise a stink with the NFL if only non-white ethnic coaches are interviewed?

I think all this separation related to ethnicity only causes more problems and questions. Just foolish to think its acceptable to put rules into place to benefit one ethnicity over another. I get in previous years it wasnt always so diverse. However, in todays society, I think its time to do away with any rule that relates to ethnicity in any way.