January 9th, 2014 at 8:00 AM
By Doug Rush

The New York Giants' offensive coordinator search will continue this weekend and they now have a new name in the mix, as Green Bay Packers quarterbacks coach Ben McAdoo will interview for the position over the weekend.

This week, the Giants interviewed former Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan, who was also the former Giants quarterbacks coach and will also interview former Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains on Thursday. McAdoo will be next on Tom Coughlin and Jerry Reese's list of candidates.

The 36-year-old McAdoo spent six years as the Packers tight ends coach before being promoted to the quarterbacks coach when Joe Philbin took over as the Miami Dolphins head coach and Tom Clemens was promoted from quarterbacks coach to offensive coordinator.

On Wednesday, current Packers quarterback and former MVP Aaron Rodgers gave his personal endorsement for McAdoo and hoped for him to move up to the next level of the coaching ranks.

“I sent him a text,” Rodgers told ESPN Wisconsin. “I said, ‘Make sure you put me down as a reference.’ Just a little pro athlete joke there, but I’m happy for Ben. Any opportunities he gets, he deserves. He’s a guy that works extremely hard. We had a long talk yesterday, and I just continued to echo the things that I felt about him and appreciate about him.''

McAdoo has worked under current head coach Mike McCarthy when he was the offensive coordinator with the New Orleans Saints and San Francisco 49ers before coming over with him to Green Bay and thus, has had no affiliation with Coughlin unlike Sullivan and would bring in different ideas if hired.

The Giants are searching for a new offensive coordinator to replace the newly-retired Kevin Gilbride, who was the Giants offensive coordinator since the 2007 season.

photo credit: Monica's Dad via photopin

Tags: Aaron Rodgers, Ben McAdoo, Dowell Loggains, Football, Green Bay, Green Bay Packers, Jerry Reese, Kevin Gilbride, Mike Sullivan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

12 Responses to “Packers QB Coach Ben McAdoo to Interview for New York Giants’ Offensive Coordinator Position”

1.  Hanshi says:

Re-Post:
    Hanshi says:
    January 9, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    I see the Giants are going to interview Ben McAdoo, the Packer QB coach for the OC position http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/ben-mcadoo/ddde86ed-0482-4a5b-a422-b1f710c03fd2 . I don’t know anything about him but I like this approach. I think they should look at some of the good offenses in the league and interview their young assistants. I’d rather they bring in a young guy with fresh ideas than the next Gilbride. I’m not saying if they should hire McAdoo of not, just saying that I like the appraoch and they should have more interviews like this. Maybe bring in Joe Lombardi too? http://www.neworleanssaints.com/team/coaches/joe-lombardi/6ea20688-c6f3-4149-b2ea-e092d93305b0

2.  The Real LT says:

I agree…It’s nice to see that the FO is looking at multiple candidates and not putting all their eggs in one basket…I like the idea of interviewing candidates that come from teams like GB that know something about scoring…Eli, Hakeem and Cruz’s recent endorsement of Sullivan just goes to show that the Giants offense is complacent and needs to be shaken up with a new approach

3.  rlhjr says:

REPOST

All that and remember one thing; (No hate toward Eli)

Rodgers makes much of Green Bays offense legit. There are plenty of coordinators who would look good with Rodgers pulling the trigger.
    Same with Brady.

We all know when Eli’s big brother is onboard, he is effectivelyt the offensive coordinator. The guy carring that title is just along for the ride.

I say a new young guy or a proven solid older guy. Someone who understands the importance of a strong running attack, possesion time and field position. And of course all that to set up deep routes when required.

I disagree. Did you watch the GB offense without Rodgers? While it wasn’t as good they still moved the ball and put up points. The fact that with Rodgers missing 7 games they still finished as a top 5 offense says a ton about the coaching and other players. Rodgers is very very good but I think he’s slightly overrated for the credit he’s given.

•  rlhjr says:

I disagree. Their modest success was due to the substitute QB having knowledge and confidence in their system. And yes he didn’t light up the league. But GB was smart enough to get him back. Also, check out who they were playing in those must win games.

I would suggest that you watch Rodgers play. The Giants were able to handle him due to Eli, Nicks and the FRONT FOUR having excellent outings.
        Rodgers is a singular talent and most definitely NOT over rated.

Although I can’t say I would side with those he endorses. Does a certain baseball player ring a bell with you? And now he’s backing his QB coach.
        All that said, I would not mind the guy when Gilbride or son are the alternative influences.

This type of OC choice would shock me. Because I believe that TC and Eli believe they can be successful in this offense with player improvements, mainly on the OL. But I’m not against it because I have seen in SD in a similar situation without the SBs how a new system can re-energize a QB like Eli.

Also, I like that we are interviewing a variety of candidates. Even if we choose Sullivan meeting with guys trying to get a job gives you ideas on how to fix your offense.

5.  TuckThis says:

This offense needs a shake up. They need someone who will take them a bit out of their comfort zone. The same old same old is not acceptable. And to me, Mike Sullivan represents the same old same old. And therefore, I predict that he will be Tc’s choice. I won’t scream and rant yet, but I fear the worst.

6.  BillyS says:

The only positive about Sullivan is that Eli and the receivers seemed to be a bit more synced. They looked downright awful this past season and never looked to be on the same page. So Sullivan wouldn’t be the worst, but Green Bay did have a very solid offense and is a pretty well coach team. I wouldn’t hate Sullivan, but this McAdoo is very intriguing. I just hope we don’t wind up with the former Titans’ OC. Now that would be bad.

7.  PittsburghJim says:

There goes my first New Year’s wish:
    PF stays…..Jay Gruden takes Wash Red job….

Dam*

8.  BBWC says:

I don’t know much about Sullivan but the few interviews I seen him in (when he was the Giants QB coach), he strikes me as more of psychiatrist or a guidance counselor than a OC, and a fruity one at that!

•  PittsburghJim says:

BBWC:

After years of reading insightful & funny posts on Dan’s site…..yours is the strangest & most grammatically ‘challenged” one yet! Don’t take this personally. I just had to comment on your ‘take’….

9.  rlhjr says:

I agree with one central theme. Both the Giants offensive and defensive players need to be excited by the prospect of making plays.
    They need to be excited by the opportunity of winning football games and having a good time doing it. That’s when you enjoy putting in the work required to execute properly and that leads to winning.

As much as we agonize about shotgun draws and bend and then break defense you must know that the players see the same $h!+. Taking the “company” line is expected. But football players on the whole are aggressive creatures. They like to deal out punishment, not absorbing it.
    Our offensive (not physical in the run game) and defensive (yield rather than attack) philosophies are non-descript. Bored players lead to mediocre seasons. Bored disinterested player are the result of having those traits imbedded in the schemes they are paid to execute.

I am just cautioning that falling head over heels for a coach who coaches a superstar is like wanting to paint your car red so it can be like a Ferrari.
    You better start with the engine and suspension, not the paint.

What makes Rodgers good is that he’s never gotten over sitting in the draft waiting room all those hours. The guy is driven and talented. That is not coachable.