Both the New York Giants and running back David Wilson hoped to avoid offseason neck surgery, but during a Thursday interview with WFAN 660, General Manager Jerry Reese revealed Wilson will, in fact, undergo offseason neck surgery — a surgery that the team's medical staff believes will allow Wilson to play in 2014.
"Our medical staff thinks he'll be ready to play this year," Reese said.
Reese's new outlook on Wilson is a complete 180 from only a week ago, when the General Manager said the team couldn't count on the former first-round pick to return next season.
“I don’t think you go into the next season saying David Wilson’s going to be our No. 1 starting running back,’’ Reese said earlier this month. “The guy is coming off of a neck surgery, if he decides to have it. The earlier reports that I’ve gotten, doctors do think they can fix this and he’ll be able to play."
While the idea of surgery seems negative on the surface, the fact that swelling in Wilson's neck has subsided to the point where surgery becomes an option is a positive. Previously, going under the knife was not on the table for Wilson due to said swelling, and both he and the team had hoped rest would be all that was needed.
Despite the good news and optimistic outlook shared by Jerry Reese, Giants co-owner John Mara did not seem nearly as hopeful during his interview on WFAN. Rather, Mara made Wilson's future sound wildly uncertain and wouldn't even acknowledge counting on the running back in 2014.
“We’re hopeful that David will be able to play for us again next year," Mara said. "Time will tell on that one."
Multiple sources are now reporting that Wilson will undergo a fusion of the vertebrae to repair the herniated disc in his neck on January 16th at the Hospital for Special Surgery.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants GM Jerry Reese: We Can’t Count on David Wilson Yet for 2014
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Improving, but not Yet Cleared for Football Activities
- New York Giants’ David Wilson Scheduled for More Tests; Jerry Reese Calls Injury “Serious”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16kg