January 9th, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Both the New York Giants and running back David Wilson hoped to avoid offseason neck surgery, but during a Thursday interview with WFAN 660, General Manager Jerry Reese revealed Wilson will, in fact, undergo offseason neck surgery — a surgery that the team's medical staff believes will allow Wilson to play in 2014.

"Our medical staff thinks he'll be ready to play this year," Reese said.

Reese's new outlook on Wilson is a complete 180 from only a week ago, when the General Manager said the team couldn't count on the former first-round pick to return next season.

“I don’t think you go into the next season saying David Wilson’s going to be our No. 1 starting running back,’’ Reese said earlier this month. “The guy is coming off of a neck surgery, if he decides to have it. The earlier reports that I’ve gotten, doctors do think they can fix this and he’ll be able to play."

While the idea of surgery seems negative on the surface, the fact that swelling in Wilson's neck has subsided to the point where surgery becomes an option is a positive. Previously, going under the knife was not on the table for Wilson due to said swelling, and both he and the team had hoped rest would be all that was needed.

Despite the good news and optimistic outlook shared by Jerry Reese, Giants co-owner John Mara did not seem nearly as hopeful during his interview on WFAN. Rather, Mara made Wilson's future sound wildly uncertain and wouldn't even acknowledge counting on the running back in 2014.

“We’re hopeful that David will be able to play for us again next year," Mara said. "Time will tell on that one."

Multiple sources are now reporting that Wilson will undergo a fusion of the vertebrae to repair the herniated disc in his neck on January 16th at the Hospital for Special Surgery.

Photo credit: Football Schedule / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

Tags: David Wilson, Football, Jerry Reese, John Mara, New York, New York Giants, NFL

15 Responses to “New York Giants’ David Wilson Will Have Fusion of Vertebrae to Repair Herniated Disc in Neck”

Football aside, I hope he’s OK. Doghouse has no luck at all.

Based on this medical staff’s experience with Kiwi, we should be optimistic about Wilson when they make statements like this. They’ve been through this before.

But even if we have Wilson and Brown back and healthy next season, I would not rule out a pick of a running back in April (not with an early pick, but a pick nonetheless).

Speaking of draft picks, I wonder if the failure of Kuandigo ($) in the Bowl game will make it easy for the Giants to get him? I don’t think you can judge a kid like that based upon one terrible game. But obviously, his stock will have dropped. Smells a lot like a Reese pick to me.

3.  jerseyrich says:

Im optimistic on Wilson playing again, even if its only halfway into the season. With that said, the Giants need a bruising animal type RB in the lacy,lynch mold. Brown is nice but he is always banged up….and even when he’s totally healthy he is not quite that sort of guy. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Giants draft a guy like that, if available, in the 3rd or 4th round.

Im thinking the Giants will have a choice of probably about 3-4 quality tackles when they pick at 12. If they are intent on going tackle, they may actually be able to trade down 4 spots or so and still get one of them while snagging an extra 3rd round pick.

I don’t see LT as deep. I only think 3 LTs are possibly worth our pick at 12 Mathews, Robinson and the Bama kid. But it’s a fair chance they all could be gone.

If we are going LT hat [layer is still likely to play RT next year. If Pugh is not going to play OT I think it makes the most sense moving him to center. I think it’s best to keep Pugh at RT but if we move him move him to center because there he can have the most long term affect next to OT.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

NOOOOOOOO on the Bama kid. He’s laid down in big games and is more a project than anything.

I like Robinson, but I think that they really need a WR for Eli. Nicks is as good as gone. And there is better value at WR where we are drafting than there is at OT, OG.

Also, I’ve called the WR pick WAYYYY back in the middle of the season and i’m still not ruling out a TE. I think there are a few really good TE’s that are going to FLY up the draftboard after the combine.

•  buljos says:

Agree about Robinson. Not at 12.

Not that I disagree about WR at 12, but when would you anticipate Coughlin allowing the rookie WR to see the field in 2014? I mean, if Randle’s any indication… wouldn’t Mara, JR, and the new OC be totally focused on player acquisitions having an immediate affect in 2014? I think a slow start again would be horrendous. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Another question if I may please ask… why wouldn’t JR go Robinson or Martin at 12, then Cyril Richardson or Xavier Su’a-Filo at 43 so he could acquire a WR and TE in FA who’d get on the field right away? Two day 1 linemen would cost a fraction of going FA O-lineman — Mack is $10M APY CAP, but if Pugh’s pay is any indication, JR could get Robinson and Richardson for $3.6M APY CAP, combined. Also, JR might not be excited about back filling big dollar linemen like Baas and Snee with more big dollar FA linemen, especially after the Baas experience — certainly not Reese’ fault, with Baas having missed 1 game with 49ers, then comes to NY and misses many games each season. Two day 1 top shelf linemen can play effectively pretty much right away, as Pugh has demonstrated.

•  jerseyrich says:

The bama kid’s stock is falling. As it stands right now, I think youre right…..there aren’t too many guys probably worthy of that 12 pick….which is why I can see us trading down if we are intent on OT (and robinson doesn’t somehow drop to us).

I think pugh is going to wind up inside somewhere, especially if beatty fully recovers from the broken leg.

Of course, this is all assuming that we are going OT in round 1.

F55 – I completely disagree with you regarding Gillbride. I have always felt that way and my feeling haven’t changed. I know the anti gillbride faction feels this departure means they were right but that’s not what has happened at all. If we fired TC it doesn’t mean he didn’t do a lot of great things here. It’s about the here and now. Today we needed a different voice at OC. But will remember our annual top 10 offenses with fondness.

5.  BigBlueGiant says:

Call me crazy, but I think the Giants should bring in MJD. Even if it’s for one of JR’s one year prove it deals, till Wilson gets better.

This way MJD will increase his stock here and we have a reliable, fast. game changing RB.

6.  Ted Kwiecien says:

How about Chris Johnson????
    He’ll be available too…..

7.  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

This news breaks my heart :(
    Wilson was suppose to break records and now his career could be done .