January 8th, 2014 at 12:00 PM

'Chris Snee' photo (c) 2006, Alexa - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/ As the 2012 season ended, New York Giants guard Chris Snee was admittedly uncertain about his future and had already begun discussing the possibility of retirement. He had been dealing with a painful left hip injury that required surgery — something he put off so that he could play in the Pro Bowl — but ultimately decided to come back in 2013. Unfortunately, Snee suffered yet another torn labrum in his left hip, and after only three games, was placed on season-ending Injured Reserve (IR).

At the time, Snee said he wasn't thinking about retirement, but merely trying to "get over the frustration" of his injury. But now, with surgery in the rearview mirror and some time to reflect, the four-time Pro Bowler says he may want to return in 2014, but he'll need to know if the Giants even want him back first.

"If I'm wanted," Snee told the New York Post when asked if he wanted to return in 2014. "Right now my mindset is getting my body 100 percent and we’ll see from there."

Whether or not Snee will be wanted is the ultimate question. Once an anchor along Big Blue's offensive line, Snee's age, injury history and upcoming $7.2 million salary will be major contributing factors in that decision. And, in all likelihood, even if the Giants want Snee back, he'll have to come back at a drastically reduced salary.

Still, the veteran says he has a tremendous love for the game and the organization, so ruling out a return is not something he's given much thought to.

“I love the game, I love everything about it. I missed it during the fall, but there’s a lot of factors that go into making a decision," Snee said. "One, we’ll see if I’m wanted and we’ll go from there.”

As it stands, Snee says he's recovering well from his multiple surgeries. He's on schedule and believes the worst is finally behind him.

“I’m recovering well,” Snee added. “It’s been a long road, two surgeries is not something I want to do, particularly during the season. It’s been a difficult fall, winter, but the worst is behind me and I feel really good.”

Prior to going on IR, sources had said that Snee's hip injury was so bad he was, at times, completely unable to move. And while that may explain his early struggles, it does not explain the overall futility along the offensive line. And even without the $7.2 million salary Snee would carry into 2014, an entire revamp of the offensive line seems not only desired, but absolutely necessary. As such, Snee's decision may ultimately be made for him.

Tags: Chris Snee, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

21 Responses to “Chris Snee Wants to Return to New York Giants If There’s Mutual Interest and His Body Holds Up”

1.  Dirt says:

Can’t believe Damontre had surgery to fix what was surely just a mental thing.

Speaking of which, you’d think Coughlin could keep $nee off the surgeon’s table for mental injuries.

2.  stuh says:

Just what the team doesn’t need son in law sucking up cap space. He is finished, But his father in law is still the coach.

No … and it won’t. But we all know that. I smell an nijury settlement. Then he can join the concussion lawsuit. On the way out he can grab a box of pencils.

4.  stuh says:

I just read the Killdrive article. What a brilliant statement the O Line wasn’t good. No Slit. As for his adjustments I guess I was watching the wrong games. I didn’t see anything that looked like major adjustments. It was the same old thing 3rd and short throw the bomb 3rd and 5 throw a 3 yard pass. throw on 1st down if incomplete run on second down. Get inside the 10 yard line and screw the pooch. kick a field goal if Eli didn’t get picked off.
    Give me a break. These guys get too much air time.

5.  jerseyrich says:

I think the best scenario that we can reasonably hope for is snee getting cut and then re-signed to a 1-1.5 mill dollar deal for depth. Of course the best would be if he just retires, but it doesn’t sound like he is seriously thinking of doing that right now.

I really don’t see however, no matter what else happens, Snee getting his full pay next year. TC loves him but TC also wants to win, and a guy as smart as TC knows that Snee’s existing cap money is going to seriously hinder the Giants’ ability to do so.

•  JimStoll says:

he’s entitled to 7-9M
      human nature says I want the money
      he could be cut but Tom may well bark
      bad situation
      bad on a lot of people’s parts to let it come to this

•  Krow says:

I don’t think they “let” it come to this. I think they intentionally structured it so it would happen. Now they can throw up their hands and act as if it was inevitable. But it’s bullsh1t. Everyone saw this coming.

6.  TuckThis says:

Snee says he wants to come back if he’s wanted. I don’t want him. Is that good enough?

7.  rlhjr says:

“One, we’ll see if I’m wanted and we’ll go from there.”

Who in the hell wants a 7M

•  rlhjr says:

Sorry, Who in the hell wants a 7 million a year bike rider? I can’t hate on the dude simply because he came in as a kid and handled his business.

But his track record (at least to me) is one comprised of critical third down holding calls on running and passing plays. I think that hip started to deteriorate four years ago. But again to his credit, he attempted to play. As it is right now, he is basically immobile and generates absolutely no push in the run game.

Starting with his pro bowl selection and his decision to delay his surgery…….????
      Stop the madness….NOW. The right thing to do business wise is to cut him and if they think it necessary, bring him back at a reduced rate. They wont have to worry about a bidding war. Vet minimum plus game incentives.

8.  skinnydoogan says:

Hard for me to believe Jerry Reese is the same guy who had zero issue unloading Seubert and O’Hara when it was time, but has been completely impotent in getting rid of Diehl and Snee up to this point.

9.  skinnydoogan says:

I am already imagining scenarios where Coughlin is penciling these two as starters for next year.

•  Krow says:

For 2-3 games … assuming they make it out of camp, which I figure is about 50-50.

•  skinnydoogan says:

The fact that they would even be invited is baffling to me, again I will relate this to the business world I am in, if I could not perform, at a high level, I would be gone, simple as that, past accomplishments mean nothing.