New York Giants Workout Offensive Lineman Ryan Lee, Eight Others

January 7th, 2014 at 6:55 AM

The New York Giants' offseason search for depth across the offensive line began on Monday as the team hosted free agent guard/center Ryan Lee for a visit.

Lee, who went undrafted in the 2012 NFL Draft out of Furman, was originally signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers, but would eventually land on the New Orleans Saints' practice squad before being placed on season-ending Injured Reserve (IR) following hernia surgery. In 2013, he signed with the St. Louis Rams, but as the team trimmed their rosters to 53 men in late August, Lee was again placed on season-ending IR with what head coach Jeff Fisher called a "serious" knee injury.

"It doesn't look good for Ryan right now, but we will do tests tomorrow. We're suspecting ACL," Fisher said at the time.

Only three days after being placed on IR, the Rams waived/injured Lee with an injury settlement. However, contrary to what Fisher stated at the time, Lee required only three weeks of physical therapy and rehab before returning to football-related activities.

The 6'3'', 310 lbs. lineman is no stranger to the Giants, having worked out for the team prior to signing with St. Louis.

“I’ve been working out at a facility in Houston. I’ve just been working out there and staying in shape. I had a workout a few weeks ago with the Giants," Lee said in June. "That workout went well."

Following his workout, Lee was not immediately signed to a deal with the Giants.

Update: In addition to Lee, the Giants also worked out linebacker Spencer Adkins, punters Dylan Breeding and Jordan Gay, tight end Daniel Fells, safety Dwight Lowery, defensive ends Alex Hall and Cameron Sheffield and offensive lineman Edwin Williams. Both Adkins and Fells were signed.

photo credit: John M Photography via photopin cc

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ryan Lee, St. Louis, St. Louis Rams

8 Responses to “New York Giants Workout Offensive Lineman Ryan Lee, Eight Others”

As an aside … I’m completely enjoying the RG3/R-words meltdown. What a bum this guy turned into … and in record time. Excellent.

Slow down. Remember Cam a year ago this time? While RG3 was probably overrated its way too early to call him a bum. He’s a second year player that had the NFL adjust to him and he had no offseason. Plus his coach seemed to not really believe in him.

•  Krow says:

A coach killing diva who is now bragging about his relationship with the owner and how he can influence the team. Yeah, he’s not a bum.

•  Krow says:

I left out the “screaming at his wde receivers” part … my bad.

Yeah Cam wasn’t considered a diva. Shannon acted like an **** too. It wasn’t just RG3.

No he’s not a bum. People repair reputations all the time. He’s 23 and was given a lot early. He’s going to have to fix some things but to say he can’t is just not true.

Repost:

I thought either Robinson the Auburn LT got exposed or the FSU DE Edwards showed he’s a top 10 type pick in next year’s draft. The FSU LT held up well. If we did go OT I like him if he’s still around.

As an underrated WR I like Coates for Auburn in the 2nd-3rd area. He plays in a running offense so I think he’s undervalued. But he’s big, fast and produces when they trow him the ball.

I also like the Auburn CB Davis. I’m not sure where he’s rated but as a mid round pick I like him. He’s athletic, battles and has instincts. He seems like he has tools to develop into a starter in our system.

If Mason is available in the mid rounds I like him too. He has a lot of Bradshaw to his game. Also if Wilder does come out i like him as a late round pick.

D Ford as a 2nd-3rd round pick could make sense if Tuck or Kiwi don’t return.

Lastly I like Gilbert with the info I know today. Denard had a great year and deserved every award he got. I worry that he didn’t play against many elite NFL caliber WRs and QB combos. Gilbert playing in the big 12 was better tested as a CB IMO. Gilbert is also a great athlete. In addition, I think it’s important he’s comfortable in zone. A great man to man CB in our scheme doesn’t make much sense. Now if Denard shows he’s a quality athlete too I might change my mind. While I don’t think CB is a first round type of need, a CB at #12 could make our defense great.

3.  JimStoll says:

Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell interviewed for the Washington Redskins head-coaching job today. No word as of now on how that interview went. Things don’t look good for Fewell getting that job, however. There was a report that Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden could be getting the job, along with indications that Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, a couple of members of the Philadelphia Eagles coaching staff, along with Vanderbilt coach James Franklin and just about any other living, breathing coach interested might be interviewed.

•  Krow says:

Yep. I don’t think Perry is flashy enough for the typical bottom feeders who need a head coaches.