In addition to former Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan, who will meet with the team today, the New York Giants will also be meeting with Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains on Wednesday over their vacant offensive coordinator position, reports ESPN's Ed Werder.
The 33-year-old Loggains, who has been with the Titans at varying positions since 2008, took over as offensive coordinator in 2012 after the team fired Chris Palmer (change occurred midway through the season). In those two seasons, the team has finished with an overall rank of 26th and 22nd respectively.
As a result of two straight poor seasons, Titans ownership thought it was time to make a change. And after head coach Mike Munchak refused to fire his assistant coaches — Loggains being one of those he fought to keep — the team decided the best decision was to clean house. So with Munchak's firing, Loggains has become available.
“I can’t fire someone when I don’t believe they should be fired. Firing someone is awful. Too many people were going to be affected," Munchak told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean on Sunday. “I didn’t do anything to look like I was a great, loyal guy who went above and beyond the call of duty by not firing coaches. I did what you should do and what I thought was right. For me to maintain a job and a lot of guys lose jobs on a plan I didn’t think was right, I couldn’t do that. … I’ll make tough decisions, but not if they’re not right.”
In addition to meeting with the Giants on Wednesday, Loggains will accompany Mike Munchak to his interview with the Detroit Lions over their vacant head coaching position on Friday
Prior to taking over as offensive coordinator, Loggains servers as the Titans' quarterbacks coach from 2010-2012 and their offensive quality control coach from 2008-2009.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Mike Sullivan Will Interview with New York Giants for Vacant Offensive Coordinator Position
- New York Giants Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride Announces Retirement
- Is Mike Sullivan Right Choice to Succeed Kevin Gilbride as New York Giants Offensive Coordinator?
- Tom Coughlin was Prepared to Fight for Kevin Gilbride’s Job as Giants Offensive Coordinator
- Kevin Gilbride Likely to Be Fired as New York Giants’ Offensive Coordinator: Report
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16fi