January 7th, 2014 at 8:30 AM

In addition to former Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan, who will meet with the team today, the New York Giants will also be meeting with Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains on Wednesday over their vacant offensive coordinator position, reports ESPN's Ed Werder.

The 33-year-old Loggains, who has been with the Titans at varying positions since 2008, took over as offensive coordinator in 2012 after the team fired Chris Palmer (change occurred midway through the season). In those two seasons, the team has finished with an overall rank of 26th and 22nd respectively.

As a result of two straight poor seasons, Titans ownership thought it was time to make a change. And after head coach Mike Munchak refused to fire his assistant coaches — Loggains being one of those he fought to keep — the team decided the best decision was to clean house. So with Munchak's firing, Loggains has become available.

“I can’t fire someone when I don’t believe they should be fired. Firing someone is awful. Too many people were going to be affected," Munchak told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean on Sunday. “I didn’t do anything to look like I was a great, loyal guy who went above and beyond the call of duty by not firing coaches. I did what you should do and what I thought was right. For me to maintain a job and a lot of guys lose jobs on a plan I didn’t think was right, I couldn’t do that. … I’ll make tough decisions, but not if they’re not right.”

In addition to meeting with the Giants on Wednesday, Loggains will accompany Mike Munchak to his interview with the Detroit Lions over their vacant head coaching position on Friday

Prior to taking over as offensive coordinator, Loggains servers as the Titans' quarterbacks coach from 2010-2012 and their offensive quality control coach from 2008-2009.

Photo credit: Steve Selwood / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

Tags: Chris Palmer, Dowell Loggains, Football, Mike Sullivan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee, Tennessee Titans

21 Responses to “New York Giants Will Meet with Dowell Loggains on Wednesday Over Offensive Coordinator Position”

How about we interview someone who was successful ???

2.  PittsburghJim says:

I’m a lifer as far as loving this Franchise, but I have to say….being a YANKEE fan is Soooo much more fun in the off-season.

The complete & total commitment to winning is a remarkable thing.

The Yanks (obviously) do not always make the right moves, but…..they are predictable in knowing & showing their embarrassment at letting the Red Sox hang another Champeenship banner.

The Giants? Dowall who? You get the drift.

Simply UNinspiring.

•  rlhjr says:

And all that with Mr. Steinbrenner gone. Think if he was still around?
      Say what you will, old man Steinbrenner was committed to winning.
      And he loved the Yankee brand. He even learned to put smart baseball people around him. All these new jacks from Jerry Jones to Marc Cubin are still trying to emulate “THE BOSS”.

The Mara’s want to win but are somewhat less passionate and a tad too conservative. They seem not to be blessed with Steinbrenner drive and business acumen. Perhaps they just don’t have the money George had/has. But George used the Yankee brand to generate the cash.
      Is there a Giants TV Network?

The attitude in the Yankee organization is World Series or bust. Anything less is BS. The Giants need the same kick in the shorts.

3.  turkish says:

“Pete Damilatis ?@PFF_Pete 25m
    Dowell Loggains is a Chris Palmer disciple(Palmer is a TC/Gilbride disciple). Looks like Giants want to keep the same system.”

Disappointed with this direction. TC interested in the guy who helped develop Locker into a BUST? Another candidate with a poor offense, who helped get their HC fired.

•  turkish says:

Pete Damilatis ?@PFF_Pete 25s
      Loggains also worked under Heimerdinger, Sean Payton& Norm Chow, so I may have been too extreme calling him a Palmer disciple.

•  JimStoll says:

and people wonder why I constantly argue that coughlin is the problem

4.  PittsburghJim says:

Humbled & Affordable at this juncture????

Gary Kubiak.

At least interview the guy for gods sake.

If in the 1/1000000th chance PF gets the Redskins gig….do we look at the DC who was with Boston College with TC in the ’90s?

Cmon Man.

5.  skinnydoogan says:

OC interview Question #1
    Will you run the KG offense?
    answer: Yes, but they will learn to execute it
    Your hired.

6.  skinnydoogan says:

This just in, Dave Diehl to interview for the OC position.

•  JimStoll says:

I actually think diehl is heading for coaching
      I see him being very Andy Reid like

•  skinnydoogan says:

Yeah I would love his dedication and fire, was just a dumb joke based on the futility of this situation we find ourselves in.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Perhaps if you lose the Coughlin avatar we might have better luck here?

7.  BBWC says:

I’d definitely hire the cheerleader in the photo…..she looks offensive minded.

8.  turkish says:

“The Tennessee Titans ownership wanted to get rid of offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains, and they were even willing to fire head coach Mike Munchak when he wouldn’t do it.” Ralph V

9.  rlhjr says:

If that’s Loggains in the picture, I’m pretty sure the job is his………………..

Although Kujo cautioned that taking him would represent a paradigm shift, I still advocate Norv Turner. He might actually teach Eli how to throw a screen.
    He would also lobby for linemen who could get out in front of a screen.

Turner is not even close to head coach material. But as a play caller and architect of an offense he has very few equals. All Coughlin would have to do is remind Norv this is a cold weather playoff team. And we run the football.

For defensive back absent the kid from MSU who IMHO is very good, I would look at the kid King from Iowa. King is very physical aggressive with good quickness recovery speed. Kid is nasty. He reminds me of Mark Collins.

Pretty sure he’s not going anywhere anytime soon, by Jimbo Fisher has the look of a good offensive coordinator if not head coach. And the guy makes adjustments or at least makes his coordinators make them.

That’s something lacking in Giant blue since Parcells walked. Not sure if he cultivates offensive talent, but he damn sure know it when he sees it. Exhibt “A thru C” Jameis Winston, his skill players and his offensive linemen.

•  turkish says:

Turner also has the ability to squeeze the most out of a RB. Great track record in that department.

•  rlhjr says:

He might work wonders with a healthy Wilson and Brown. He would damn sure get Wilson isolated where he could use that world class speed.

But again, it all starts with some semblance of an offensive line.

If I was an OC of note, I would not set foot in the Giants front or back door unless they promised that two of their first three picks would be offensive linemen. Either that or they had their sights set on a couple of top shelf offensive line free agents.