To say tackle Will Beatty had a rough season for the New York Giants would be a bit of an understatement. From the opening play of 2013, Beatty struggled mightily, eventually admitting that he was wildly over-thinking in an attempt to live up to the five-year, $37.5 million deal given to him by Big Blue in the offseason.
"I know I came into this year trying to do too much," Beatty said in early December. "Last year was a good year for me because I was just focused on the task at hand. And then you get the contract, and you know the eyes are on you, people are expecting more from you. And I'm out there thinking, 'I want to earn that contract, I want to make sure they know I wasn't a fluke.' And I end up blowing it out of proportion."
Unfortunately for Beatty, his season ended just as poorly as it had started — which saw him get beaten by Dallas Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Ware, who promptly intercepted a screen pass thrown by quarterback Eli Manning.
And then, in a 20-6 Week 17 victory over the Washington Redskins, Beatty suffered a gruesome broken leg after colliding with defensive back DeAngelo Hall. His teammates immediately called for trainers as he lie in pain on the ground, ultimately getting carted off to the locker-room as his nightmare of a season came to a close.
The good news for Beatty, as it was revealed on Monday, is that he suffered no ligament damage in his knee or anywhere else in his leg as a result of the fracture. And after undergoing successful surgery to repair the fracture, he is expected to remain off his feet for several weeks before rehab begins. And, assuming there are no setbacks, is expected to be ready for the start of the 2014 regular season.
For both his sake and the Giants, it would be best if he came back healthy and returned to 2012 form.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Victor Cruz Undergoes Knee Surgery; Ruled Out Vs. Detroit Lions
- New York Giants’ Will Beatty Admits Struggles are Related to Over-Thinking, Trying to Do Too Much
- Washington Redskins’ DeAngelo Hall Fined $7,875 for “Striking” Giants’ Will Beatty in Head
- New York Giants’ David Diehl Needs Thumb Surgery; Will Make Retirement Decision Within Weeks
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16em