The Washington Redskins requested permission to interview New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell for their vacant head coaching position back on January 1st, and despite Big Blue granting said interview in rapid fashion, the two sides have struggled to set up a meeting time. But after several days of juggling and readjusting, the they have finally agreed on a time, and will have their face-to-face on Monday at Redskins Park.
Whether or not Fewell is a serious candidate or merely a Rooney Rule interview remains to be seen, but given their incredible defensive struggles coupled with the potential retirement of linebacker London Fletcher, bringing in a defensive-minded head coach would not seem out of the ordinary. And after starting the season poorly, Fewell proved he could lead a defensive turnaround, finishing with the 8th ranked defense in the NFL — not bad for a 7-9 team that started 0-6.
In addition to Fewell, the Redskins either have or will meet with other defensive-oriented coaches/coordinators such as Carolina Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott, who met with the team on Saturday, and Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Jim Caldwell, who will meet with the team on Sunday.
The Redskins have also interviewed Seattle Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and Dallas Cowboys special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia, who were each in D.C. earlier this past week.
Their head coaching position became available on Black Monday after they fired Mike Shanahan and had interns pose as security guards as they escorted him off of the premises.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Washington Redskins Granted Permission to Interview Giants Defensive Coordinator Perry Fewell
- New York Giants’ Perry Fewell Impressed with Play, Fearlessness of Jayron Hosley
- Tom Coughlin not Considering Coordinator Changes; Will Retain Perry Fewell, Kevin Gilbride
- New York Giants’ Coaching Hot Seat: Perry Fewell Vs. Kevin Gilbride
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16d2