Washington Redskins defensive back DeAngelo Hall wasn't ejected or even flagged for his completely unnecessary actions in last Sunday's 20-6 loss to the New York Giants, but the NFL decided to give him a little slap on the wrist anyway. On Friday, it was announced that the NFL had fined Hall $7,875 for "striking" Giants' tackle Will Beatty in the head after the offensive lineman had already suffered a vicious leg fracture.
At the time of the incident, we at Giants 101 called for his immediate ejection. Watching in real time, it was obvious that Hall had done wrong — jumping on top of Beatty and violently slamming his head into the turf. It was difficult to see as the camera cut away (video here), but something that was later confirmed to us by Pro Football Focus, who shared a series of photos outlining Hall's completely unnecessary actions.
The fine of $7,875 seems almost laughable for what had occurred, especially when you consider that Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall was fined $15,000 for recently wearing the wrong color cleats. Or that New Orleans Saints' players, Lance Moore and Kenny Stills, were each fined that exact same amount as Hall for excessive celebration.
For a league that endlessly preaches player safety, you'd think slamming an opponents head into the turf violently after a play is over and after he has already suffered a fractured leg would draw a more substantial fine than $7,875.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Defeat Washington Redskins 20-6, but Multiple Major Injuries the Real Story
- Washington Redskins not Relying on Eli Manning’s Slump; Expect Big Game from 2x Super Bowl MVP
- Washington Redskins Granted Permission to Interview Giants Defensive Coordinator Perry Fewell
- Washington Redskins Will Stick with Struggling Robert Griffin III as Starter Vs. New York Giants
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16c5