Pending free agent wide receiver Hakeem Nicks has said multiple times within the last few weeks that he'd like to return to the New York Giants, although he hasn't been nearly as emphatic about it as some of his teammates. Still, even removed from a touchdown-less 7-9 season, and with his desire for "organizational stability" going out the window following Kevin Gilbride's retirement, Nicks maintains that he'd like to return to the Giants in 2014.
"We all know [I want to stay here]," Nicks told ESPN Radio. "In my interviews, the exit meeting and last Friday when that question came about, I let it be known I want to remain a Giant. But at the same time, I understand the business side of things. … Like I said, I want to be a Giant."
Although he wants to remain a Giant, Nicks also admits that his pending free agent status snuck into his mind a time or two this season. Whether or not it impacted his performance we may never know, but No. 88 said the challenge was a simple one: focus and do what you can to help the team win above all else.
"I can't sit there and say that it wasn't. For the most part, I just tried to go out there and play ball; focus on the things I could," Nick said. "At the same time, I'm human. It was on my mind throughout the season, but I made it through. I finished strong and feel like I finished healthy."
With the season now over however, Nicks is free to look ahead without scorn. And although he says he'd like to return to the Giants next season, what about other teams that are in need of a talented wide receiver? What about the New York Jets, for example?
"Ah, man. I appreciate y'all for having me on," Nick said laughing. "I don't really do the business talk when it comes to teams and all that. But, you know, business is business."
It's a hard to see a scenario in which Nicks returns to the Giants, especially now that Gilbride has retired, but it's certainly no easier imagining him wearing Jets green.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks not Traded; Remains with Big Blue
- Victor Cruz Has “Gut Feeling” Hakeem Nicks Will Return to New York Giants
- New York Giants’ Hakeem Nicks ‘Felt Good’ After 14th Straight TD-Less Game
- New York Giants’ Eli Manning: Obviously, I Don’t Want Hakeem Nicks to Be Traded
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/16b0