January 3rd, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Pending free agent wide receiver Hakeem Nicks has said multiple times within the last few weeks that he'd like to return to the New York Giants, although he hasn't been nearly as emphatic about it as some of his teammates. Still, even removed from a touchdown-less 7-9 season, and with his desire for "organizational stability" going out the window following Kevin Gilbride's retirement, Nicks maintains that he'd like to return to the Giants in 2014.

"We all know [I want to stay here]," Nicks told ESPN Radio. "In my interviews, the exit meeting and last Friday when that question came about, I let it be known I want to remain a Giant. But at the same time, I understand the business side of things. … Like I said, I want to be a Giant."

Although he wants to remain a Giant, Nicks also admits that his pending free agent status snuck into his mind a time or two this season. Whether or not it impacted his performance we may never know, but No. 88 said the challenge was a simple one: focus and do what you can to help the team win above all else.

"I can't sit there and say that it wasn't. For the most part, I just tried to go out there and play ball; focus on the things I could," Nick said. "At the same time, I'm human. It was on my mind throughout the season, but I made it through. I finished strong and feel like I finished healthy."

With the season now over however, Nicks is free to look ahead without scorn. And although he says he'd like to return to the Giants next season, what about other teams that are in need of a talented wide receiver? What about the New York Jets, for example?

"Ah, man. I appreciate y'all for having me on," Nick said laughing. "I don't really do the business talk when it comes to teams and all that. But, you know, business is business."

It's a hard to see a scenario in which Nicks returns to the Giants, especially now that Gilbride has retired, but it's certainly no easier imagining him wearing Jets green.

Photo credit: Mike L Photo's / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

Hakeem Nicks Says He Wants to Remain with New York Giants, but Won't Rule Out New York Jets

Tags: Football, Hakeem Nicks, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL

9 Responses to “Hakeem Nicks Says He Wants to Remain with New York Giants, but Won’t Rule Out New York Jets”

1.  James Stoll says:

If Nicks went to the Jets to play with Gino you’d have to conclude he was mentally challenged

2.  James Stoll says:

I would not be surprised to see the Patriots make a run at Nicks. They are not the highest payors in town and I have no idea what their cap space looks like, but Tom never has any WRs, they are likely going to have to move on from their recent TE approach (as I think Gronk is done or near done due to injuries), and Amendola turned out to be Amendola (perennially injured). Nicks’ own injury history may scare them, but he sure would be an asset that Tom could exploit. The slant alone could account for 60 receptions next year.

3.  CT GIANT says:

I seriously thik Nicks thinks he knows what he says, “business is business”, but he doesn’t have a clue, unlike Cruz, who showed how to let his agent handle things!
    Nicks has been gettimg bad advice, imo, and it will show itself sooner later.

CT GIANT

4.  skinnydoogan says:

I listened to this interview yesterday, he merely took the highroad when asked the question, it didn’t sound to me like he was endorsing playing for the Jets or anyone else. Having said that, I don’t think he ends up a Giant even though I would like to see him back, the guy is a keeper.

Nicks has no ties to the area … has won a Superbowl … and is looking at the single biggest payday of his life. He’s going to sign with whatever team gives him the most cash. I’m sure he’d like that team to be the Giants. But in the crazy NFL of today I’m willing to bet some team makes him an offer that’s off the charts … and when they do he’s going to take it. He’d be a fool not to.

I hope some day we find out what the real story is with Hakeem. Why his production dropped off like it did. Why he seems so distant and apathetic. There’s got to be something going on. Cause in 2011 this guy looked like he was going to be one of the top WRs in the game …

7.  pvdeluca says:

Can’t fault a guy for wanting to maximize his earnings. But really, I don’t see it happening for him. He was great in 2011 but has been subpar for almost 2 years now. There is a lot of risk giving this guy a 5 year deal with big guaranteed money all while hoping he returns to form. The 2011 Nicks would be worth a huge deal. The 2014 is an unknown and I just don’t think it’s wise or necessary to assume that risk. It’s possible the giants can wind up with the number one receiver in the draft. Why throw the money at Nicks when they can start over with a younger, possible higher potential guy at a fraction of the price?

8.  buljos says:

When JR doesn’t offer him nearly what he wants, he’ll hit the market. But his agent will not be beating GMs back with a stick. A top WR in the game doesn’t tank in a contract year. As Krow stated, something’s going on with Hakeem and nobody seems to be able to put their finger on it. The GMs watched what went down with Steve Smith, and Kenny Phillips, and Mario Manningham, etc… players who look like they’d contribute… from the outside looking in, but then it becomes apparent why JR didn’t resign them, and the joke’s on the team holding the contract. Maybe Hakeem’s different. That’s a big gamble for a multi-year $7M APY on a guy who limped around alot, smiled on the sidelines when losing alot, got benched by Coughlin before a pivotal game, etc. GMs will call JR, and JR won’t say anything derogatory or revealing, and some of them will think this is another Steve Smith / Kenny Phillips situation.

9.  Kettles78 says:

I think the giants obviously, Pats, Panthers, and 49ers make runs on Nicks. The Jets of course could get involved since they have the space.