January 1st, 2014 at 11:00 AM

32-year-old Kenny Tarr of California pleaded not guilty to felony eavesdropping in a Los Angeles courtroom on Monday, claiming he's a prankster and a hoax artist — not a criminal — after he illegally recorded more than two dozen phone calls with coaches, executives and ex-coaches from around the NBA, NFL, MLB and NCAA.

During these recorded calls, Tarr allegedly posed as team a spokesman or aide as he attempted to "gauge the interest" of his victims in working for whatever team he fraudulently represented at the time. In one particular instance, he posed as an aide to New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese, calling Norm Chow (University of Hawaii) and offering him a consulting position to help fix Big Blue's struggling offensive line.

Like many of Tarr's other victims — including former NFL coach, Tony Dungy, whom he offered the head coaching gig at USC — Chow fell for the prank, saying he'd be "honored" to speak further about a consulting position with the Giants.

"I'm like the world's most safe criminal," Tarr reportedly told Deadspin in October, claiming his effort was to expose the "bullshit" in sports. "I'm still the craziest person I've ever met."

Tarr was then arrested on felony eavesdropping in early December, but his attorney feels there's been no harm done and little reason for any punishment.

"Ashton Kutcher made a career out of pranking. Has anyone ever prosecuted him?" Tarr's lawyer Robert Sheahen asked the Daily News. "If my client had caused real harm, he'd be remorseful. But this is just ruffled feathers and hurt feelings, and I have no sympathy for hurt feelings in the National Football League."

Sheahen went on to say that the felony charges are "absurd."

In addition to his sports-related "pranks," Tarr also once appeared on the Judge Joe Brown show posing as a gypsy clown.

Tarr is due back in court on February 18th.

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, Kenny Tarr, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tony Dungy

34 Responses to “Kenny Tarr, Who Allegedly Posed as Aide to Jerry Reese, Pleads not Guilty to Felony Eavesdropping”

Fully agree with kujo, as I said a few days ago:

1) Sign Beason;
    2) Extend Rolle and Eli;
    3) Sign at least 2 of Nicks, Joseph and Tuck, with the priorities being in that order.

If it becomes clear Nicks can’t be signed to a reasonable deal, go after Manningham in free agency but make sure you sign Joseph and Tuck with the cap room Nicks leaves behind.

Btw, Dan, it’s “Aide” to Reese.

•  James Stoll says:

Not sure what this sudden fascination is with re-signing Manningham
      He has been hurt most of the last 2 seasons
      Was always an up and down guy – we already have that in Randal

He knows the system and will be cheap. He isn’t “the solution” but can help if they have to draft someone while we’re still stuck with Gilbride since no rookie WR will contribute much.

Jim, your negativity is really out of control. You’re entitled to your opinions but if you were to be believed nothing can ever be done and we should all be prepared for a decade-long down period. You’re wrong but you now seem intent on following the Goebbels Theory. Say it often enough and people start to believe it.

I don’t. You need to take a walk in the sunshine. It will make you feel better.

•  jfunk says:

Agreed. Mario has significant issues with his knee. A year after the original injury, he’s consulting with doctors to decide what’s best to do for his career.

I don’t see there being enough upside to warrant getting involved with that.

•  Krow says:

I’m the site’s biggest Mario fan … well me and Troy … and I thought we were utterly stupid letting him walk rather than match a lousy ’2 year $1.5 mil per year’ contract. But even I have doubts about his physical condition. I’d love to have him back if healthy. Big IF !

•  Dirt says:

If we got Nicks back, I’d take Manningham on a minimum deal to be our 5th receiver without batting an eye.

3.  skinnydoogan says:

I am pretty sure we can do better than manningham, he was pretty good and knows the playbook but also found himself in the Coughlin doghouse many times. He is also dumber than a box of rocks, not trying to be totally negative here but there has to be better options out there than Manningham and Hixon.

•  buljos says:

What constrains solutions is the time it takes to learn the system before seeing the field in a game. Having a better receiver than Manningham taking a season to learn how to be a Giants receiver does them no good in 2014. And I’m seeing the current front office and coaching staff as being entirely focused on turning it around in 2014. Because if 2014 is anything like 2013, John Mara will be handing out pink slips galore…

4.  Nosh.0 says:

I see there’s some people that think Nicks is a possibility for next year. That’s nice.

5.  skinnydoogan says:

I would love to see Nick’s still around, I have a hard time believing he forgot how to play. The guy was a beast in the past.

•  Dirt says:

Here’s one possible reason for the decline in Nicks – and I know this will be unpopular:

Eli Manning played his worst season as a pro.

Sure he had some drops. But for sure, there were a ton of balls that weren’t delivered on target.

Also, at the beginning of the season after the offense completely caved in and they realized the long ball couldn’t work, they broadcast to the league that they’d start focusing on the short game, which further handcuffed the offense.

•  nick86 says:

excuses…guy has clearly lost a couple steps. I agree Eli stunk the place up. But Nicks is clearly a guy who has been slowed down by a ton of leg injuries. He was never a burner to begin with, and at this point he’s getting zero separation.

I wouldn’t bring him back unless its a VERY team friendly deal. I’m not a Nicks hater, this guy was one of my favorite players. This team has too many needs to shell out a big contract to a injury prone WR who clearly isn’t producing as he used to.

•  buljos says:

down the list of excuses that might… might have had an impact on the Eli to Nicks connection… position coaches. Gilbride Sr. moving WR coach Sean Ryan to QB coach, so he can put his son Gilbride Jr. in as WR coach. Two seasons under this experiment, and we have Cruz and Randle stating in public that they lost their connection to Eli. If they did, maybe Nicks did too. Eli plays his worst season as a pro… how much is attributable to a QB coach? If none, then why have a QB coach if he has no affect on the QB’s performance? Chalk it up to a nepotism failure, move Sean Ryan back to WR coach, and get a bona fide guru QB coach ASAP. Aaron Rogers was tutored by Tom Clements, who also coached Favre, and was QB coach for Steelers, Saints, and 2 time CFL champion QB, and All-American QB at Notre Dame. That’s a QB coach. What the Giants did was akin to hiring a putt putt golf owner to be Tiger Woods coach. Enough already.

6.  turkish says:

Not likely, but would go after Decker if we are talking about upgrading at WR. Guy is a gamer, doesn’t quit. Manningham is damaged goods. Sorry we’re full in that department. Nicks is NOT coming back. His agent has been in his head too long now. If you want instant impact, you go with a player entering his prime, not a couple of injury question marks.

•  Krow says:

Sadly I think you’re correct. Nicks and his agent will want a $10,000,000/year deal. That’s not happening with the Giants. He’s got to find a pretty desperate team to pony up that kind of money on speculation.

•  buljos says:

Would Decker be able to start on opening day as the #1 WR? He’s a talented and smart guy, but could he learn the position that quickly when others took seasons to do so?

The Nicks situation has to eventually turn bitter. He thinks he’s an elite WR … despite his numbers. And if he feels that way then he’s going to want one of those monster deals. It’s going to go the same route as Osi last year. Once a player over-values himself it’s easy to be insulted.

8.  GIANTT says:

Over the years weve had discussions of keeping /letting players go due to cost versus
    effectiveness etc and its provided an endless forum for ideas .
    definitely sign Beason and it looks like its going to be a decent deal from his comments about wanting to stay here
    I dont get why ANYONE thinks that Rolle isnt worth it
    E

Do you guys not read? If Nicks leaves then they will undoubtedly draft a WR. He will be a pretty high pick and will be viewed as a possible #1 receiver. But as a rookie his impact will be limited. So they need some fill-ins at cheap prices for 2014 (hoping the draftee, Cruz, Randle and Jernigan will be the guys in 2015). Under those conditions if Manningham is reasonably healthy he’s a good bet at what will be veteran minimum for a year.

And if not Manningham, yes, I’d consider Hixon. This is a 2014 solution, not a long-term plan. The long-term requires a draft pick, and if Nicks is gone that is the way they’ll go.

•  turkish says:

Might as well bring Bradshaw back too while you’re at it.

•  buljos says:

Thanks for that. I was beginning to think I wasn’t playing with a full deck. 2015 might as well be 2025, as all JR and Coughlin on down are thinking about is turning it around in 2014. After everything Mr. Mara said to the public, I don’t see anyone who still wants to draw one of his paychecks telling him they’re taking steps to fix the offense in 2015.

10.  LUZZ says:

For all you Knights fans out there. UCF is my biggest play of the year at +17.5

I think they may even win the game on the field.

Go knights!!!