December 30th, 2013 at 12:00 PM

For many members of the New York Giants, Sunday's 20-6 victory over the Washington Redskins may have been their last with the team. For others, like offensive lineman David Diehl, it may very well have been their final game in the NFL. And during his postgame interview, Diehl certainly sounded like a man who was saying goodbye for the final time.

"To be out here to play the last game was very important for me because this could be the last time I wear a Giants’ jersey and a helmet, or it could be the last time I play football in general," Diehl said. "This was my last year on my contract and number one, to be blessed to have the opportunity that I can walk away on my own terms if I decide to, that’s huge. Not many guys in the NFL can do that."

Although Diehl didn't specifically say he was leaning one way or another, he spoke in the past tense and openly admitted that a retirement decision would come sometime over the next couple of week.

"I’m proud and I’m honored to be a New York Giant and be here for over a decade," Diehl added. "Here in the next couple of weeks, I’ll spend some time with my daughter and enjoy the time and make the decision if this is my last game or not. I can walk away from this game, if that’s my decision, with my head held high."

Whether or not he retires, Diehl is still facing an offseason surgery on his right thumb — the same thumb that needed surgery back in August and caused him to miss a few games early in the season.

Should this be it for Diehl, fans would be best served to view his entire body of work with the Giants and not so much the last couple of seasons. Ultimately, Diehl was a tremendous Giant, a pillar in the community and a leader on two Super Bowl championship teams. He's earned the right to be remembered fondly and should be appreciated for an incredible Big Blue career.

Photo credit: alexa627 / Foter.com / CC BY

Tags: David Diehl, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Washington, Washington Redskins

149 Responses to “New York Giants’ David Diehl Needs Thumb Surgery; Will Make Retirement Decision Within Weeks”

1 2 3 ... 6
  1.  rlhjr says:

Pack it in dude. Good career two super bowls. Most players never even sniff playing in one. Much less wining two. Good Giant and good guy.

Time to go home.

Kujo made a brilliant comment, bring back Sullivan!

3.  kujo says:

Fine, I’ll share the spot with you for Kouandijo/Yankey 2014!

fanfor55years says:
    December 30, 2013 at 12:25 PM

kujo, you’re late. I’ve liked Kuandijo for a long time. In fact, I prefer him to the much-touted Lewan, who will probably be the second or third tackle drafted (what I fear is that because the Giants like Big Ten kids they might take him, and I don’t really love him at all).

Give me that kid at #12 and David Yankey (Stanford, G)at #44 and we’re in business. And if we cannot get Kuandijo then let’s get the kid from Florida State (Irving?) or the kid from Auburn (Robinson, if he declares). Another target at #44 could be that Martin kid from Notre Dame. I don’t think he’s Yankey’s equal but he’s very good.

One other Pac-12 player to keep an eye on is the tight end from Washington, Sefaris-Jenkins (?). A really good two-way tight end.
    fanfor55years says:
    December 30, 2013 at 12:30 PM

So Diehl and Jacobs will retire as among my favorite Giants. I know neither was all that good of late (though BJ had a mini-Renaissance this season for a few games), but they were guys who played had, played hurt, played nasty. They had that spirit that infuses top teams, that edge, that ultra-competitiveness. Give me a lot more like them. I like the gentlemen too, but you can have all too many of them on a team. As we lost the Seuberts, the O’Haras and the Jacobs’ we lost some of the spirit that brought this team championships.

•  kujo says:

Diehl hasn’t been any good for a long time, but I respect the fire he brought to the team.

The two LTs I like because they are really athletic are the Auburn and FSU kids but neither is a lock to declare. Really wish there was a Cooper like interior OL player this year.

I have been saying for a while that Jenkins is the fit for us at TE. But at he would only be in the mix at 44, not 12.

I think Pugh has a lot of Diehl in him with more talent. We need to find some new hardnose players. I think Pugh and Hill are two guys that can be among them. But we need more.

•  kujo says:

Need nasty, angry, badasses?

See Kouandijo, Cyrus.

On the OL especially if we are drafting a LT we need skill. He worries me in pass protection. With Eli I want a pass protector first. Which is after the shock of taking Pugh I was good with the pick.

•  kujo says:

Isn’t he known as a pretty solid pass protector?

•  kujo says:

And you can’t teach that size. 6’6, 310…

Would love to give The Venerable Patrick O’Flaherty some talent like that.

He might be a solid pass protector but drafting a first round LT I’m looking for an elite pass protector.

All the LTs are going to be around that size. The key is athleticism.

5.  skinnydoogan says:

Well then, thank God it is over with. Seemed like that game was never going to end yesterday. I just can’t erase the image of every QB pressure or sack on Eli had Diehl running behind the defender he just let by, great Giant, but it is time to hang up the cleats.

6.  kujo says:

There’s a number of excellent tackles that could very well be available to us at #12. Yes, I know we drafted Pugh last year. Yes, I know we just signed Beatty to a contract. But if there was a year to draft a tackle high, this is the year to do it, based purely on the value of it all. This will be the highest that Reese has ever drafted, and with could likely be there–tackles, corners, wide receivers, pass rushers– you pretty much have to take the best non-QB player available…

To the chagrin of Giants 101, of course…

•  James Stoll says:

…….. WR No. 1, DE no. 2

•  kujo says:

I happen to think both of those positions are areas of need, so I wouldn’t hate it.

Reese should try awfully hard to sign Nicks at a reasonable number. Coming off this season he is not getting a $10-12MM contract with big guarantees from anyone. If he can be signed to a reasonable deal it makes too much sense to pass it up. Then wide receiver is not an issue and the draft can be focused on the other areas of need where there is a lot of talent.

Signing Nicks may cost an extra few million above his current value, but he’s young, and doing so allows us to get a premier offensive lineman with our first pick rather than waste it on a receiver who is no sure thing. That combination of moves gives us the very best chance to make best use of the greatest asset this team possesses: Eli Manning.

I’d be very happy with a wide-receiving corps of Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Jernigan and two youngsters who can be developed and were found later in the draft, through UDFA, via free agency, or the Canadian league. No need to waste a valuable draft pick on one, especially this year when the only “sure-things” are not such sure things.

•  kujo says:

I’ve soured on Nicks. I really have.

The issue with Nicks is that we now don’t know who Nicks will be in 2014 going forward. It’s not just an issue with money it’s more like what happened with Boss. He’s healthy but been banged up a lot so what does his future hold.

Also with Jernigan stepping up and options like Manningham and Hixon available we can draft a WR who can develop like Randle.

Can’t argue with you with that thought. I think we keep some people like Beason and Joseph that make a few positions off limit. this being a QB draft helps us. 4-6 QBs are project to go higher than our pick so that helps us get a higher quality player than we would normally get. And given we are not going to draft a LB all drafted before us help us get more value as well. 4 QBs, Clowney, Barr and Mack are pretty good bets to proceed us. That means we get a top 5 pick in terms of who we would likely actually pick save for Clowney.

•  kujo says:

Again, it’s silly to even think about this stuff with any sense of seriousness on the Monday after the season ends…

But then again, our season has been over for 2 months anyway!

It’s not like we have playoffs to watch or are getting over just missing the playoffs on the last day.

Hats off to David Diehl. He left it all on the field. An over-achiever who got the most out of his ability. Tough and true Blue. Best of luck !!!

8.  kujo says:

Rolle says he’d like to sign an extension, which would clear up even more cap space. Let’s hope Eli follows suit and gives us what we need to sign who we need to sign to make this team a contender again!

I’m sure that’s coming with Eli. I’m not sure why it wasn’t done last year but I would be shocked if it wasn’t done this year.

An extension for Rolle makes a ton of sense. But I would only add two years, not 3 or 4 years.

Looking at the draft order it’s actually very possible Clowney slips to #6. Maybe the only team that doesn’t need a QB that wouldn’t draft Clowney is St Louis. With Quinn and Long they really don’t need a DE. Atlanta at #6 will draft him in a split second. I also wonder if Cleveland will move up to get their QB of choice. The Rams might gather more draft picks for teams wanting the second best QB.

•  kujo says:

I wonder if the Rams could get anything in the way of a trade for Bradford?

He hasn’t produced for them, based in large part on injuries, and they look like a team that’s just aching to burst out. They’ve got 2 1st rounders this year, and I wonder if they wouldn’t be keen on using one of them on a QB and accepting that Bradford just isn’t their guy.

On the other hand, it could be that a change of scenery is what Bradford needs to actualize his potential.

I dunno…musing…

10.  kujo says:

What do we do about our RB corps?

Can we rely on Wilson, who’s future is surely in jeopardy because of that neck thing?

Is it wise to rely on Andre Brown, who just can’t stop hurting his leg?

Is it possible that Michael Cox is anything better than terrible?

Jacobs, Hillis…nothing much there.

This is an underrated area of true concern here.

This is what I posted about earlier. I like Cox’s potential but his future contribution is questionable at best. Everything else is a major question. Brown can be part of the mix but you can’t have his as your #1. Wilson is a huge question. We need to draft a mid round RB and add another 1-2 RBs from later in the draft of cheap free agents.

You’re right, it’s a problem area. But with a much-improved offensive line I think we’ll be okay drafting someone with a relatively late pick and signing someone in free agency.

We don’t need a GREAT back. We need a few who can take the pounding, knock out 3.9-4.3 YPC averages, catch a pass out of the backfield, and pick up blitzes. There are plenty of players who will fit that prescription.

Then if Wilson can return we have a shot at a dynamic group. Way too many people have given up on him. He has the potential to be a star, or at the very least an X-factor that can mess up any defense a la Sproles.

•  kujo says:

I agree with your diagnosis, but I still say that we don’t have the guy(s) who, as you say, “can take the pounding, knock out 3.9-4.3 YPC averages, catch a pass out of the backfield, and pick up blitzes.” That guy isn’t currently on our roster, and I don’t know whether a mid round pick would offer that to us in their first year.

I shudder to think that we could go into next year with something like Wilson-Brown-Cox-rookie/veteran as our depth chart here. But I have a feeling it could very likely be just that.

1 2 3 ... 6