December 27th, 2013 at 3:00 PM
By Doug Rush

After months of speculating on his future in New Jersey, it looks like Hakeem Nicks might in fact be looking to stick around with the New York Giants past the 2013 season.

Nicks with the media on Friday to discuss his future with the Giants and said he not only wants to remain with the team, but also mentioned that money wouldn't be a factor in negotiations and he also wanted to discuss "organizational stability with the team."

"Players, coaches, the organization," he said. "That's just something I want to make sure I look at. I don't want to get myself in a situation where there's a lot going on. This organization is great stability wise. You don't want too many changes going on here. I like how they're always looking out for a player's best interest and things like that."

Nicks has had a bit of a disappointing season in 2013 due to the fact that he's been held out of the end zone all season long with no touchdowns to go along with the 54 catches for 846 yards he has this season.

His future in New York was really brought into question after he missed the game against the Dallas Cowboys with an abdominal injury and head coach Tom Coughlin felt that Nicks didn't fight hard enough to play in the game last month against Dallas after not practicing for much of that week, thus prompting fans to start turning on Nicks.

But after speaking to the media on Friday, Nicks really sounded like someone who wanted to return to the team and didn't rule out taking a hometown discount to stay with the team; but part of the "organizational stability" Nicks wanted to talk about with the team was the notion of offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride staying with the team.

Gilbride's future with the Giants has also come under heavy scrutiny due to his lack of imagination and creativity in certain games, plus the fact that the Giants offense had been shut out twice in 2013 and were the only team to be shut out until this past week. However, Gilbride is a long-time assistant and friend under Coughlin and has been a big part of Eli Manning's career, so it's not certain that Gilbride could get fired and throw in the fact that Nicks may want Gilbride to come back in order for him to sign a contract in the off-season and Gilbride might be back next season.

Tom Rock of Newsday tweeted that it was the first time all season where he felt that after he left Nicks' locker on Friday, that he legitimately felt Nicks could be back with the Giants.

"First time all season I walked away from Hakeem Nicks' locker thinking he could be back next year," he tweeted.

Some wondered before the season if Nicks would get a deal similar to the one Mike Wallace signed with the Miami Dolphins for at least $10-11 million per season over five years and $30 million guaranteed, but the production in his numbers might not warrant that kind of deal, but it sounds like Nicks may not even require that kind of deal in order to stay with the Giants past this season and could in fact take less to stay.S

So for all of the Nicks-haters out there who have bashed him all year for being nothing more than a greedy contract chaser, this news is the 100 percent opposite of all of those claims.

Tags: Football, Hakeem Nicks, Kevin Gilbride, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

44 Responses to “Hakeem Nicks, New York Giants to Meet Next Week; WR Wants to Discuss “Organizational Stability””

1 2 3
  1.  turkish says:

“organizational stability with the team.”

Can someone explain what this means?

•  turkish says:

“I can’t control nothing, but I love Coach Gilbride and his schemes, Coach Coughlin, the way he coaches, the defensive coaches,” he said. “I love the whole staff. I won a Super Bowl with this staff so it’s not like we can’t do it. I believe we can do it.”

Sounds to me like there is a REAL possibility Mara may clean house.

•  Dirt says:

“Players, coaches, the organization,” Nicks said, via the Newark Star-Ledger. “That’s just something I want to make sure I look at. I don’t want to get myself in a situation where there’s a lot going on. This organization is great stability wise. You don’t want too many changes going on here. I like how they’re always looking out for a player’s best interest and things like that.”

2.  jerseyrich says:

I don think too many guys on this site ever accused him of being money-hungry. As far as I can recall, most of us just had the impression that he didn’t want to be a Giant.

Im actually pretty surprised to hear this sort of talk coming from him. Im pretty sure everyone is.

3.  turkish says:

Again, sounds to me like Mara may clean house. Why else would Nicks stress the “stability” issue if Coughlin and Gilbride are nearly “100% returning” like the “reports” say?

4.  jerseyrich says:

Well, if hakeem does sign somewhere else, its not like he wont have to be introduced to new coaches and new schemes regardless. Don’t really see how gillbride being here or not would factor too much into his decision.

•  Begiant says:

I think “stability” is the part of Hakeem Nicks’ statement you must have not read correctly. It sounds like he wants to go someplace that already has a system, not where the entire team is trying to figure stuff out. The Giants have had great coaching stability over the years and Nicks seems to appreciate that. I don’t think he wants to be in a longterm contract with a revolving door of coaches.

•  jerseyrich says:

Ok…if that’s what he meant than you’re right. I though he was alluding to the fact that HE would have to learn something new.

5.  kujo says:

Re: Nicks

I’m ambivalent. I want an explanation for this year. If he’s injured, fine–yet another injury for the kid. If the contract year thing really messed with his head, which is a theory that was being bandied about early in the season, then okay–no harm no foul I guess. But if that’s not it, and if he’s not injured, and this is just how it’s going to be, goodbye. I love the big play ability, I love the physicality, and I love the way he played ball from the moment he got here until that Tampa game really screwed up his wheels. But there’s something wrong with 2013 Nicks, and before we make any decisions about this kid, we need to figure out what the heck it is!

6.  kujo says:

“I do have a gut feeling that he’s coming back. I don’t know if that gut feeling is true, but I do have a gut feeling and it’s more so just me being selfish. That’s just what I want to see. I want to see him back here with us. I want to see him being his same old self, his same old calm, resolved self and hopefully that can happen, but if not, I wish him the absolute best and he knows that.” – Cruz on Nicks

7.  jerseyrich says:

I will say this: if he was banged up all year, and he does return at a discounted price and pretty much at the skill level he always had, that would be a HUGE problem that we dont have to deal with going forward.

8.  James Stoll says:

Could be nothing more than contract negotiation speak

9.  James Stoll says:

Amen

I’ve been a Nicks fan since we drafted him. And after 2011 I thought he was set to make the final leap to superstar status.

That was then … this is now.

2012 … 53 catches for 692 yards. 3 TDs.
    2013 … 54 catches for 846 yards. 0 TDs.

I don’t know what the hell is wrong with him. But after almost 2 full years of very similar production it’s hard to believe he’s ever going to be that guy from 2011 again. It’s sad … it sucks … but the numbers don’t lie. And those numbers are pretty average.

•  Krow says:

Compare this to Reuben Randle …

2013 … 41 catches for 611 yards. 6 TDs.

… and he’s our #3 guy.

•  jerseyrich says:

Pretty average, for a supposed #1, is being kind.

He might be best served taking a discounted 2 year deal now, hopefully regain his form, and then try to cash in in 2016. I cant see any team giving him a lucrative long term deal this year. Also, the Giants would be insane if they franchised him.

Wonder if there’s ever been a 900-1000 yrd receiver with 0 td’s.

1 2 3