Speaking to reporters following Washington Redskins practice on Tuesday, Cofield said Coughlin still very much "has a grasp" on his locker-room and should, ultimately, be allowed to return in 2014.
“I think he deserves to stick around as long as he wants to coach,” Cofield told The Star-Ledger earlier this week. “He still has a grasp of the locker room. He’s a good coach. He’s been successful. He won them two championships.”
The "he should coach as long as he wants" sentiment is one often heard by current members of Big Blue, but to hear it from a former player — who has absolutely nothing to gain by brown-nosing — speaks volumes about Coughlin as a coach and a man. He is widely loved and respected across the league, and really shouldn't bare the brunt of the blame for a poor 2013 campaign.
But, one of the most common knocks against Coughlin is his age. After all, he's now 67-years-old and the oldest coach in the league, which leads some to believe he's lost touch with a younger generation of players.
Again, Cofield disagrees.
"I don’t think he really has to relate to them on a personal level,” Cofield said. “He brings passion to the game. He prepares. Even with his age, he brings a ton of energy. I don’t think age really matters.”
At the end of the day, this isn't just lip service. Current and former players alike, they love to play for Tom Coughlin. Who would have ever imaged that 10 years ago?
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You're not an average fan, so why wear an average shirt to represent your team? LogoWear brings some originality to the game and will help you be the star of your team's following - not the third guy in off the bench. Your team isn't just another team. Don't be caught wearing just another shirt. Make a statement with LogoWear!Barry Cofield, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin, Washington, Washington Redskins
- Mathias Kiwanuka Says There is “Absolutely” Tension in New York Giants Locker-Room
- Losing Season Beginning to Fracture New York Giants’ Locker-Room; Infighting Goes Public
- Lawrence Taylor Feels It’s Time for New York Giants, Tom Coughlin to Part Ways
- New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle Feels Redskins QB Robert Griffin III is Taking “Too Many Hits”
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/15xy