December 23rd, 2013 at 1:57 PM
By Doug Rush

Heading into Sunday afternoon's game against the Detroit Lions, the New York Giants had to figure out a plan to stop the best wide receiver in the NFL in Calvin Johnson.

'Commissioner Goodell with Prince Amukamara' photo (c) 2011, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

With over 1,400 yards and 12 touchdowns, actually stopping the man known as "Megaton" can scare a defensive coordinator into sleepless nights, but that's exactly what Perry Fewell had to game-plan for and his plan on Sunday was putting Prince Amukamara on Johnson instead of rotating between Amukamara and the 5'8" Trumaine McBride, who may have been seriously undermatched if he were to have drawn the assignment of covering Johnson.

Up until yesterday, Amukamara had not been given Corey Webster's old job as the number one cornerback who shadowed the opponent's best receiver, but the Giants made the exception for Johnson and it ended up proving to be a smart move by Fewell and the Giants as Johnson was held to three catches for 43 yards and no touchdowns as the Giants were able to get a 23-20 overtime victory over the Lions at Ford Field on Sunday to end their postseason hopes.

Granted, Johnson was also bothered by a knee injury during the game and it bothered him to the point where it landed him on the sideline a lot more than the Lions probably would have liked, but in the NFL, there's no making excuses for the injuries that happen to your team; the Giants know this better than anything else with their laundry list of players on the injured reserve.

Despite being able to handle the NFL's best receiver with relative ease, Amukamara admitted after the game that just his presence alone makes it nerve-racking to try and cover Megatron on the field, but was honored that the Giants felt comfortable enough to have him shadow Johnson on Sunday.

"You do feel special when you get the assignment to match up against the receiver, and everyone knows that Megatron is all-world," Amukamara said. "So I had my hands full when he was in."

Before the 2013 year started, Amukamara felt that he could become a shutdown-type corner in the NFL similar to Darrelle Revis of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawks and with Webster's career with the Giants likely over after this season, Amukamara will likely get more opportunities after Sunday to draw the opponents best receiver and will get more chances to show the league that he is in fact a shutdown corner in the league just like Revis and Sherman.

Photo credit: Chris Pusateri Photography / Foter / CC BY-NC-SA

Tags: Calvin Johnson, Corey Webster, Detroit, Detroit Lions, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Perry Fewell, Prince Amukamara, Trumaine McBride

50 Responses to “Prince Amukamara Shadowing Calvin Johnson Pays Off in New York Giants’ 23-20 Victory Vs. Lions”

1.  kujo says:

Prince-Dennard-Hosley-McBride-Veteran FA

That should be our depth chart next season. Make it so, Reese.

Calvin was not a 100% though.

3.  stuh says:

Calvin wasn’t out there on a lot of plays, but that doesn’t matter Kiwi and Hill had great games. What a turn around for Kiwi the last couple of games.It was great to see where did that come from? Most of the year he was a non factor.
    I read a quote from TC he said about the players that they have been taking a lot of abuse and this was redemption. Maybe not in those exact words, it struck me that he doesn’t think the coaching was taking any abuse. Is he living on another planet?

To handle Megatron at 80% the way Prince did was a true accomplishment. This may turnout to be when Prince turned the corner into becoming a true #1 CB. He’s been our best CB for two years but that has almost been as much by default as accomplishment. Playing that guy with their season on the line and knowing how Stafford will just throw it up to Megatron really shows Prince was doing an outstanding job as were the safeties.

While McBride played well this year I feel like he’s not a long term solution even as a 4th CB. His size will always put him at risk of being beat. That’s just my thoughts because on the field he played well enough to be back next year.

Jernigan really changed his who view as a player the last few weeks. I always though he would be good in the slot but even I was surprised the plays he made on the outside. Unlike Barden the kid has speed and quickness so if has learned how to run routes and catch the ball he can be a nice player.

To repeat from last night outside of all of our other issues Eli has to play better. Yes, having the OL and receivers would greatly help but more of it is on Eli than some want to admit. I think a big issue is our QB coach. I think it’s not an accident that Sullivan left, Eli’s play has suffered. It seems that pocket wise and technique wise their are just many little things Eli isn’t doing as well.

•  stuh says:

I don’t know about that. Wouldn’t you think that after all the years and all the reps. he has had that who his coach is shouldn’t matter.

•  buljos says:

Absolutely not. The best athletes in the world in every sport, no matter how long they’ve been playing, have personal / position coaches. They spot things that the athlete / player needs to be identified and addressed. For the past couple years Eli’s QB Coach is the promoted WR Coach, and I for one think that’s not helping him out as much as he could be helped if he had a bona fide lifetime QB coach guru. I think Eli needs a QB Coach like Tiger needs a swing coach… to watch his mechanics over and over, identify where he’s developing bad habits, and making corrections. I don’t know that three years quality control coach followed by two years WR coach is the best possible resume for Sean Ryan to be Eli’s coach. Maybe Ryan’s experience and background has him focused on ensuring Eli is in sync with his WRs, but not necessarily focused on his mechanics. I’d be surprised if Sean Ryan could hold a candle as a QB coach to Tom Clements, who developed Aaron Rogers, and spent 10 years coaching quarterbacks for Bill Cowher, Mike Ditka and Lou Holtz. He was a QB himself for 12 years in the CFL and was a 7 time divisional all-star and two-time Grey Cup champion. With all due respect to Sean Ryan, Eli needs someone like Tom Clements.

•  Kettles78 says:

Eli has terrible technique when he is under constant pressure. He believes he can make a throw off his back foot. After 10 years in the league he shouldn’t need a QB coach to fix him. I believe provided a decent amount of time in the pocket he would be back to his normal self

•  Krow says:

I do too. This OL mess hits him at his weak spots.

There’s a reason they have QB coaches. Tiger should need a swing coach but he has one. The coach isn’t going to fix everything but a good coach can help some things that have faltered over the last 2 years, especially his pocket movement.

•  Kettles78 says:

You don’t think that has anything to do with the terrible blocking that if he steps up he gets blasted and the DE are all over him outside?

5.  stuh says:

Off to physical therapy. Believe me the only good thing about growing old is that you made.
    The best part is waking up in the morning not surrounded by wood.
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

6.  jerseyrich says:

Jeez…Romo done for the year with a back injury….wow.

Well, we know Prince is definitely capable of being a 1A corner. He has all the tools and he is learning well. Frankly, I think he’d do better in a man-cover scheme but he’s had a pretty good season that gets obscured sometimes by the number of passes completed in front of him, an approach that Fewell wants rather than risk seeing someone run deep past his defenders.

Can he become a true #1 corner? I think he can, but I want another one brought in here to compete with him and assure us of bookend outside corners who will be around for years. If Dennard is available when we pick in April (which I very much doubt now that we’ll probably have 7 wins) he would be a very good selection.

8.  kujo says:

Prince is good, but I think he’s approaching his ceiling–a solid player who could go up against, but never truly neutralize, the better WRs in the NFL.

Behind him, though, is absolute flotsam and jetsam, at best. Hosley is an unknown (and no, I don’t think he’s a “bust” just because he’s had a tough sophomore season, wherein he was plagued by what is typically the death knell for skill players: hamstring issues); Webster’s done; Thomas is too. McBride is a fine depth player, but nothing more.

I kinda view our secondary as Problem #2 that we need to address this offseason, with #1 being the offensive line (obviously). Both units can be specifically cited as being the reasons we are where we are at this moment in time. Fix them both by infusing our roster with a handful of quality players and we’ll be no less than 50% closer to where we need to be.

9.  jb322 says:

Holy cow Kujo, what did you all of a sudden sprout a vajayjay? Stop apologizing already, you sissy. As for Eli, He ain’t been right since Sullivan left. Remember Sullivan was the WR coach and switched to be QB coach. His knowledge of both positions led Eli to a career year.

•  kujo says:

I’ve always laughed at how arbitrary the censor system on Giants 101 is. Vajayjay = okay. **** = not so much

•  jb322 says:

I figured as much, I love your posts. don’t apologize for anything.

•  kujo says:

Don’t get your tampon in a twist–I’m not going to be a different person. But I’m going to make an effort not to step too far over the line.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Kujo, to add to the last thread, as you know, it was me that took you waaayyy too seriously, I should have known better. Sorry about that. Hopefully we can move on and we can once again resume regular football banter. I hold you and many others here in high esteem based on your opinions and superior football knowledge, that is why I choose this site above all the other ones out there.

10.  jb322 says:

I couldn’t resist, Seriously guys, Hug it out!