Scouting the Fiesta Bowl: New York Giants Targets to Watch

December 20th, 2013 at 11:00 AM
By axr29

This year’s BCS bowl games will be filled with potential players that can help the New York Giants. The first bowl that will break down will be the Fiesta Bowl, which takes place Wednesday, January 1st at 6:30 PM. The Giants will be looking to fill holes at linebacker, offensive line and cornerback to name a few. The below players could be players the New York Giants target in this April’s draft.

Cyril Richardson, G, Baylor

Projected Round: Round 1-2

Another solid guard prospect in the 2014 is Cyril Richardson, whose stock might shoot up as we get closer to draft day. Richardson anchored one of the most explosive offenses in the country this year, and opened plenty of holes for running back Lache Seastrunk. As a Hurricane Katrina refugee, Richardson missed two years of high school football so he still has some work to do in terms of pass protection and knowledge of the game. However, his run blocking is best fit for a power running game and he is very good at it. While not the best athlete, Richardson’s size (6’4”, 335 pounds) allows him to dominate defensive lines and open massive holes.

Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor

Projected Round: 2-3

A phenomenal athlete for his build (5’10”, 210 pounds), Seastrunk runs a 4.5 forty yard dash and has great open field speed for the NFL level. He is also strong, and uses his powerful legs to break through tacklers. While he has all the tools to be a productive NFL running back, Seastrunk has just as many holes in his game. At the moment he is too much of an east to west runningback and will need to work more on running vertical. If he fixes his game up, he could develop into an Ahmad Bradshaw type player, however given the deficiencies in his game and character issues I wouldn’t be surprised to see him fall into day three.

Storm Johnson, RB, UCF

Projected Round: 5-7

Storm Johnson is an intriguing prospect out the little known University of Central Florida, who had a breakout season and will appear in their first BCS Bowl. Johnson has decided to leave early and forgo his senior season, even though he could improve his draft stock by staying. Johnson possesses a strong frame and great speed (likely in the 4.45-4.6 range) and has great vision. He is built as a prototypical NFL power back that excels between the tackles and has the speed to break a big run when he gets to the next level. Johnson could be a real steal in the late rounds of the draft, and could be a nice compliment to David Wilson.

Photo credit: cmiked / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

Tags: Cyril Richardson, Football, Lache Seastrunk, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Storm Johnson

11 Responses to “Scouting the Fiesta Bowl: New York Giants Targets to Watch”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

No thanks on Cyril Richardson. If we’re gonna draft Diehl’s replacement, i want David YanKey from Stanford. That kid is a beast.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I Meant Snee’s.

I also expect Yankey’s stock to climb after the Rose Bowl and Combine. Yankey is slotted in the late 2nd round right now, but i’d be more than happy with him with our 2nd rd pick.

•  Krow says:

If that doesn’t work out I have a sack of potatoes that could be $nee’s replacement. And it won’t go on IR either.

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

also, pass on Lache Seastrunk. I think he’s a good player, but i see him being average in the NFL. Kind of actually reminds me of Wilson.

• Anthony RaiaAnthony Raia says:

I wouldn’t use a second or third on a RB, but if he stays healthy I think Seastrunk could be a productive NFL back at a 10-15 carry a game level.

3.  jfunk says:

Regarding our offensive line issues, I took a look back at our draft history and I don’t think this is necessary a Jerry Reese issue so far as it doesn’t really look any better under Accorsi either. Snee and Diehl were really Accorsi’s only hits and we obviously had some inside info on Snee.

So the question is, where has the system actually broken down? Was it really Accorsi that made those UDFA and FA pickups good, or did we lose other scouting personnel that were responsible for those?

Are out choices really any worse or has Flaherty’s coaching ability slipped over the years?

I mean, if Baas didn’t get bit by the injury bug (guy was reliable before coming here so that’s not something JR should have seen coming) and Falherty had been able to turn just one of the myriad Guards he’s been given into a quality starter our o-line would look a whole lot better.

•  JimStoll says:

that’s the kind of dangerous thinking I worry about
      while you may be right that Accorsi’s track record was not great, JR’s doesn’t get better by comparison
      if anything it gets worse

and while I think it is fair to credit coaches for getting as much and sometimes more out of players than their raw talent would suggest, if you consistently give them crap to work with, you have to expect limitations

•  jfunk says:

I’m not suggesting JR doesn’t have work to do to fix this, because the rest of the staff’s performance is ultimately his responsibility.

All I’m saying is the OL evaluation skills of the guy sitting in his chair might not be the thing that’s changed over recent years to cause the meltdown.

If JR’s been following the same formula and these guys have been saying “trust us, trust us”, this year might really be the first point at which they’ve had the “opportunity to fail”…and they did so in dramatic fashion. We finally ran out of “serviceable” years from our veterans and found out we had not a single young guy on the bench capable of stepping into the lineup outside of our first round draft pick.

The question is, will JR now address the problem? I have no idea if scouting department changes even get reported anywhere, but I’d love to know if there are any changes made there (or obviously if Falherty is moved or put on the hot seat).

Repost:

The NFL changes too much every year to give up on 2014 before it starts. Our division sucks. The Philly system over the offseason will be figured up better. Dallas and the Redskins have as many or more issues than we do. There’s a lot to do for us to return to being a good football team again but I think we definitely need some new energy. Whether that comes from just new players or coaches I don’t know but I don’t think we have had great energy since we won the SB. What made the 2011 team was the fight it always had. You never felt a game was over because we always were in game until the end. We need to get that back.

I do think JR is a quality GM. I think some are missing the depth that he has provided every year until this year. Given the mass of injuries we have suffered every year until this year it’s been because of JR’s depth we have still be able to win. But what he did this year didn’t work. It was a disaster giving Cruz and contract while making our #1 WR play out his deal. It didn’t work having all these players on one year deals on the field or from a team chemistry standpoint.

I think for JR next year is easier as a GM because we had a bad year so he’s free not re-sign someone like Nicks and to let go of vets like Snee and Kiwi (or Tuck). we had been winning so the thought has been just add a few pieces but don’t rip the core apart. After a year like this everything gets re-examined and that’s probably a good thing.

I think JPP should be locked up long term if we re-sign Joseph. I worry about having Joseph being paid and JPP not turning out like the Nicks, Cruz situation. I understand JPP is a risk now but by signing him we should be able to get a big discount over what it would have cost a year ago. We need to take care of our core guys. The Nicks situation has to be used as a learning experience.

And finally I’m coming to the point that I think removing TC would be best. The latest reason is that JR didn’t hire TC and if he’s going to be here long term as it appears he should be allowed to bring in his guy. While TC was winning there was no way you could make a change just to appease JR. But now it makes since. There is just too much disconnect with personnel and how players are used. I think only because it’s the Giants we haven’t heard whispers but I think our young guys not playing is TC not being on board as much as it is being old school. It seems that the team just needs new leadership. We at least need a new voice in the room between the HC, OC and DC.

•  rlhjr says:

With players and coaches, it’s better to let them go a year too early, than a year too late. The only coach I want to replace Coughlin is the Stanford coach.
      He “GET’S” how to play physical football on both sides of the line.

He also will have a head start on identifing and drafting the type of kids who can play the type of football needed here. By far NO ONE from the colligate ranks is better suited to play Giants football, and add a dash of innovation that is so desperately needed by this team. David Shaw is the man.

I’m sure Chip Kelly would be “overjoyed” to see Shaw in Blue.

I like Storm Johnson as a mid round pick. That’s where we should look at a RB. Given our other needs I say 4th round at the earliest. IMO OL, WR and CB should be our first 3 picks in some order. I really feel that trading down from our pick around 10 makes a ton of sense. I think we could use another player or two in the top three rounds. We are pick right when we probably lose the elite LTs and maybe too early for the top CBs. WRs could make sense but I don’t feel great about drafting a WR so early although I do like a few guys. Top 10 WRs also seem to be a lot of misses. Especially those not in the top few picks. Plus we just need more good football players than a star player. A first round pick in the 20s, with 2 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks is what would best infuse the roster with talent.