What makes this an interesting case for the Giants is that many felt that Sullivan could have been a potential replacement and future heir to Coughlin for the Giants' head coaching job whenever the 67-year-old decided to hang it up; some have even wondered with the Giants disappointing 2013 season, if this year would be the final one for Coughlin and maybe Sullivan gets a call for an interview.
Sullivan was with the Giants first as a wide receivers coach and then the quarterback coach most recently in 2011 before getting hired by Greg Schiano to take over as the Buccaneers offensive coordinator in 2012.
Some also thought that if Schiano had gotten fired in the middle of the season when the team was winless and looking like they would run him out of Tampa Bay, Sullivan could have taken over as the interim head coach and maybe even as a replacement as a permanent head coach, but the Buccaneers have shown some life over the last few weeks and have been able to allow Schiano to keep his job for the time being.
Before being on staff with the Giants, Sullivan was also with Coughlin when he was the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars, as he served as Coughlin's offensive quality control coach in 2002 and was there in 2003 after Coughlin was fired by the Jaguars and then joined Coughlin with the Giants in 2004.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
You're not an average fan, so why wear an average shirt to represent your team? LogoWear brings some originality to the game and will help you be the star of your team's following - not the third guy in off the bench. Your team isn't just another team. Don't be caught wearing just another shirt. Make a statement with LogoWear!Army, Football, Greg Schiano, Mike Sullivan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tom Coughlin
- Did Bill Cowher Drop a Hint About Still Wanting the New York Giants Head Coaching Job in Future?
- “Fire Tom Coughlin” as New York Giants Head Coach Debates Only Grow Louder with 0-4 Start
- New York Giants Head Coach Tom Coughlin Challenges Critics, Doubters Who Say He’s Too Old
- Debate: Does Tom Coughlin Deserve to Be Fired as New York Giants Head Coach?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/15rn