December 18th, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Antrel Rolle pulls no punches. He never has, he never will and he doesn't backtrack on the things he says. For that reason, it should come as absolutely no surprise that the veteran New York Giants safety lit up the airwaves on Tuesday afternoon during his weekly spot with WFAN.

With the talk of the town focused on a divide in the Giants' locker-room — something openly acknowledged by Mathias Kiwanuka — Rolle admits that frustration has boiled over. In fact, Rolle says, it's been so bad and so eye-opening, that an offseason shake-up is entirely necessary.

“I think this is something that is an eye-opener,” Rolle said. “It’s an eye-opener to everyone. To myself, to Eli, to coach Coughlin, to management. Some things need to be shaken up. That’s the reality of it."

One of the biggest issues facing Big Blue, the captain feels, is their mindset.

Unlike their Week 15 opponents, the Seattle Seahawks, Rolle feels the Giants just don't have that crazed dog mentality. He references the Seahawks organization specifically, noting that they "weren't that good" only a few years ago, but now truly believe they're the best in the business — and that's something that has shown on the field.

“This year, obviously, it’s too late. We still have two games to go and we’re going to fight like hell. Come next year, come this off-season, things need to be addressed as far as the overall mindset. I think that’s something that’s extremely needed right now in our locker room," he said.

At the end of the day, Rolle says success on the football field is predominantly mental: “It’s about trying to get the win at all costs.”

They've been there before, they've done that before and Rolle feels they can do it again.

Photo credit: Football Schedule / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Football, Mathias Kiwanuka, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Seattle, Seattle Seahawks

27 Responses to “New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle: “Things Need to Be Shaken up” After “Eye-Opening” Season”

1.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Great article! LOVE Antrel Rolle. The guy has always played his butt off and done whatever has been asked of him. I really hope he remains a Giant for the rest of his career. We need more guys with this mentality moving forward to be true contenders. And everything that he said is spot on.

Wanted to repost my thoughts from the last thread:

Anyone suggesting at this point that Robinson is the possible solution at TE for us is an idiot. Either that, or JR and this coaching staff are the idiots. The kid doesn’t even dress – so either he IS good and this coaching staff is even more inept than even the most pessimistic fan could imagine…or he just flat out sucks. Same goes for Donnell. The guy dresses, but has shown VERY little. And with Meyers “production” this season – it shouldn’t have been terribly hard to see the field. TE is a VERY glaring need on this team. Letting Bennett walk was one of Reese’s biggest blunders as a GM.

CB is another VERY glaring weakness on this team. Prince has the ability to be a SOLID #2 CB and Hosley has the look of a solid slot CB…but beyond that, we need serious help. I do like what little bit I have seen of Charles James…but he is another smaller guy…and more of a KR. I maintain that we should draft Dennard with our first round pick in April. I think that the kid has superstar potential and would help solidify our secondary. I would also take another guy, depending on the value…anywhere between 3-6. I’d also look at guys like Antoine Cason and Tracy Porter in FA if we could sign them to reasonable deals.

Everyone knows this OL is the worst unit on the team. There’s no hiding it. I have long banged the drum to go big after Alex Mack in the offseason, but now I have another idea. I would target 2 of the best starting OG’s in FA (Jon Asamoah and Wade Smith) and lock down both of those guys. Re-sign Boothe to a 1-2 year deal and then draft a center in round 3-4. Many STARTING caliber centers can be found in the middle rounds of the draft every year. This would enable us to retain Baas for one more year, giving our future center a year to learn with Boothe in place as a very solid backup for when Baas injures himself tying his shoes. Last year, rather than trading up to get Nassib I maintained that the team should have targeted Brian Schwenke (who we still would have had to move to select, but has started every game for Tennessee this year) or Barrett Jones, who has had somewhat of a red-shirt year in St. Louis. We need a MINIMUM of 2 new STARTERS on this OL next season, from game 1…if not 3. If not, we’re in for another long year.

Finally, to all those still defending the schemes ran by the team, look at it this way. Teams led by backup QB’s are posting 40 points a game. A team that won 2 games last season is now one of the best teams in the league with a new coaching staff. Carolina straight up said they knew what was coming because nothing had changed and Blackburn knew all of the calls. Our playcalling is STALE and completely un-innovative (if that’s a word) and DOESN’T WORK! At this point, Eli MAY have 6 good years left IF we restore the OL. We need an innovator at OC who will simplify the playbook to get the most out of our playmakers and put points on the board. Nicks is gone. You cannot convince me otherwise. Meaning that at some point in the draft or FA that we will grab his successor; whoever that is needs to be able to come in and contribute IMMEDIATELY. At this point, any year squandered over the stubbornness and refusal to switch things up is just taking away from a potential run at the title. We need to maximize the time we have left with Eli as our signal caller – keeping this system in place is just going to result in the same failure, and is thus just a waste of time.

•  Krow says:

We don’t have the talent to execute the schemes we run. Changing the schemes … a move I’ve long supported … will still not create talent. That’s the real systemic issue. Not enough high quality players.

•  JimStoll says:

I agree on the talent front
        just don’t have confidence that the people who created the talent dearth are the people to correct it

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

I can’t believe that there’s actually a conversation about Louis Murphy on the previous thread. And people here are actually thinking that he was/is/gonna be a suitable 4th WR on this team or anywhere in the league. My guess is that he won’t be on a team next year.

Also, FF55- I know what Murphy can do and can’t do. I’ve seen the kid play. I watched him in Oakland, Carolina and here in NY. And he stinks. So let’s not get ahead of saying things like “you can’t judge a player who isn’t getting chances”. He’s not a rookie. If he was suitable for this team, they’d play him.

And Goat – I know what you mean about JJ. But he’s garbage. And yes, I dont think he will be on the team next year. Yep. I dont care how many WR’s we have or don’t have. Is his rookie deal up? If so, he’s gone. Oh, and guess what? He’s not practicing today. LOL! JERNIGAN.

•  skinnydoogan says:

The Louis Murphy conversation was my fault, I really don’t know anything about him so I asked.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

It’s not your fault at all. But he’s just one of those guys that just isn’t worth a discussion. ya know?

Kind of like the whole Adrian Tracy debate. Dan, Is Tracy Eligible for the G101 HOF yet?

•  skinnydoogan says:

Yeah him and Travis Beckham.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I actually liked Beckum. I thought he was out of place here. And a bit undersized. And then his knee blew out. And that’s a wrap.

•  skinnydoogan says:

The Last 10 years have been littered with player we will never really know about. Sinorice Moss comes to mind, dude was a camp all star every year then evaporated in the regular season.

3.  JimStoll says:

one of my big concerns for the offseason is that JR has thus far looked pretty bad at assessing o-line talent. He’s added Beatty and Pugh — Beatty ranges somewhere between flat out stinks and meh (soft is a good word for him); Pugh has shown promise relative to the abysmal bunch he plays alongside of

every other draft pick and FA signing has been underwhelming

can he suddenly turn that around?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I think so, question is… do we have the money too?

•  Krow says:

We won’t if we don’t play hardball with all our declining veterans. A couple bad contracts/extensions will finish us off.

•  skinnydoogan says:

If we cut Snee, Bass, Webster, Kiwi and Rolle, we free up about $39 million even with dead money. I am NOT suggesting we cut Rolle but those are the facts.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Forgot Myers in that group he is another 10.4 million

•  BigBlueGiant says:

of course. I can see cutting Snee, Bass, Webster and Kiwi. But cutting Rolle would be a huge mistake. he’s played his heart out this year EVERY game, and is the leader of the defense. In fact, i don’t even know how JR will have the Ball$ to ask him to take a paycut. He’s by far the best player on our team this year on both sides of the ball.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Well I am for keeping Rolle too, his hit is $7.2 million so we still have roughly $32 mil to work with.

•  buljos says:

Definitely… they desperately need Rolle, and Beason, and Joseph, and more like them if this team is to take on a “Let’s go out there like a bunch of crazed dogs…” identity, which I think is sorely missing.

4.  skinnydoogan says:

Snee gets replaced with a player to be determined, Kiwi gets replaced by Moore, Bass by a yet to be determined player, Webster by Hosely or draft pick, and Myers a card board cut out of any reasonable facsimile of a tight end.

5.  skinnydoogan says:

Sounds at least workable to me.

KingAndrewXXIII – I disagree. Too many here and in other NFL cities fail players too quickly. Playing a year or two and rarely getting playing time isn’t failing, it’s not getting the opportunity. The fact is that Robinson was drafted as raw prospect. Last year he wasn’t ready and this year he got injured and missed much of the year. He could very well suck but it’s also not out of the question he can be a good player for us. He still has the same athletic ability. His issue was getting the mental parts of the game down. This is not just for Robinson it applies to other players all around the NFL. I wonder how many people realize that the Denver TE Thomas is in his 3rd year. Beatty took time. MM took time. Ballard took time. Not every player that hasn’t been an instant impact is or will be a bum. clearly some will be. But there are some answers on this roster from players who we have rarely seen. Remember Cruz was put on IR then almost cut. Look at Stevie Brown.

In addition, we know TC prefers to play the players he knows can get the job done like Pascoe. His way works but it also means that guys sometimes take longer to play. Maybe Robinson just becomes a blocking TE with athleticism. So a better version of Pascoe. Maybe not a starter but a player that helps.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

If there was ever a time for him to “get it” – it’s now. Meyers will almost certainly be gone next season. He needs to try and get on the field for these remaining 2 games so the coaching staff knows what we potentially have going into the off-season. He also needs to have a big off-season. I realize that it takes many players a few years to get acclimated to the league. The problem is with Robinson is that there is a lack of talent in front of him that for whatever reason, he still can not find his way onto the field. And if he does somehow make it onto the field and show promise, which at this point is a MAJOR if, it will be time to resign him…and we will likely let him walk.

7.  JimStoll says:

Conversation:

Jerry Reese: Tom, Chris has to go. $7M and he has no hips. I’m sorry but he has to go.

Tom: I know.

Tom’s daughter: Daddy, you’re not cutting Chris, are you. If you ever want to see your grandchildren again…..

•  Kettles78 says:

You give this guy no credit lol I think Coughlin has a little more integrity than that. Snee was solid for years and the drop off was sudden and quick between last year and this year.

8.  Kettles78 says:

Rolle is the man. So refreshing to have this guy on the team. He is such a good balance for Eli. I just hope they find a way to make sure he is on this team next year. I would be pretty upset if Rolle is gone for any reason