Scouting the Rose Bowl: Potential New York Giants Targets to Watch

December 16th, 2013 at 1:00 PM
By Anthony Raia

This year’s BCS bowl games will be filled with potential players that can help the New York Giants. The first bowl that we break down will be the Rose Bowl, which takes place Wednesday, January 1st at 5:00 PM EST. The Giants will be looking to fill holes at linebacker, offensive line and cornerback to name a few. The below players could be players the New York Giants target in this April’s draft.

Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State

Projected Round: Top 20

The Thorpe Award winner, Dennard is the best cornerback in the draft. Dennard’s instincts are off the charts, and much of that can be traced back to the hard work he puts in the film room. Dennard would be a great fit for the New York Giants, but it may take a scheme change. He would be most effective in press coverage and doesn’t have the elite speed to close on soft zone coverage. Dennard would need to get a little stronger to handle the top wide receivers in the league, but should be a starter from day one. Since he isn’t an elite athlete, his best asset to stopping receivers like Dez Bryant or Calvin Johnson is his ability to reroute them and not allow clean breaks off the line. Bryant and Johnson are stronger than any receiver Dennard faced at the college level, so adding that strength will be important. He could develop into an elite corner in the NFL.

Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State

Projected Round: 3-4

Max Bullough won’t blow you away with size or speed, but he does possess great intangibles. He does a great job of locating crossing receivers when dropping back into coverage and reading the play action. Bullough does a great job of beating blockers and shut down the run in the backfield, but projects to be a little bit of a project. He is a great tackler and if he gets a hold of a ball carrier the odds are he won’t finish the play without making the tackle. However, when he is one on one with a ball carrier in the open field he tends to struggle. If he could solve the open field issues and when rushing the passer, Bullough could develop into a solid linebacker.

David Yankey, G, Stanford

Projected Round: 2-3

David Yankey made a name for himself when Stanford upset then number two Oregon. All night Yankey pulled and dominated the undersized Oregon defense in the run game. Yankey possesses great football instincts and is great at picking up the blitz and stunts. He is capable of playing multiple positions across the offensive line but is probably best suited at guard. When blocking Yankey likes to make sure the defenders remember the block and is known to play with a mean streak. He is excellent in both run and pass protection, and would be a great fit for the New York Giants pitiful offensive line.

Photo credit: mattradickal / Foter.com / CC BY-NC

Tags: Darqueze Dennard, David Yankey, Football, Max Bullough, New York, New York Giants, NFL

74 Responses to “Scouting the Rose Bowl: Potential New York Giants Targets to Watch”

1 2 3
  1.  Chad Eldred says:

This has quickly become my favorite part of this site. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Going back a few threads, Luzz is spot on regarding RGIII. I feel bad for the kid, his career has been mismanaged from the get-go. Coaching and management should serve to temper the zealous nature of a young player and protect him not only from the opposition, but from himself. Just the opposite has taken place in Washington. Agree with the decision to shut him down, just hope it isn’t too little, too late.

2.  JimStoll says:

of the three mentioned players Yankee seems like the best fit
    we don’t need another slow corner or an LB prospect who depends on intangibles

• Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

I wouldn’t say Dennard is slow, he’s a 4.5 guy… just not elite.

Dennard might be faster than perceived. There were similar thoughts about Prince. The kid can play but testing wise you want to make sure he’s a good athlete.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Dennard is the BEST CB in this draft. That Gilbert kid from OKC is the 2nd best. Dennard is physical at the line, Can play man or zone, hits hard, and makes good jumps on the ball.

Expect to see his stock soar after this game and the combine.

Also, the reason why you may not think he’s elite, is because he hasn’t been thrown at that much this year.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Laying low today Jim?

3.  jfunk says:

Let me start by saying that I think Gilbride needs to go. Fixing the offensive line and replacing him are the two most important off season moves IMO. I just don’t believe that executing his offense at the highest level is an attainable short-term goal and the Eli-Era is now short on time.

That being said, I want to acknowledge that in some way I understand the “stubborn”, unbending methods practiced by Coughlin and Gilbride as an extension.

The bottom line is their system DOES work. You can win championships when it’s executed at the highest level. Thus, I can somewhat understand the perspective of “There’s no point in dumbing down the system because we can’t execute it. We just need to keep working at it until we CAN execute it, because our goal is to win championships and this is how we win them.” In other words, time spent practicing a system they don’t believe can take them all the way is wasted time.

Again, I’m not trying to sell this as an excuse and it doesn’t change my opinion that this system DOES need to go. I’m just saying I can understand the unwillingness to give up on or dramatically change the system if it’s the only one they know how to implement that they fully believe can win championships.

•  Kettles78 says:

I agree I think with a solid offensive line the system would work. I am just not a Gilbride fan

While I’m not at the point Gillbride needs to go, I wouldn’t mind if he did. A lot like how a feel about TC. I understand wanting change now after this miserable 22 game performance but I think many have been quick to overlook the success we did have with KG. It’s much like with Mack Brown, I can acknowledge it was time for a change but people have to respect what he did for the program. Gillbride did way more positive than he’s ever been given credit for here. we never had a group of allstars but posters acted like Gillbride was holding us back besides the offense’s success. I just hope our next OC is as successful as KG was in his tenure here.

4.  Kettles78 says:

I like Dennard, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu (had to look up that spelling), and Lamarcous Joyner. If Yankey is there in the 2nd I would like that pick.

• Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

as an FSU fan I would love to add Joyner to this team, and I’ll have more on him when I do the National Championship game write up. Problem is he is more of that third safety, nickle corner guy. If they can add a corner via free agency I would be okay trading down if Clowney isn’t there and go:

1. Gabe Jackson
      2. Kelvin Benjamin
      3. Joyner

•  Kettles78 says:

You think Joyner would still be there in the 3rd? I like Joyner because he can play corner and safety if needed. Benjamin I like him too. What about the guard from Baylor?

• Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

Joyner is probably a late second early third guy. Cyril Richardson is a tough one, he could land anywhere from late in the first to the third.

I’m really hoping Benjamin’s drop issues scare teams from taking him round 1 and he falls to round 2.

It’s funny that the reaction to this loss is so strong nationally and locally. Seattle is the best team in the NFL. They were ready to play and gave us their “A” game or close. I thought the team played hard, at least harder than last week we just got beat by the better team. The only player that I question their effort was Nicks. We played with emotion from the start yesterday unlike the past two weeks.

•  JimStoll says:

why do people suddenly think gilbride might get fired?
      as long as tom stays he stays

•  Kettles78 says:

You never know Jim you just never know. Fans have always gotten on Gilbride but media has never started rumoring around as much as they are now about him. I agree that I think Gilbride will be staying thanks to Coughlin. I am just worried about this offensive line.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Because even I think the backlash from the hideous spectacle yesterday is too great for the owners to ignore.

•  skinnydoogan says:

and for me that is big considering I have had the Coughlin extension clock going for a while now.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I could be wrong, have been many times in my life, but the stench of the second blanking, is hanging heavy over Metlife today.

The offense was top 9 in ppg and yard from 2008-the middle of last year every year. Since mid last year we have been bottom 10. It’s about results. KG hasn’t got them over a year and a half. It also hurts there have only been 2 shutouts in the NFL this year.

• Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

This. Offensive records are being set everywhere and the Giants aren’t taking part in it. Even Minnesota scored 40+ yesterday with Matt Cassell and Asiata leading the show.

May not be totally his fault, but he hasn’t helped much either.

•  JimStoll says:

but that argument applies to coughlin and eli as well; not to mention Reese for assembling this very poor roster

everyone know I’, a Fire Coughlin First guy; and I even question eli at this point given his age and salary, but as long as Tom is here he will decide who his staff is
          Gilbride has been with him the entire 10 years here
          Fewell and Gilbride were with him in Jacksonville

there is simply no way Tom stays and he lets them go

so for those who want a change at OC, you’re gonna have to start with a change at HC

since no one thinks that is going to happen, the only thing people can productively theorize about is who do we sign in FA; who do we not sign; and who do we draft

we know we need about 7 starter quality upgrades to become competitive again
          where will they come from?

•  LUZZ says:

I disagree. This offense is beyond putrid, Mara has the right to tell TC to make a change. And before you say it – No, the offense has not been this bad under TCs entire texture, except for a few lucky plays here and there.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Gilbride has been the offensive coordinator since 2006, he was the QB coach before that.

Unlike you most of us including TC saw the offense was very good for years so there was no reason to change. Now the offense is bad with a franchise QB who has played every game so there’s now reason to change. Even 2009 was on the defense not the offense. The offense has been the foundation of this team since 2008. Not anymore and so now serious changes need to take place. At worse even if we keep KG I’m guessing an offensive consultant and a new QB coach will be brought in. But if I had to make a guess, I think Gillbride will be gone. It’s definitely not a lock but there’s more like a 50-50 or better chance IMO.

Prior drafts are the start with players like Moore, Hankins, Kuhn, Robinson, Randle, Hosley Mosley, Taylor etc will have to step up and either start or play key roles next year. Then this year’s draft adding something like 2 starters but many contributors. And lastly free agents like Mack, Manningham or a Petiguw that fill immediate roles and maybe not break the bank.

•  Ditch Digger says:

Gilbride has always gotten a lot of crap for his offense, even when it was clicking. No doubt at times it has been a very good one. Whether fan frustration during the better years was warranted or not, if the product that goes out on the field every sunday for the better part of two seasons has performed below expectations or in some cases below minimum standards, you’re gonna get canned. He earned his rings as much as anyone else, but the only two people on the team venerated enough to not be fired are TC and Eli.

Now TC might have so much influence, even against all reason, KG gets retained. Before Sunday I thought for sure that would happen. But if the offense is as bad as its been next week and versus the skins, even Coughlin is gonna have a tough time keeping KG safe.

And you know that lions front is going to tear our OL to pieces. I’ll be satisfied if Eli makes it through next week without any broken bones or Ndamakung Suh’s cleat embedded in his colon. so I’m thinking gilbride’s only shot is a STRONG performance against the skins.

I don’t buy that TC is definitely safe. When we were 4-6 and the year looked like we could get to the 7-9, 8-8 range then he was. But now that this season has turned back into the embarrassment it started out as everyone is on notice except for Eli and JR. With TC part of it is his age. He’s not going to be here another 5 years or so and stay as long as Eli. Therefore, we have to look at if we can re-load or can he be part of a rebuild on the fly effort. As good as TC is there won’t be many if any head coaching opportunities simply because of his age. TC is 5 year older than the next oldest coach, Pete Carroll.

I think the most likely solution is to bring in an OC who’s also serving as a 1-2 year head coaching in waiting role. That will allow us to move forward while keeping some continuity.

•  Ditch Digger says:

I feel like TC’s age is a nonfactor. He is an old codger but he seems as energetic as ever, could just as easy see him coaching well into his 70′s. As long as his brain’s still sharp enough, that man will probably die on a football field one day.

I guess I just don’t see him getting fired because of his status in the organization, and I don’t think he will retire without a league mandate.

But who knows, having never met the man I’ve no idea whether he’s still got all of his bats in the belfry or not. For all we know he’s looking more like Grandpa and less like Coach these days, to the people who work with him.

6.  skinnydoogan says:

Even Gilbride’s Wiki page says that his offensive scheme is outdated LOL.

And let’s be clear this offense is as much TC and KG. KG is from the wide open run and shoot school. He’s merged his style with TC’s philosophies and Eli’s strength to throw deep. But this is not just a KG product. Remember he took over the prior OC’s system.

8.  jerseyrich says:

Funny…..the giants skins game may determine if the rams get the first pick in the draft. It may also determine, assuming the lions beat us, whether or not we draft in the top 5. Our strength of schedule is going to hurt us though.

9.  skinnydoogan says:

Yep there are two other teams with the same record as us but because their schedules were softer, they pick before us.

10.  jerseyrich says:

Btw….has anyone been experiencing having their browser shut down every time they try to get on this site? This is literally the first time in almost a week that ive been able to bring the site up.

1 2 3