Lawrence Taylor Feels It’s Time for New York Giants, Tom Coughlin to Part Ways

December 16th, 2013 at 7:00 AM
By Doug Rush

Over the last couple of weeks, New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin's name hasn't been discussed as being on the hot seat so much as his coordinators, Kevin Gilbride and Perry Fewell, have been.

Earlier in the season when the Giants got off to an 0-6 start, Coughlin's name was mentioned as being on the hot seat, but after the team won five out of it's last six games to get to 5-7, the talk of Coughlin being fired stopped. But after two straight defeated to the San Diego Chargers and Seattle Seahawks, there's some chatter of Coughlin being on the hot seat again.

The 2013 season will mark the first time the Giants will have a losing record since his first season with the team in 2004 where they finished 6-10 and could be a record that the Giants are headed for this season, especially after a 23-0 defeat at the hands of the Seattle Seahawks which dropped them to 5-9 on the season and leaves them with two more games left to play

While most have expected that the 67-year-old Coughlin will return to the Giants next season and finish out the final year of his contract, at least one prominent name feels that it's time for the Giants and Coughlin to part ways; Hall of Fame linebacker Lawrence Taylor.

Tom Coughlin has done wonders for the Giants. Personally, I don’t know if I could play for him, but the guy is a winner, he is a fighter. But I think it is time for him to take his talents on the road,’’ Taylor told The Post Saturday night at the David Ortiz Celebrity Golf Classic. “He’s done all he can do for the Giants. If he wants to coach, I think he needs to take his philosophies to another team. After a while, the players just stop listening. I respect the man, but it’s time. As much as I like Coughlin and the job he has done, it’s time for a shakeup.’’

It hasn't been the first time in Coughlin's 10 seasons as Giants head coach where he's been on the hot seat; as he was in 2007 and 2011 and responded both seasons with a Super Bowl title and both times, was rewarded with a contract extension with the team, but this time it's a little different.

Coughlin's Giants will miss the playoffs for the fourth time in five seasons and some have wondered if the two-time Super Bowl coach still has the zip on his fastball to be an NFL head coach in today's NFL, much less, does he have the desire to still want to be with the team even after everything has happened in 2013.

While some might agree with LT's assessment on the Giants current coaching situation, most would assume that as long as Coughlin still wants to come back in 2014 and give it at least one more go with the team, he has earned the right to do so considering his track record over the last 10 seasons, plus the two championships he's brought to the team over the last seven years.

Photo credit: Football Schedule / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Football, Kevin Gilbride, Lawrence Taylor, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Perry Fewell, Tom Coughlin

15 Responses to “Lawrence Taylor Feels It’s Time for New York Giants, Tom Coughlin to Part Ways”

1.  Chad Eldred says:

Coughlin won’t be the focal point of the coaching hot seat discussions this week, at least outside of the NY media. He can thank Jason Garrett for that.

•  Krow says:

Very true. The choking Cowbags had the game … but decided to pass !!! I won’t say it figures, but it figures.

2.  Ditch Digger says:

When our competitors are as bungling as the Cowboys, Eagles, and Redskins, you’ve gotta figure we stand a chance next year whether or not we deserve to.

•  turkish says:

Hate to admit it, but the Eagles are on an upswing. Chip Kelly turned that team around faster than predicted.

•  Ditch Digger says:

He certainly has, but I’m getting somewhat numbed to the flavor of the week stuff we’ve been seeing out of the NFL the past few years. I’m sure there were folks who thought RGIII and the skins would fall of some this year, but who saw a three win season?

I’ll wait and see how Chip, Foles, and co. fare next year.

3.  turkish says:

“I think he needs to take his philosophies to another team. After a while, the players just stop listening. I respect the man, but it’s time. As much as I like Coughlin and the job he has done, it’s time for a shakeup.’’

Bullseye. The philosophy is stale. Time to move on.

4.  LUZZ says:

The comment TC made about “feeling sorry for those guys on the team that didn’t give max effort, because they are missing the whole point.” This appears to be the first statement I’ve heard from TC that indicates he might have had enough.

I might be wrong, but this isn’t the kind of comment I’m used to hearing out of TC. We might all be surprised a bit over the next month.

5.  Nosh.0 says:

What we’ve seen from the Giants this year, and the second half of last season, can only be summed up as a complete meltdown offensively. This is as bad an offense as we have seen since Tom Coughlin has been here. And every single person deserves blame for it.

If the offense were not so unfathomably bad, I would have no doubt that TC and his entire staff will be back. But this type of play has a way of getting people fired more times than not in the NFL. It’s one thing to have a bad record, but this team is unwatchable.

Yesterdays only regret was not betting a months pay on Seattle -7. That was the lock of the year.

6.  Nosh.0 says:

Also on NFL players tanking.

No NFL players, or any pro athletes for that matter do not tank games. But you’re out of your mind if you think that the Giants, or any team, get up for a game after being eliminated like they get up for games when they’re still alive.

Get a former pro to talk candidly and they all admit that once the playoffs are not an option, the focus and energy start to tail off.

So this whole “we’re playing for pride thing” it’s nice, and I understand why the Giants have to say it. But Eli and the offense had the look of a unit that just wanted to end this nightmare without getting carted off the field.

7.  skinnydoogan says:

Fella’s, I am going to revert back to yesterdays nightmare of a thread one more time, then I am moving on to football. First off, I apologized to Dan directly if I have had some part in driving some of the posters away with my negative feelings toward the Giants coaching staff and the owner. I am now going to apologize directly the the posters that have mentioned this in particular, Kujo, Demo my apologies, I don’t know you guys from a hole in the wall but I do not wish to cause anyone grief here. Now on to perception I take pleasure in the Giants being bad. This could not be further from the truth. I am 46 years old. My first game I saw in person was the first one in the old Giants stadium, I was 8. I have been a true blue fan my whole life. I count Giants Superbowl victories among some of the high water marks in my life, including the birth of each of my 4 kids and getting my oldest through a premier institution of higher learning. I am negative because I get sick of seeing the same old thing, over and over again, I think it is time for a change. There are many sites like this one, I happen to think Dan has the best one. Especially because of the vast knowledge that the posters have. I read each and every one of your comments, take value out of all of them. Yes I do take particular pleasure in some of Jim Stoll’s stuff, but mostly because the guy is incredibly funny and a very good writer, so are you Kujo (minus the expletives). I could spend all day specifically mentioning all the other great posters, but there is not enough time in the day. Now onto differing points of views. Isn’t this the point? If we were all positive about this, what could we possibly analyze? I think one thing, you think something else, so what? I am as much as a fan as anyone else here. How about we all just get along?

8.  William says:

Dan, I have a suggestion that you scrap the Poor Eli post this week for obvious reasons. Part of the fun of that post was the irony which has now changed to reality. Plus as usual it will stir the pot and lead to more in fighting among the posters.
    Instead borrow a trick from psychology 101 and have a “Positive Post” only article where everyone who posts here must come up with some positives for the rest of the year and the 2014 season.
    You can mention players like Pugh that seems to be an answer on the offensive line or the idea that the rest of the NFC East is about as dysfunctional as one could ever hope for. I’m negative because of the redundancy of the coaching staff over the years but it is our first losing season in a very long time going back I think to Eli’s rookie season. Maybe if everyone digs deep for a positive note from every possible angle the majority of posting here will pull back from the window ledge.

9.  skinnydoogan says:

Now in other news, man that was bad yesterday. I don’t know about any of you folk’s, but I get jealous when I see other teams and the way they play. I watched the end of the Dallas game yesterday. I mean they have back up tight ends on Greenbay that our starting tight ends cannot even get close to playing at the same level. Also, it is starting to sound to me like old Tom might have had enough, for whatever reason, we just looked completely listless yesterday. Well that is except for Beason, Rolle, Hill and Mundy which are all gamers.

10.  CT GIANT says:

LUZZ: Might have something there?
    John Mara does not have a clue what to donor does Tisch the Pothead filmmaker.
    Reese was a scout, Accorsi would be my go to guy, if I were Mara. It’s one huge reason Coughlin always gets a pass, except 09 when he fired Sheridan, and not by choice.
    Reese is been King of this team, and has one of the worst drafting histories, playing God like in passing on O-line picks he needed, and got away with these 4-5th round
    players, until right now!
    If I were TC I would call it a career, this guy will have a freaking heart attack soon, his players with some exceptions, Rolle; Beason, don’t care what happens, and yes, it time to make changes before this whole thing blows up!
    CT GIANT