Poor Eli Manning: NFL Regular Season Week 14

December 13th, 2013 at 2:30 PM

"Poor Eli Manning” is a compilation of quotes by both the media and fans about New York Giants quarterback and Super Bowl XLII & XLVI MVP Eli Manning.

Despite his success, negativity and doubt have followed Peyton’s younger brother since the moment he was traded from the San Diego Chargers to the New York Giants on draft day in 2004. Regardless of what he does or how well he performs – even in a league that lives and dies by the motto: “What have you done for me lately?” – he is questioned and criticized.

'Eli Manning warming up' photo (c) 2009, Marianne O'Leary - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

In Sunday's 37-14 loss to the San Diego Chargers, Manning completed 20 of his 32 pass attempts (62.5%) for 259 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions. Perhaps more importantly, the loss eliminated Big Blue from the playoffs and opened the flood gates for any and all Manning haters.

Needless to say, precious few waited to erupt through that door, and the attacks were immediate. Some were statistically sound, but as is often the case, many went overboard — one even suggesting Eli is a worse human being than some of history's most evil people.

Steve Politi, The Star-Ledger

"Sorry, but no one gets to complain when their team wins – steals – two championships in a five-year span. You’ll have wait five years from now, when Eli Manning has wasted his entire prime throwing 20 interceptions a season on teams that miss the playoffs."

Dave Hutchinson, The Star-Ledger

"Philip Rivers even made Eli Manning look like a second-rate quarterback."

Chuck Schilken, Los Angeles Times

"New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning snubbed the San Diego Chargers once. And, therefore, he is a woman."

giantsin2011, Big Blue Interactive

"Honestly, I think Eli is finished. Personally, I don't think that he wants to get hit anymore and the game of football might be too brutal for him now. … He goes down when there is a player that sneezes on him, it is sad to watch."

DrEdFOOTDOc, Twitter

"I would trade for Phillip Rivers for Eli Manning in a heartbeat. The Giants would have won more Super Bowls with Rivers at the helm."

Andrea, Twitter

"If I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden and Eli Manning, and I had a gun with two bullets, I'd shoot Eli twice."

Ryan Davis, Twitter

"Eli Manning looks exactly like a Koopa Troopa."

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philip Rivers, San Diego, San Diego Chargers

56 Responses to “Poor Eli Manning: NFL Regular Season Week 14”

1.  LUZZ says:

So what ever happened to Sierra Nevada drinking Frank? Frank e kriezinski or something like that? He gets mentioned a bit from time to time, but I missed what lead to his departure? Did he just fade away or was there an event that lead to it.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Exile post Super Bowl (2007). Said he’d leave if they won — he truly believed they couldn’t.

•  LUZZ says:

Help me out here… He was upset we won and left the site? That can’t be right. There was no fighting or anything?

•  LUZZ says:

Seems odd. Does anyone have any contact with him? Hope he’s still with us.

I enjoyed his posting. He should come back. He’d be welcomed with open arms.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Nothing. He didn’t even celebrate the win. Just went complete silent and never returned.

•  James Stoll says:

He was an old timer; older than FF; so who knows

•  Nosh.0 says:

There was a lot of Eli Manning debate that year, and rightfully so. Un-drafted Tony Romo outplayed him twice in the regular season.

Pretty sure Frank was one of those fans that just didn’t like Eli, I still have some Giants fan friends who for whatever reason don’t like Eli either, so it’s not entirely unusual. See title of this article.

Anyway, after we won the SB a lot of people on this site who always backed Eli got really obnoxious about it, to the point where it would have been hard for Frank to celebrate on here. The site has mellowed down a lot since then in my opinion.

•  James Stoll says:

For those who don’t have the experience, let me tell you, Frank was great. He had the greatest rifts on the cheapness that was the Mara’s coupled with the cocaine proclivities of the grandchildren. It was always funny funny stuff. And he made me look like an optimist (all things are relative)
              To the extent he’s still with us and did exile himself because the team won the Supe in ’07/’08, which I doubt, I actually respect that more than the so-called optimists on this site who checked out early because the season was so obviously over after KC. Guys like DEMO who have forever patrolled this board with insults and arrogance for anyone who deigned to view the yearly prospects other than he, just picked up and left because they couldn’t spin their schtick this year due to the junk that is the 2013 edition of the Giants.

So Frank, if you are still out there, know there is one G101 poster who misses you and would welcome you back with no questions asked.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Well said Jim, and for the record, I finally started posting after years of just watching you guys because of some of your comedic rants.

2.  James Stoll says:

In theme with the Poor Eli thread, I will say this: Eli is perhaps the most enigmatic QB in the league.
    First of all from what a fan can tell from merely watching, listening and reading, Eli is a good guy, a good human being; someone who will never embarrass the team with off-field antics or any other disreputable behavior. He will also forever be loyal to the team and will do almost whatever is asked by the team. So you have to love the guy as a person. And I’ve always liked being able to root for players who I think are decent human beings. No Ray Lewis’ , thank you very much.

And there is no question Eli can and has played very well at times, especially in very big situations (the biggest of all twice and against the best of all — Bill and Tom).
    That said, he plays poorly an awful lot. Much more so than his contemporaries who are considered to be the cream of the crop. His brother, Brady, Rogers, Brees are all so much more consistently good.

What I’d like to see is whether that’s just Eli — a streaky player — or if it is the offensive system that he’s in coupled with the fact that he’s never had a truly great offensive line.

I lean towards it being the system, which is why I HATE HATE HATE Coughlin and Gilbride so much, especially Gilbride. That’s why I keep screaming, praying, crying for a coaching change, so we have a chance to see before Eli’s career is over.
    But it is looking like that will never happen.
    Right now it looks like Coughlin will be back next season, which means Gilbride too, and the same offensive system (on the latter point I think we can all agree that the coaches will never change their coaching philosophy). I am assuming if TC is not fired or retired at the end of this season, he gets at least a 1 year extension which, at a minimum, takes us to the end of Eli’s current contract.
    Suddenly, Eli is 34 coming off a 17MM per year contract. He will have played 2 additional seasons after this with potentially the same offensive line mess as this year. If you take that with the Gilbride system, it really sets Eli up for failure.
    So you could be looking into 2014/2015/2016 with Eli experiencing multiple down years and the 2 super bowls fading memories.
    Thus, I fear Eli will never get the opportunity to showcase his abilities outside the flawed Gilbride system.

•  LUZZ says:

Everything you said about Eli is fair. He does have stretches of very poor play, I too lean toward it being the system.

I will also add the Gilbride’s system is also enigmatic. At times it’s worked beautifully and at times it generates complete option route disasters that blow up the whole game. There’s no doubting that our ’08 passing game was fantastic, then **** shot himself. Also, our entire 2011 passing game was practically unstoppable. It really is a head scratcher at times. As far as this year goes though, I just can’t really take any more of it.

•  James Stoll says:

The thing about 2011, was the astounding amount of long pass plays. So much of that was a healthy Nicks, Cruz coming out of nowhere, and a very dangerous third receiver in Manningham. Still, we often could not score to save our lives, hence 9-7.

It really has to be Gilbride and his stupid offense to a large degree. As great as Tom Brady is, he is constantly working with sub-standard receivers and mediocre running backs. He has a great line and a system that feasts on quick underneath timing reads until the defense is forced to sell out.

We on the other hand have the 7 second developing pass plays, whether the routes are 4 yards downfield or forty

•  LUZZ says:

I know, I hate that. It’s like Gilbride has Mike Martz syndrome sometimes, everything is a 7 step drop and long developing routes.

He implemented a very effective short passing game in the 07 playoffs that worked great. Why he can’t go back to that I have no idea.

3.  Nosh.0 says:

And where are the 2 Muslim dudes that seemed to be new this year. Those guys are good. But they’ve only been MIA since the Dallas game, which is understandable.

First, NM-GIANT, post because there’s no reason to be shy. Most of the regulars have no idea what we’re talking about anyway! It’s all opinions. Some just happen to be more consistently better than others, but all are welcomed.

Second, I think Frank K. was last heard from walking down an Upstate New York country road muttering something about “he was in the grasp and what the hell is a helmet catch anyway?” and couldn’t recover his equilibrium quickly enough to be socked away in the special wing of McLean’s along with all the Pats’ fans and media folk who were unable to contain their disbelief and had psychotic episodes as a result.

that’s to avoid being socked away…..

•  NM-GIANT says:

See, Most in here have already made my point, Your the only one that has responded to any of my posts, and the last post i made was awhile ago and it was you and you only that responded. That’s my point! if you all want more participation then start a conversation with others outside of the G101 fraternity and invite peeps to come out and play. Poor NM-GIANT……LOL

5.  Nosh.0 says:

I think what the site is really lacking is the Sean Carroll $25 gas card giveaways! I liked those contests, even though I never won. Which is total BS by the way.

•  NM-GIANT says:

I remember one time when i was in bandcamp…… JK, Anyways yes the contests were cool and I specifically remember getting into it with SIMON about a contest Dan was running with Domino’s pizza LOL, at the time he was a writer here and haven’t seen any articles written by him, anyways he never spoke with me after that. Bring back the Dominos pizza gift cards. HAHA!

As for me, I may be “old” to many of you, but I’m good. Really good. You should be so lucky to get to my age and have had as much good fortune. I wish it on each of you.

•  LUZZ says:

Just kidding with you. I hope to make it to become an old man. Unfortunately, longevity does not run in my family. So ur right, I will be lucky to get to your age.

•  NM-GIANT says:

FF55, Your so damn old………… you fart dust!! HAHA. Sorry Had too!!

7.  skinnydoogan says:

Anyone who was “run off” for differing opinions should probably not be posting here anyhow. Last time I checked we live in a country with freedom of speech.

•  LUZZ says:

In my mind calling our Super Bowl runs lucky is the equal to yelling fire in a crowded restaurant, so freedom of speech doesn’t apply.

•  James Stoll says:

Luzz. I don’t get your view on that. I’m the guy who always calls those runs lucky.
        And what I mean by that is we spent most of each season playing .500 ball, getting blown away in occasion, and just generally looking like a mediocre team –the lowest seed or the worst regular season record, and then suddenly we hit the playoffs and played great. None of the individual playoff games were the product of luck; but the flipping of the switch as it were was lucky.
        You can’t convince me it was by design or the product of good coaching. And it’s not like key players were injured during the middle of the season who suddenly got healthy towards the end.
        That’s why I call it lucky. And that’s why it didn’t work in ’06, ’09, ’10, ’12.

•  LUZZ says:

The scenario of playing decent football then getting hot in the playoffs and winning a championship is actually the formula that works in today’s NFL. ’07 giants, ’08 packers, 2011 giants, 2012 ravens all got hot at the right time. None of these teams were dominant, but these are your super bowl champions, and this your NFL today.

•  LUZZ says:

Point is I would rather be 9-7 and white hot entering the playoffs than i would be 13-3 and having played my best football in October. because that is what has been happening in today’s league.

•  James Stoll says:

The Pack actually lost Rodgers for a few games I believe
            The Ravens were luckier than us with that silly hail Mary against Denver
            But just becus a couple of other team’s got lucky doesn’t mean we didn’t too
            We just have never been a truly Goidelic team under Coughlin despite all the talent
            Less with more as I always say

8.  James Stoll says:

In terms of AWOL posters sorely missed, count Charles, Norm, TheOriginalGiantsFan, and DEMO. Also, other than Dan, none of the writers actually chime in any longer after they post a thread.
    I’ve often mused aloud whether this Board can survive a truly horrific season. Well, we are there now and it’s an open question in my mind.
    We’ll have to wait and see what the off-season brings. Regardless of whether Coughlin & Crew return, will turning the page on 2013 entice the old regulars to return?
    Time will tell.

9.  LUZZ says:

I’m sure most of the regulars mentioned today still read on a regular basis. Why am I sure? Because this remains the single best place for Giants news anywhere in the world. Between the writers, Dan, the posters, this is the place to go to understand what’s going on within the giants organization. Since all these guys/gals are huge fans of the giants, I’m almost sure they still read.

10.  NM-GIANT says:

Poor Eli, The team has taken on his personality, the “aw shucks”or “we gotta play better football” blah blah blah is exactly what this team has turned into, a bunch of “stay-puff marshmellow Giants”. Eli needs to turn into the leader his bro is plain and simple. I know the evil eli is out there somewhere. Where out thou Evil Eli?

•  skinnydoogan says:

He doesn’t have that in him. Peyton is another kind of animal altogether.

•  NM-GIANT says:

SDOOgan, HA, He most certainly does, I mean his older bro is Peyton **** Manning how come the nuts didn’t fall far from the tree like they were supposed too. I know the Evil Eli is out there somewhere, we just have to help him find his nuts. LOL. Anyways I am fully aware of his demeanor, but damn I wish he would show some sort of passion when his receivers run the wrong routes or no one blocks for him. Let us pray for the Evil ELI.