December 13th, 2013 at 11:00 AM

'Jason Pierre-Paul' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, still rehabbing a lingering shoulder injury, was merely a spectator at Thursday's practice. He sat quietly on a stationary bike along the sideline watching his teammates on the field, perhaps pondering his own immediate future. But as he's said multiple times in the recent past, practice or no practice, he has absolutely no intention of shutting it down for the season.

"I’m never going to shut it down. If I could go, I’m going to go. There’s no point in shutting it down. If I could help my team win football games, that’s what I’m going to do. It’s bad enough I missed two games already," Pierre-Paul said on Thursday. "It sucks just watching your teammates play without you, but it’s part of the game. You never know when you’re going to get hurt."

Both JPP and head coach Tom Coughlin have maintained that the defensive end will play again this season, but as games begin to whittle down, it's looking less and less likely. And after missing practice on Thursday, chances are remote that JPP plays this Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks.

Still, he insists that going on season-ending Injured Reserve (IR) is a non-option.

"Your team is out there sacrificing, practicing every day. You just want to be a part of that, period. That’s the value right there, do it for your brothers," he added. "I’m not doing it for me, I’m still part of the team and still coming in and going to work and getting rehab done and trying to do everything to take care of this situation to be out there with my teammates."

Although an admirable attitude, if JPP is unable to play again this season, the appropriate team-first move would be to shut it down and let someone else get some experience.

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Seattle, Seattle Seahawks, Tom Coughlin

8 Responses to “New York Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul Misses Another Practice; Still Has No Plans to Shut It Down”

1.  kujo says:

Just to be clear of three things:

1) Jim Stoll is a no good, ungrateful, miserable ****.

2) Jim Stoll has single-handedly driven off no less than 6 mainstay posters on this webpage.

3) Giants 101 becomes a better place the moment Dan hits Stollgina with a lifetime ban.

Luzz – my point is not that having a backup QB wouldn’t help you win games but that it’s not important in terms of winning championships. Nassib or any backup we have is not going to win playoff games. So while it would be nice if Nassib were good right now it doesn’t matter. It’s more important to get Eli right. Probably because Nassib was a 4th rounder he’s the backup next year anyways if he shows anything.

Chicago has a backup that no one thought was any good suddenly turn into Rich Gannon. Plus the whole strength of having Eli compared to Rodgers or a Big Ben is that Eli plays every game, every week. It’s part of what should be expected.

If we want to play Nassib in a decided game then that’s fine. Or if Eli is getting hit a ton like the Carolina game. But I don’t think you gain much by playing Nassib. And sometimes even if you thought they could play, they can’t see Matt Flynn.

•  LUZZ says:

Green Bay had a 5-2 start, then Rodgers went down. They had absolutely nada behind him. Now he’s just about healthy but they likely won’t make they playoffs. In this case, their role of the dice of not having a back-up ready might very well have cost them a chance at a ring, so I still disagree with your point.

I get what ur saying though, we need to get Eli right, and he’s not right so I guess he needs the time out there too.

Lets table this topic till next season. If we’re in a spot where Nassib is forced to start a game or two, and those are his first live NFL regular season snaps, I think we’re all going to be wondering why the heck didn’t we let him break his cherry last season when our last 3 games meant crap.

•  LUZZ says:

Roll of the dice

Rodgers is not Eli in terms of health. Rodgers has been hurt in the past and Eli hasn’t been. To me when the colts suffered without Peyton when he got hurt it was a good bet because he never got hurt. I don’t think GB ever had a chance at a ring with their defense.

Our team is just Eli or bust. I can live with that. NO has no backup either, they just have been injury fortunate. I think when your QB hasn’t been durable it’s a bad bet but when it’s been almost a decade since your QB missed a game I think it’s a fair bet.

I don’t believe Nassib playing in these games will make him that much better of a QB, it’s just gives us the fans and maybe the coaches more faith.

•  LUZZ says:

Young QBs get better with reps

I also don’t buy into the “Eli will never get hurt” theory

We’re on different sides of this debate, it’s fine. In the end ur likely correct, since I suspect TC agrees with you and Nassib probably has as much of a chance of playing in these last 3 games as I do.