New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin Expects Maximum Effort Over Remaining Three Weeks

December 10th, 2013 at 1:00 PM

New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin doesn't believe in quitting. It's for that reason he's going to approach Big Blue's final three games just as he would approach any others: the goal is to win, while improving in all three phases of the game.

What happens over the final three games, Coughlin admits, will shape any potential changes to the franchise. Who stays? Who goes? Who gets the inside track on more playing time next year? All of that will be impacted based on how well the team performs against the Seattle Seahawks, Detroit Lions and Washington Redskins.

"You obviously go as hard as you can each week and then you assess the season when the season is over, so each one of these games is a critical game for us," Coughlin said on Monday. "It’s a critical game for our team, for our franchise, for all of us and so we certainly will throw everything we have into these individual games and then we’ll assess the entire season when the time comes."

Still, Coughlin doesn't want his team to distance themselves from reality. They're out of the playoff hunt earlier than they have been since 2004, but that doesn't mean it's time to pack it in. Yes, they have little to play for in terms of standings; and yes, the games themselves are meaningless. But how the players react and the pride they take in their jobs is still quite meaningful, and that's a message Coughlin demands his players hear.

"As I’ve tried to say many, many times in the past, we have to deal with reality, too," he added. "The truth of the matter is we’ve got to apply ourselves and hope again, I’ve used the word 'respect,' that we can gain and earn some of the respect back by virtue of how we play in these last three games and that’s all we can possibly think about right now."

If nothing else, the Giants certainly could earn a ton of respect (and cause a ton of heartache) by defeating the Seattle Seahawks, who are arguably the best all-around team in the NFL, this coming Sunday.

Photo credit: Football Schedule / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Seattle, Seattle Seahawks, Tom Coughlin

61 Responses to “New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin Expects Maximum Effort Over Remaining Three Weeks”

1 2 3
  1.  LUZZ says:

I would really like to see Nassib get the 3rd and 4th quarters of our last 2 games. These could be valuable reps toward developing him, as well as give he and the coaches 4 quarters of live NFL action to break down and learn from through the offseason.

This would not be a slap in the face to Eli. It might just be the only time we ever get to evaluate our 4th round pick in real NFL action. You can’t tell me he’s that far from being ready, rookie QBs are playing these days.

2.  kujo says:

Well, speaking as one of the “departed” members of G101, I say a resounding f*** you to anyone who interprets my intermittent absences to that of being a “fair weather fan.” Who the hell do you think you are to indict me or any of the denizens of G101 for not wanting to stick around and listen to The Passion of the Stoll or Stu Goes Off His Meds 2: Electric Bugaloo? I mean, did ya’ll read FF55′s suggestion that we should make a play to TRADE FOR ANDREW F’N LUCK?! Why would I, or anyone, want to be here for that?

As Dirt once said, I bleed blue and my balls are blue, so anyone who doubts my dedication to this team can sit on a pineapple for all I care. But let it be known that myself and a LARGE contingency of others–people who used to spends HOURS AND HOURS commenting on articles and discussion pieces–have found the tone and tenor of this board unenjoyable for the better part of the last year and a half.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

If you’re replying about my post about the “fair weather fans” it wasn’t directed at any posters. It was mainly directed at those people who DON”T post and come to the site to read the articles and our comments.

These are the people that are slowing down the traffic of the site, and also been emailing him about our comments.

So apologizes if you misinterpreted what I wrote about “fair weathered fans”, i know you’re loyalty and love to this team.

See, if you’re not around you’re not careful. What I said was that if we hired David Shaw, and if the Colts did not surround Luck with talent, then perhaps he’d be interested when his free agency came up which would be in the twilight of Eli’s career (3 more years on his rookie contract followed by a franchise year, so in 2018).

So get outta my grill!!

I can’t say that the tenor hasn’t been troublesome, but the way to deal with that is to do the hard thing and keep fighting for rationality and good analysis. Can’t let the bad drive out the good.

3.  rlhjr says:

REPOST:
    FF55 I agree. And at the start of this season, I was thinking that most of the youngsters would blossom at OL and TE positions. I also thought that JPP would be recovered.

It was my “optimistic” position that the Giants would take a step back this season but bolstered by a strong draft by Reese and maturation of some second/third year players the team could “reload” and compete in 2014.

But the more you look around the league and see what works, you have to realize that in order to win you must pack a defense and that defense must be capable of attacking.

On offense, you must have a strong line and capable running backs (three to be exact) each of which can at least get in defenders way in not take them on fully.
    All of that will enable you to throw effectively.

I’ve come the conclusion that two years of rebuilding is required.
    But God knows the strategies for offense and especially defense must change.
    The only way to accomplish that is to rid the team of Gilbride and Fewell.
    If I had only one choice of who to 86, I would chose Fewell hands down.

4.  TuckThis says:

As long as Coughlin is here, Gilbride and Fewell will be here as well.
    I think we have one more year of this. Brace yourselves!

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i tend to disagree. TC sticks but as far as the others,I think Mara isn’t too pleased and wants a change.

5.  LUZZ says:

Also going back a few threads… I don’t mind negative posters, it’s been a very frustrating season. The problem and what frustrates me is that some want to take this season’s failure and use it erase and indict the last 7 years of this franchise. That’s insane to me and a discussion I don’t care to be involved in at all, so i dont. These past 7 years have been so much fun and delivered so much success in my eyes, that the constant theme that they were just dumb luck gets old for me. That crosses the line of intelligent debate and into nonsense.

The “lets blow the whole team up crowd and fire everyone from Reese to the ball boys” don’t frustrate me as much, I get it. It’s human nature to want to fire everyone and start over again. However, I don’t with this sentiment, JR has built championship rosters in the past and I believe he can do it again.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I agree that the problems will be addressed in the offseason. But I honestly find it hard to imagine that Mr. Mara is ok with letting this go on another year. And i think that some of the coaches, not all of them, will be held accountable.

Isn’t there some sort of Facebook alternative that several of the posters have migrated over to? Maybe that’s where a lot of the traffic has gone?

•  kujo says:

Yup. Me, Demo, Samard, KingAndrew, Kyle, Sean Carroll, Remy, Hazem, NJm0m, Jen Polashock, Anthony Raia, etc. Of course, some of those guys and gals still comment, some haven’t commented in a long time. But what binds us is that, uniformly, we have all been turned off by a lot of the discourse on here. Now, most of my decline has more to do with scheduling than anything else–turns out being a middle school teacher is more time-consuming that managing a restaurant or cutting meat in a freezer.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i’m not on facebook, which is why i still post here.

•  kujo says:

BTW, we’ve given some thought to adding FF55 to the discussion, but he just doesn’t ever seem to get around to accepting my friend request on FB :)

•  Krow says:

Clearly that’s a big part of the problem though. You’ve … group you, not you personally … have divided the site. Not saying it’s not well within your right to do it … but you can’t deny the effect.

•  kujo says:

We didn’t “divide” anything. We’ve all been talking on Facebook, and text, for as long as we’ve been talking on G101. But after a while, the antics of a few of the perpetually downtrodden, combined with the infusion of some of the f*cktards from G101′s Facebook (which, as Dan alluded to earlier, is a den of thieves and lunatics) have made it so that we don’t really feel the need to be here.

•  Krow says:

I’ve always felt that people take things too seriously. It’s an Internet fan site. That’s catnip for people with crazy ideas. So are all the other various social media. I’m mean some people contend that the world is run by an alien lizard race. That’s what you get out here. Chill and have a cookie.

•  kujo says:

I get that. But it’s either enjoyable or it’s not. This season, for a variety of reason, has not been enjoyable. Perhaps next year will be better.

•  Krow says:

To each his/her own and all that … but unless it gets personally insulting whatever someone posts doesn’t get me upset. I don’t care if it’s crazy as hell … or if they rant on … in fact it’s often amusing. Maybe my standards are low, but eh … it’s all a lark.

7.  kujo says:

Eli Manning is the greatest tipper in the NFL according to these revealing interception statistics: Of Manning’s 164 career interceptions, 41 have come off passed that were tipped, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. That’s the highest such total in the NFL during his 10 seasons in the league. The runner-up is Drew Brees with 35 deflected interceptions. #nyg

8.  kujo says:

As an aside, G101′s Fantasy League is approaching the finish line, with myself and Demo squaring off in the semifinals in a match the will provide G101′s resident Butch Lesb|an with the sadomasochistic di|do whipping he’s pined for so desperately for the last half decade.

I think there’s a fair chance Fewell gets the boot. The Giants have a recent history of letting DCs go after a bad season. TC and Gilbride are joined at the hip. This leaves only Fewell to take the fall. Not saying it’s a sure thing … or even a fair thing … but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Where’s “Poor Eli” ??? The world waits.

1 2 3