December 10th, 2013 at 9:00 AM

'Jason Pierre-Paul' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ Now that the New York Giants have officially been eliminated from the playoffs, several decisions need to be made on key players such as defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (shoulder), running back Brandon Jacobs (knee) and cornerback Corey Webster (ankle). Does the team place them on season-ending injured reserve (IR) or do they attempt to get them some action over the remaining three games?

At least in the case of JPP, head coach Tom Coughlin said he was feeling better over the weekend and may return to practice this week. As for the others? That's still a bit up in the air.

"JPP feels better and as of last weekend, thought that this week he would be perhaps in a position where he might be able to practice and prepare himself to play. That’s the way the weekend was left," Coughlin said on Monday. "I don’t know anything different just now, but we will assess each one of those circumstances and I’m sure that the medical people will allow us to look at it if need be and make those kinds of decisions going forward."

Pierre-Paul has maintained that he has no desire to call it quits on the 2013 season, saying that shutting it down would be an easy out and a selfish move.

"Shutting it down is not in my category," JPP said last week. "Otherwise I would've shut it down when I got the injury, which was the Oakland game. That's not an option. You never know what might happen. But to shut it down when my team needs me badly? That's just very selfish of me, and I'm not a selfish player."

Meanwhile, Coughlin also assured last week that JPP would play again this season, so it would it appear he'll see at least a small role over the next three weeks. And with the team returning to practice on Wednesday, we'll likely get a better indication on where he is, as well as the respective statuses on Corey Webster and Brandon Jacobs.

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Brandon Jacobs, Corey Webster, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin

32 Responses to “New York Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul “Feels Better” and May Return to Practice This Week”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

Wasn’t it Goat who was knocking Chciago’s Tall, Physical Wide Receivers the other week? LOL!

anyway, Chicago did what we couldn’t do all year. And that’s go out there and smack the other team right in the mouth. They got the job done with a backup QB when the team needed it the most. Dallas really spoiled their chance.

Also, just goes to show you how bad of a team we are losing to Dallas twice. And i dont wanna hear the excuses about how many times the ball went off our fingers and into their hands the first game. We stunk. And we lost. it’s all history now.

•  rlhjr says:

Could not agree with you more BBG. And is Coughlin the ultimate idiot for not playing the youngsters now or what? TC really needs to remove his head form his neither regions. That decision is totally pitiful and is in keeping with a long list of questionable, if not insane choices made by him.

And catching up from the previous thread:
      “Anyone who knows anything about the Giants throughout history can relate to Cruz’s statements. Time and time again, Big Blue seems to play either up or down to the level of their opponents, and after a humiliating loss to the San Diego Chargers in Week 14, it would surprise precious few if they actually came out and blew the doors off the Seahawks.”

I know something of Giant history. But this much is certain, the outstanding defensive teams the Giants fielded during the mid to late 80′s would not break a sweat defeating this Seattle team. They had heart, spirit and most important of all, they had talented players.

Their Coughlin lead counterparts of today, are too stogy, and have both feet stuck firmly in the “BOX” scheme and philosophy wise to be much of a threat.

Face it; the Giant leadership is simply incapable of thinking outside the BOX.
      And until they open their eyes and minds, fans are doomed to the same old same old.

Some of our loveable optimists need to put the crack pipe down and lay off the hard liquor.

And just so you know, NOBODY loves this team as much as I do. But when I see BS I call it.

This team blows. And unless they upgrade there linebacking, offensive line and defensive ends they will continue to blow for the remainder of the decade.
      And tight end, corner and running back need to be looked at as well.

Poor Eli is right; I’d like to see Brady or Brese play behind this wonder of Swiss cheese some of you refer to as an offensive line. Yes they are “offensive” as defined by Webster’s; Causing resentful displeasure; highly irritating, angering, or annoying.

Much like the head coach, his coordinators and much of the coaching staff. Losers pure and simple.

2. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

It’s sad to me that so many people have been run off this site. The whole “This Team is a Joke & Everything is Glass Half Empty” gang really did a number.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

And before anyone says it, it’s not about ads. We’ve gotten more complaints over comments on the site than we have about the ads themselves. Go figure.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

They’re fair weathered fans. even though this team stinks and I personally publicly called them out on how bad they are, they doesn’t make me any less than a fan.

Most people don’t want to read about a team that is $hitting the bed week in and week out. Nor do they wanna read the comments from us die hards about how bad the state of the team is. So this isn’t all that surprising to me.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Soo…. Anyone who disagrees with you is a fair weather fan? That’s bad news for someone like myself who disagrees with 99% of what’s been posted on here recently.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I’m not saying that.

I’m saying that most people don’t want to read about a team that’s doing bad and their die hards are $hitting on them. It’;s not exactly hard to see why people don’t want to read about a team that’s going nowhere this year.

Just post your Poor Eli column. that would bring these guys back.

•  jahmyrr says:

You can never extinguish all the fires. I cant imagine any of this is new. I think the utter failure this team has bred this year has inflicted even the greatest and oldest of fans. Its making dealing with the negative all that much harder. Now that the season is over early for us (again), there is an overwhelming amount of frustration with the coaching, the players, and everything Giants.

There was no excuse for this team to have played as poorly as they have this year. Which means either the coaching failed completely. Or the players just dont care, which isnt something thats going to change over a pre-season. Most of us know the loyalty the FO has for its staff and fear TC will try it again with the same group of clowns next year. Only to see its fanbase cringing in the corner praying for another miracle SB run (or at this point any kind of playoff appearance).

Right now, most fans should be scratching their head in complete befuddlement at what weve witnessed this season. From top to bottom, there was complete breakdown, lack of passion, repeated lack of cohesion, and what seems just all round laziness. I pray to the football Gods, that the tree is shaken down to its roots and some DRASTIC changes are made. This team got too comfortable with one another and when people were let go, the team lost its spirit. Time to reawaken that spirit and get this team back on the right path.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

It’s not so much that it’s a fire, but more like a dumpster fire if the dumpster were the size of Texas. The over-the-top nonsense that’s been spewed here is IQ-draining. And while I completely understand the frustration, you’d think no Giants team has ever had a losing season before.

But the whole “Everything is the Fault of Eli, Coughlin and Reese” nonsense is overwhelmingly ridiculous.

•  JimStoll says:

Dan
        that is entirely unfair
        the reason no one is posting is because the team was bad from the outset and was effectively eliminated from the playoffs by week 4
        the only people who have kept the activity level up at all, for the most part, are the one’s you are now accusing of being so negative that all the presumably positive posters have checked out

right now there is nothing to root for, nothing to get excited about, nothing positive that can be said

and although you may not like to admit it, the prospect of Coughlin and his staff returning for an 11th campaign leaves little hope of any change

the combination of the lack of accomplishment this season when added to the annoying ads is enough to drive most people away

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

You’re free to disagree with me, and you can get angry with my statement all you like, but it’s no accusation if what I’m saying is backed by substance. Here’s just one example email from this morning:

“G101 has become a place soley for people to **** about how bad the following people are
          1) Tom Coughlin
          2) Jerry Reese
          3) Kevin Gilbride
          4) Perry Fewell
          5) Eli Manning
          6) John Mara
          No intelligent conversation just **** on the team top to bottom and anyone who thinks anything can be fixed. Who wants to contribute to that?”

Now, you’re all free to do every single one of those things listed above, but misery loves company. And let’s be honest…all that’s left around here is misery.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

actually, I think that there’s been plenty of wlell thought out conversations about what needs to be done, and what should be done.

And as a fan site, I don’t see anything wrong with us being pi$$ed off and upset at the ENTIRE organization for the play of the team this year. And ya know what? Changes should be made because people weren’t doing their jobs. Where i work, if you don’t do your job you get fired. And if people who read this site, can’t take what’s going on in the organization and what giant fans want done and what SHOULD bee done, then so be it.

Don’t cry over spilt milk. These people will be back when we win it all again in 3 years.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I don’t think it’s that, per say. I think it’s that if they disagree with anyone here, they are badly ganged up on and stuff gets out of hand. Too much tension with the team losing, and too many people taking this game way, way too seriously.

I don’t think a single person disagrees that SOME changes have to be made, however.

•  jahmyrr says:

To a small degree they are correct. The only thing that should be addressed (if its a serious problem) is people directing their comments at others on the board. Complain about the team all day, fine. But dont dump on those trying to have conversation.

On the flip side of that, that list is only partial of who is to blame for this disgusting season. Its hard to discuss fixing it when you have a fairly large consensus of necessary fixes. However, the team keeps stepping in the same doggie-doo pile over and over again. It makes it hard to discuss fixes rationally, when all you want to do is a literal facepalm and bury your Giants jerseys in disgrace (not literally on the Giants burial lol).

Intelligent conversation can resume shortly after the season and we get into full draft mode. Till then, there is going to be some bitterness. Especially with the Super Bowl around the corner to rub salt in the wound. It will get better, its just going to bottom out for a little while, while we pick up the pieces of our shattered egos.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Correct. You are dead on. It’s not the opinions, or even the over-the-top comments, it’s the nastiness that is involved when someone disagrees.

It’s no surprise fans are mad and frustrated. And it’s no surprise that has turned into some hostile comments. I think everyone can relate and accept that…until it gets to become a bar gang mentality. Then it really takes away from things.

This place is FULL of people with varying opinions who have a tremendously high football IQ. Perhaps more than any other football site anywhere. The problem is, high IQs walk a fine line with insanity and the losing season has pushed some over the edge. lol

•  BigBlueGiant says:

+1 Jim.

•  jfunk says:

I for one am still here. My lack of posting is entirely due to time constraints. Work has been a bear and I’m still new at this whole parenting thing so spare time is a scarcity. Still managing to read 90% of the content though.

For the record, my opinion is this team is not as far away as people believe. They ARE as bad right now as people believe, but fixing it isn’t so many years away. Simply fixing the offensive line will immediately return this team to the level it’s been for most of the past decade, specifically: competitive and a hot game from Eli away from being able to beat any team in the league. We have more work to do to be better than that, but fixing the interior line alone will get us back to that point.

That being said, Dan please don’t dismiss the effect of the ads. I’ve never complained once, but this is hands down the most ad-impacted site I visit on the internet.

It’s almost completely unusable on my phone now (seriously…false malware “scare ads” ARE malware…any partner that has them in their pool is a criminal organization IMO and you shouldn’t be doing business with them) and I resorted to turning on Ad-Block on my desktops a while ago because it was just too cumbersome to deal with otherwise (apologies to the revenue stream, and I really mean that).

Theoretically, you are paying professionals to implement your ad streams. Tell them to do their f’ing jobs or find other partners. It’s ridiculous to assume your end users should be capable of filing proper problem reports on a system they lack even rudimentary understanding of.

You want to know how they can see the problems? Try using the site from a vanilla browser for more than 5 minutes. That’s all. They’re not hiding anywhere.

3. Dan BentonDan Benton says:

I guess I’m just not sure the entire sky is falling like some folks around here. I’m not of the mindset “blow the entire organization up and rebuild from top to bottom because we didn’t have a non-losing season for the first time since 2004.”

The reality is that we’ve all gotten spoiled. Badly. And people can dive into their “this has been a mediocre team” tirades all they want, but the last 10 years has been one of the greatest stretches in team history. So now that we’re on the other end of it, people are pinning their ears back and completely losing their ****.

I may not disagree with all of it, but to say some of the comments and suggestions aren’t absurdly over-the-top would be a lie.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

We were spoiled with two superbowls. One during a 9-7 season. A lot of mediocre and bad play in before and in between. Now i’m not taking the two SB’s in 7 years away from them, as they were both amazing runs. But let’s be honest. The team hasn’t been good now for 2 years. And their record shows it. I saw this coming in the preseason as it looked gloom. As others remained optimistic, I was merely warning people to not get too excited. And I believe after a preseason game you attended, said the same thing on this board.

This is a franchise that embarks on history and pride. And us fans are disappointed in what has gone on since that SB win in 2011. Between bad drafts, injuries, finding “plug in” players, “potential” prospects, and everything else in between there is something to be said about what happened since 2011. And as an organization that prides itself on success, they simply can’t let this go any further next season.

This is the main reason why we’re all upset here. And we have every right to be. So if these other people reading the site don’t want to hear what our suggestions should be, then let them go elsewhere. There is NO OTHER Site on the internet that has more insightful, knowledgeable and well thought out NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANT FANS IN THE ENTIRE WORLD than we have here on G101.

You should pride yourself on what you created here, Dan. Those Fair weathered fans will be back. I promise.

•  jahmyrr says:

Well what you are saying now is totally different from people abandoning ship.

Not to poke the bear, but you are kind of in a “sky is falling” state saying people were fleeing your site because of the naysayers.

Saying blow up the team and start over, is a discussion about a fix. Its one option of many. Just because its over the top and many wouldnt agree, doesnt mean its not open for debate. That shouldnt have any impact on you staying or going from a site.

I firmly agree that there should be a zero tolerance policy for blasting the writers or others comments. The team should be fair game for any and all blasting and kudos they earn.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Freedom of Speech.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Only difference is traffic, lack of comments and a flood of e-mails sort of back up my exodus theory. Still, that’s not my concern. My sole concern is the bullying. It’s gotten beyond vile and out of control in many instances, and has spilled over onto this site a bit.

On Thanksgiving I wrote a story about Hakeem Nicks (can’t remember what exactly), which led to a reader e-mailing me privately, telling me I should do my family a favor and kill myself. So, yeah… Things have gotten a bit out of control.

•  jahmyrr says:

Welcome to the internet…. Its not the same playground we grew up in. Look at the comments section of ESPN, CNN, etc. Its chalk full of clowns looking for nothing but a chance to try out their new slurs and insults the first chance they get. Its sad, it really is. However, there is nothing you can do about it beyond staying away. You can do your best to moderate the comments. Unfortunately there is always going to be the bad apple to spoil the bunch.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I mean, that’s just ridiculous that someone would take the time to email you that. But don’t take it to heart, dude.

And personally, when people have a discussion there will be some banter back and forth on here. Some posters just have a bullying style of expressing their arguments. I mean, i’ve been in some heated exchanges on here, but it;s all in good fun. It’s a SPORTS BLOG. If people can’t take some heat about what they express then they shouldn’t be posting or reading these comments.

It’s all in good fun, even in a heated argument. I don’t take any threats over email, or a message board seriously. and I dont think anyone else here should either.

4.  rlhjr says:

Much respect for you Dan, but no man. Those who left did so because they could not deal the truth. Way too many third of 4 shotgun draw play’s.
    And maybe they were fair weather because they could not bear the embarrassment at work on in public. The less than faithful will slowly peel away. They most likely never knew about the 70′s and early 80′s.
    If you can love a team through that period in history, you can say for a fact that you love the team.

Pollyanna just doesn’t cut it at this stage. These are football savy people simply expressing displeasure and disgust with losing. Perhaps spoiled from past success? Maybe, but when you look at the situation intelligently you cannot help but to see massive failure by GM and coaching. It is what it is.
    And yes this franchise has been here before. We got Parcells and we thought Coughlin was going to work the same magic. Taking two super bowls within the five year time frame is excellent.

But the act is very stale now. Just like players, it’s better to get rid of a coach a year too early, than a year too late. I would love to keep him and his old school way of thinking for moral reasons. But if his coordinators are allowed to stay, I vote they all get flushed down the poop shoot.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

lol.

Is there any question in ANYONE who watched the NYG play think otherwise in a 3rd and 5 situation that the ‘Ol Gilbride Special being called?

It’s telepathic what we do. And that’s why I think KG should be canned.

5.  jb322 says:

Sorry to burst all your bubbles, but Dan is right. Its gotten pretty bad around here. I know EVERYONE is dissatisfied with this years’ team. but be real, the problems aren’t anything a couple of guards and a healthy 2011 Nicks wouldn’t solve. Throw in a healthy JPP or some other pass rusher and this team is in the chase for a ring. The worst thing we can do right now is blow everything up. Sometimes people just are not healthy or players are a year away. I mean did everybody actually think Philly was as bad as they looked last year? They got a stable quarterback with an extra year of xp and a couple of lineman back and all of a sudden things are clicking. This is the NFL folks, thats all it takes.