Scouting the Orange Bowl: Potential New York Giants Targets to Watch

December 9th, 2013 at 1:15 PM
By Anthony Raia

This year’s BCS bowl games will be filled with potential players that can help the New York Giants. The first bowl that we break down will be the Orange Bowl, which takes place Friday, January 3rd at 8:00 PM EST.

The Giants will likely be looking to fill holes at linebacker, offensive line and cornerback to name a few. The below players could be players the New York Giants target in this April’s NFL Draft.

Ryan Shazier, OLB, Ohio State

Projected Round: 1-2

One of the top OLB prospects in the draft, Ryan Shazier was one of the few bright spots in a disappointing Big Ten title game for Ohio State. Shazier led the team in tackles with 12, and blocked a punt to briefly change the momentum. Known for playing the game with reckless abandon, Shazier has been stout in run support using his explosiveness to power off of blocks. His athletic ability allows him to drop into a zone and occasionally cover wide receivers as well as tight ends. Shazier would be an excellent fit in a linebacker core that lacks athleticism, and if John Beason returns the Giants could have two tackling machines in the group.

Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State

Projected Round: 1-2

Another outstanding athlete in a weak Ohio State defense, Bradley Roby came into the year as one of the best cornerback prospects in the country. He failed to live up to the hype, with poor showings against some of the better wide receivers in the country. He could make up for that if Urban Meyer decides to put him on Sammy Watkins in the Orange Bowl. Roby has the athleticism and speed to stay with Watkins and the strength to overpower him at the line of scrimmage. Teams considering Roby have to decide whether the poor performances were aberrations and a product of being on a weak defensive team or a lack of skills. His lapses in coverage may not make him a number one corner in the league, but he could be a very solid number two. For what he has lacked in coverage this year, he has more than made up in run support. Roby’s willingness to make tackles and his mental toughness could make him a viable number two corner if NFL coaching can improve his coverage mishaps. Performing his best in bump and run coverage, it doesn’t look like he would fit into Perry Fewell’s scheme.

Brandon Thomas, G/T, Clemson

Projected Round: 6-7

Clemson’s Brandon Thomas came into the year on offensive line award watch lists and was poised to have big season. Thomas was a big part of Clemson averaging over 40 points per game and over 500 yards of offense. Thomas landed on the second team All ACC, rightfully so behind Florida State’s Tre Jackson and Georgia Tech’s Shaq Mason. He also did a good job in helping keeping Jadeveon Clowney in check, albeit with help from a tight end. Thomas is probably a guard/tackle tweener at the NFL level and needs to work on some footwork issues. He would be a project and not an immediate help, but there is potential to make an impact at the next level.

photo credit: Ed from Ohio via photopin cc

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Bradley Roby, Brandon Thomas, Clemson, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ohio State, Ryan Shazier

94 Responses to “Scouting the Orange Bowl: Potential New York Giants Targets to Watch”

1 2 3

Nice piece. And we definitely should be looking at the draft.

And for those who think the fans won’t turn on this team if they are getting killed against Seattle (which doesn’t happen ONLY if the Seahawks are emotionally spent from that tough loss yesterday), I think you’re wrong.

We should have a protective order on Eli’s behalf for the next two games. The Seattle and Detroit front sevens may kill him.

I think Seattle losing hurt our chances of surprising them. They would have been just about clinched with a win yesterday and our game didn’t mean much. Now they need a win to get close to clinching.

I do think this game will show where we are talent wise. This team has showed heart for the most part. I think we will have a good effort after the SD game. The question is how competitive are we with a good/great effort against a motivated, extremely talented Seattle team.

Funny I can see plenty of targets in this game but those are the ones that I think off. Watkins clearly has to be a target. He may be gone before we pick but we can clearly use some speed at WR. I’m a fan of Lee but Watkins is elite too. Beasley for Clemson would probably only be a target if we changed to a 3-4. But he has elite pass rush skills. Hyde to OSU RB in the 2nd-3rd round area could be very appealing. With Wilson and Brown both questions to return we could look at RB. Also OSU has some mid round WRs.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Funny, we both like Hyde. But you have him WAYYYYYYYYY too high. Don’t think he’ll go in the 2nd-3rd round range. 5th-7th.

3.  Chad Eldred says:

From the last thread, Krow was on the money by dispelling the “well coached” myth. The Tom Coughlin disciplinarian schtick is seems to be selective. You cannot be less than five minutes early for a meeting, yet getting delay of game penalties or wasting time outs because we diddle around in the huddle is just business as usual. Again, I go back to rigidity and stubbornness. This won’t change, because the coaches will not modify their behavior to make improvements.

If any of you are familiar with Lean/Six Sigma, there is something called Kaizen. Kaizen, roughly translated, means improvement or change for the better. In business Kaizen is a strategy of continuous improvement. Kaizen embraces the belief that nothing is perfect and we can always make things better. In fact, you MUST be constantly improving, because if you don’t, your competition will catch up and surpass you. There has be no Kaizen in this franchise for some time now. Status quo rules the day. The same problems that this team has had since Coughlin came on board will continue to plague this team moving forward. Coughlin”s response will be “this is how we do business.” Guess what Tom? Your business model is outdated. It’s time to change and adapt or move the F@#$ on.

4.  Nosh.0 says:

I’m basically with Goat. I think TC and company have probably earned another year, but I also wouldn’t be upset if they weren’t brought back. We see time and time again in this league that adding the “right” new coach can invigorate a roster that once looked inept. Philly, KC, San Diego are all 2013 examples. San Fran being an earlier example.

To me what’s most interesting about TC, and Eli too, is the unique nature of their resumes. 2 SB’s in 4 seasons. Yet 1 post season appearance in the last 5 years. I’m curious if there is another coach/QB pair with this type of resume.

The good news is that if TC does return next year it will be with the understanding playoffs or your job.

•  Chad Eldred says:

I don’t think anyone realistically thinks that this group won’t be back, unless they choose not to be. The only token firing we may see is Quinn if there are a couple more ST debacles before the year is over. This year will be hung on the players. And I suppose rightly so. Two Super Bowls gets you a pass for a season or two. Truthfully we could come back again next year and go 7-9 and I would still put the odds of Coughlin being kept at 75%.

I disagree. I think JR put everyone on notice like he hadn’t before the year. I think all assistance are in heavy question. TC is probably safe but not totally immune. I could see him stepping down because the Giants refusing extend him. You can a lot of slack for two SBs IMO and that’s well deserved. But now the slack is about used up. At 8-8 everyone or mostly everyone was safe but at 6-10 no one is safe. Also you can’t forget that TC is the oldest NFL head coach by far so it’s way different than a Tomlin situation.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah I think people are overestimating the amount of slack this coaching staff has. I think they will be brought back next season, but if this team goes 8-8 in 2014 and misses the playoffs, there is no way they get to come back in 2015.

If TC and co. are back next season, it’s definitely a show and prove year. His seat will be very hot.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

8-8? We’re not going 8-8. Not with Seattle and Detroit playing for playoff position.

6-10.

And some coaches 100% get fired.

•  BleedingBlueSince04 says:

I hope we go 5-11. And gilbride gets canned .
              Eli had his best year by far when mike Sullivan was his qb coach .
              Now he’s OC in Tampa wouldn’t mind hiring him if he’s available

•  True2BigBlue says:

T.C., Flaherty, Ingram, Pope, Giunta, and Merritt can stay. Fire Gilbride, Fewell, Quinn, Lil Kevin, and everyone else!

•  BigBlueGiant says:

goat, i can sit here today, and honestly tell you that I think that there will 100% be some changes on the coaching staff.

If not EVERYONE wiped out, they will fire Gilbride for a horrendous offensive season.

Remember when you FF55 and some others were talking top 3 offenses in the league? This team certainly had the personal to do so. Right? So if Mara or JR want things turned around, you start by firing Gilbride. The offense was UNACCEPTABLE this year. And the finger is pointed at him.

Quinn is also gone.

I think fewell and TC keep their jobs.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

How have they earned another year?

Giants were predicted to win the NFC East. We are bottom of the barrell with one of THE WORST OFFENSES IN THE NFL and the defense isn’t much better (much due to the offense).

5.  Chad Eldred says:

Regarding this piece I’m going to be very interested to see where Roby grades as the draft approaches. I’m inclined to believe that he ends up going in the first round for several reasons. The first reason is the obvious; the premium placed on corners. Second, he is a talented athlete and some team will believe that they can coach him up to his potential. If they do he can be a very nice player at the NFL level.

The 3-4 OSU games I saw parts of this year Roby looked nowhere like a first rounder. He’s reminds me of the NC St CB that got drafted in the 2nd round by the redskins because he too was great in his soph year and sub par his last year. But both players are talented athletes. There were too many other CBs that were better than Roby IMO for him to still end up in the first unless he runs a really fast 40, say sub 4.4.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Roby is projected to go in the middle of the 1st. Kid is really good. But i’d be cautious. Read below on who I’d like to take if we go CB.

• Anthony Raiaaxr29 says:

Agreed on Roby. There were moments where he looked like one of the best corners in the country and times where he looked average. His athleticsm is off the charts, probably on the level Hosley’s was. Only he is a lot stronger.

If he is there round 2 I would absolutely take a chance on him

6.  BigBlueGiant says:

has Shazier delcared yet? I think he’s a 2nd rounder MAYBE late 1st rounder if his combine is good.

Roby is a great CB, but if we’re going to take a CB with the 1st pick, it should be Darqueeze Dennard from Michigan State. That kid can flat out play. Was VERY impressed with him.

Also, I think that Carlos Hyde (RB, Ohio State) might be a serviceable back in this league. He’s not worthy of an early round pick, but if he’s sitting there in the 5th- 7th rd, which he might be, he’d be a good pick. The kid is the kind of back that we like. Big, strong, and fast.

Completely agree on Dennard. He’s a true #1 corner and could allow Prince to eventually play the #2 role that is increasingly looking like his best position. He may be a “1A” corner but his learning curve hasn’t yet been steep enough to get to be a true #1 corner anytime soon.

I’d like that pick.

I don’t think he has declare yet. I think his combine is about speed as much as size. If he can weigh 235 and keep his athleticism, he will be taken in the first. He looks more like 225 now to me.

I like Dennard a lot better than Roby, a lot. MSU won by isolated their CB while their front focused on stopping the run. I like the Gilbert from OSU better because he played all types of passing attacks and WRs and still held up but Dennard can play.

I think Hyde is better than you’re giving credit to NFL wise. He reminds me of the Bama kid from last year. Physical RB with got speed and not a ton of wiggle. In the second round I would want him but I can see him going there if he runs a good time.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Trust me, I like Hyde A LOT. I think he’s the type of back that we like enough to draft. Size, speed, strength etc…

Maybe i’m wrong. But i see him being a later pick. I mean, Lamar Miller was touted in the 1st 2 years ago, and he fell to the 4th, and that was with a good combine. The RB class doesn’t look so strong this year so perhaps he might fall into the 2nd-4th rds. I just think we shouldn’t waste it on him in the 2nd. IMO.

7.  William says:

I read all the posts so far today and I’m shocked that this has not been brought up at all and its ramifications for the future…” William Beatty” is got to be the worst starting left tackle in the game today. That is not a fan based assesment just a fact based one. Yesterday he once again allowed some no name DE to abuse him on at least 4 occasions. He gets beat both inside and by outside bull rushes; this is a huge issue on many levels going forward. His play is horrid!!

My second observation that was left out was a sinle play on defense that personifies the problem with Fewell both in style, game planning and personnel. It also speaks volumes about TC because he allows this stuff week after week.
    example: It was in the first half and I think we were down 7-0 (maybe 10-0) and the Bolts were driving at our 40 or so, third down n long, definite passing down and time for a big stop by us. Out comes D. Moore in the joker role. At the snap on this crucial passing down we rush 3 only !!!!!!!! Moore drops off in coverage and ends up in no mans land…Rivers easily moves in the pocket creating time and finds an open receiver for the first and we are headed to 24-0.
    Thats PF in a nut shell and why he needs to go most of all. The rushing 3 with a real talent at QB is insane, as is taking a pass rushing rookie and dropping him into coverage. It really cant be more insanely stupid and TC should answer for it.
    If we as just fans see this what do you think the players are thinking???? Maybe thats why they come at “flat” because for another week they see we are using schemes that will get them embarrassed.

Beatty is not the worst LT in the NFL, not close but he’s been bad this year. He’s clearly struggled. We have to work with him. He was too good last year and we have too much invested in him to give up on him as our LT after one poor season.

I think Fewell has done a much better job this year of not using 3 man rushes. But I really really despise the 3 man pass rush as well.

I’m thinking the head coach in waiting idea makes sense here. But with the idea TC coaches no more than two more years. But that coach has to be an offensive coach because Eli is not going to change offense multiple times. I like Obrien from Penn St and Shaw from Stanford. Not sure how their contracts work but both have NFL experience and the temperament the Giants like in their coaches.

If we were going to replace TC with a former NFL coach I like Lovie Smith. He has a very similar NFL background to TC before he started here. Coaches that haven’t won SBs but have been successful are better than former SB winners. Remember no SB winner has won a SB for a second team. Not saying it has to be Smith but someone of his profile is better than the Cowher’s or Gruden’s of the world IMO.

So you’re coming around to what I’ve said for years. Except now I want no waiting. I want Coughlin gone. It almost certainly won’t happen, so my realistic desire is that we hire David Shaw to be offensive coordinator and designated successor in 2015 after TC gets his valedictory tour (I don’t care if they win the Super Bowl in 2014, which ain’t happening anyway, Coughlin needs to move on for this team to build back to a contender).

But if I were Mara I’d hire Shaw and start rebuilding.

No I’m not coming around to what you have said for years. I didn’t agree then based on what we had done as a football team. Gillbride IMO didn’t couldn’t justly be fired. Now he could be. So that opens up this option.

I’m undecided about TC returning in 2014 but If he’s not going to return in 2015 maybe it makes sense to change now.

Stanford has a ton of seniors so this might be the right time for Shaw and the right franchise. I think he ends up in the NFL eventually in part because his father never got a short. Besides the personalities it’s not that different than the Kiffins.

I think they could EASILY have justified firing Gilbride long ago. But Coughlin and he are joined at the hip. It’s Coughlin’s offense every bit as much as Gilbride’s. So they wouldn’t fire Gilbride because Coughlin wouldn’t do it and mara didn’t want to fire Tom, a decision I agree with but don’t going forward.

I’ve pumped for Shaw for a long time. He should be a terrific NFL coach (and has coached in the NFL before, just not as the Head Man) and will be loved by his players. Keep in mind that he was Luck’s coordinator. Sounds crazy but as Luck heads into free agency in a few years Eli should be winding down. If Indy doesn’t succeed in building around Luck over the next 2-3 years maybe there’s a play there if Shaw is coaching the Giants.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

agree. I’m not on the Cowher/ Gruden train at all.

•  nick86 says:

if watching perry fewells D makes you sick, just wait until lovie smith got a hold of it. Tampa 2 all day…goo! The only exception being that he had briggs and urlacher so it worked. It would be a disaster with this personnel.

•  Chad Eldred says:

It only really worked when he had Tommie Harris before his injuries. Urlacher and Briggs certainly didn’t hurt, but that D was a different animal when Tommie Harris was at his peak. Tampa 2 only works when you have a front four that can generate pressure, especially up the middle. Tampa had Sapp. Indy had success when Dungy was there because Freeney and Mathis could generate a pass rush and they happened to have a QB that could drop 30 on you pretty much any Sunday.

I think Lovie in the last few years in Chicago was very creative with his Tampa two and showed many different looks. He’s not Monte Kiffin. the thing is no matter the system the pass rush still has to improve. A heavy blitzing scheme will get beat if you can never get there with a 4 man rush.

9.  jerseyrich says:

For anyone who cares, the giants are currently drafting 12th. if they finish the season 6-10, which they should, its likely they’ll have a top 10 pick. 5-11 might get them to 5th. The rams, thanks to the rg3 trade, currently hold the 2nd pick….how disgusting is that?

•  Kettles78 says:

Imagine being a Redskin fan. Your team pooped the bed and you don’t even get a top 1st round pick for your pain

10.  Chad Eldred says:

I would love to see a changing of the guard as much as anyone, and sooner not later. However to those who would say I’m underestimating the slack that this coaching staff has, I would contend you are suffering from the myopia typical of any fan base. This is not a knee-jerk organization. I would love to be wrong on this one, I really would. I can do without 20 second huddles, rookies seeing no playing time, shotgun draws, incompetent special teams, soft coverages, etc, etc,

1 2 3