New York Giants LB Jon Beason: We Came Out Flat Against San Diego Chargers

December 9th, 2013 at 11:10 AM
By Doug Rush

With their very slim playoff hopes hanging on by a thread, the New York Giants came into Sunday afternoon's game against the San Diego Chargers and played about as poorly of a game and as flat of a game as a team could during a time where they needed to continue winning.

Yet, despite needing a victory in Week 14, the Giants fell short and ended up being destroyed by the Chargers 37-14 in a game that officially ended their chances of getting to the playoffs and will watch another team in the NFC represent the conference and have a shot of winning the Super Bowl in their own building this coming February at MetLife Stadium.

After the Giants blowout loss to San Diego on Sunday, starting middle linebacker Jon Beason kept it very simple as why the team didn't look sharp, much less competitive in their defeat as they came out flat and the results on the field followed.

“We came out flat,” Beason said. “The floodgates were open and it’s hard to come back. We played better in the second half than we did in the first half, but it just comes down to execution.”

In the first half of the game, the Giants simply could not get anything going on offense and were shut out on the scoreboard as they went into the locker room trailing 24-0. The Giants did manage to score their first touchdown of the game in the third quarter which cut the score to 24-7, but the Chargers responded effectively with another touchdown that put them up 31-7 and the Giants never got back into the game once falling behind that far behind.

Sharing Beason's thoughts was defensive end and captain Justin Tuck, who despite his two sack effort on Philip Rivers which put his season total to 8.5; felt that the team, still thought the Giants lacked enthusiasm and felt the entire game was frustrating to go through because of the loss.

“It was kind of frustrating [Sunday] to have to be questioning where out enthusiasm was,” Tuck said. “I thought we picked it up coming out for the second half and there was some good things there. But it still wasn’t enough.”

The Giants, now at 5-8, are basically playing for pride and looking to finish out the 2013 season hoping to avoid finishing under .500, which would be the first time that kind of season happened back in 2004, which was the first year in New York for head coach Tom Coughlin and quarterback Eli Manning. On Sunday, the Giants will face off against the 11-2 Seattle Seahawks at MetLife Stadium and considering Seattle is a potential Super Bowl favorite this year, the Giants chances of getting to .500 before the end of the season look even slimmer now.

photo credit: Rogueldr128 via photobucket

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Football, Jon Beason, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Diego Chargers

30 Responses to “New York Giants LB Jon Beason: We Came Out Flat Against San Diego Chargers”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

TC might still be our coach next season, but I’m not sure about Gilrbide and Fewell.

It seems pretty clear to me that the players can’t seem to handle an offense like this. And we might actually have the most predictable offense in the NFL. There’s zero creativity to guess defenses guessing. We all can pretty much play armchair QB’a on our couch and call what the offense is going to do. And given how bad our offense was this year, i think Gilrbide should be the first to go.

BBG -

I’m a Gillbride supporter and would keep him but I don’t think it’s unfair if he was let go. I look at the last 19 games our offense went from top 5 to bottom 10. There’s lots of reasons for that and much of it is not on Gillbride IMO. But I look at Rivers who had been sub par for a few years under another high level OC in Norv and him switching to a new voice this year he looks better than ever. Maybe Eli just needs a change. Some of that is a new coach is not worried about what worked before just what can work going forward. I don’t agree that Gilbride did a bad job this year with the way the players played but I can agree that maybe a new voice and direction is needed.

Fewell has done a quality job this year but I still don’t love his schemes. I do think he’s limited by personnel that doesn’t have a great pass rush of a depth of great cover guys. Fewell I think was more creative than he has been and did a good job for the most part of getting the most out of his talent. Had JPP just to play like JPP in 2011 or the first half of 2012 and Webster not been hurt basically all year Fewell could have done even better.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

It’s pretty obvious that our players are inept on learning Gilbride’s read routes. Why NO ADJUSTMENTS have been made for this is just beyond me. How many predictable Shotgun draws can one OC call? How many times can we watch WR’s run the wrong route and a replay showing Eli dumbfounded and pointing to where his receivers should be? It’s clear to me that it’s the system and place and the players just don’t understand it.

As for Fewell, you can’t blame him when the offense is the one that constantly buried this team the whole season. Putting the defense in bad spots with their constant and never ending turnovers. Fewell is bend, don’t break. Which is fine, if the offense works and puts up points. Clearly it’s not.

And Webster hasn’t been healthy since what? 2010? Last year was about his mysterious “hamstring” that some people on this site still claim he was out there with a hamstring that was torn off the bone ( which anatomically makes zero since since muscle isn’t attached to the bone, nonetheless he’d have a tough time walking let alone playing Football). But when he’s been on the field he’s been bad.

And as for our defensive savior, MR. One year wonder JPP, let’s not assume that he’s some miracle player here. Yeah injuries, blah blah blah… Tired of the excuses in all honesty. The kid had one good year here. And after this next season, he will demand A LOT of money based on one good year. He’s underwhelmed and quite frankly not even a top 5-8 DE in this league as of right now. $hit, may never be again.

2.  Ryan Richards says:

Why is this team so depressed??? And why are we still using pictures of Jon Beason in a Panthers uniform???

•  Chad Eldred says:

I think that there is an issue with what photos can be used free or without infringing on someone else. I don’t know for sure, I’m not a blogger. Whatever the reason, it is also why we have had to see the photo of Tuck and Fewell embracing about a thousand times too many.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Photo contracts cost $30K a year. So we use what is available to us at a lesser cost.

3.  skinnydoogan says:

If I am Jon Beason, not sure if I want to play for this team. This guy shows up to play, he actually deserves to play on a team where his efforts will bear some actual fruit.

Once that “don’t give a fuk” attitude creeps into a team it’s damn hard to root it out. Usually it takes some drastic measures by management to purge all the remnants of it before a team can start moving in a positive direction. Half-way solutions only prolong the process. But how did we get this way? How did we go from a hungry, nasty, confident bunch that no one wanted to play … to this gaggle of disengaged, uninterested pushovers that everyone fattens up on?

It seems to me that the first area to consider is simply the level of talent. As kujo often points out our drafts have yielded few results. I’d also add that our free agent signings have been very hit-and-miss as well. This includes players we’ve decided NOT to sign as well as those where we’ve invested precious cap dollars. The results are at best pedestrian.

The effect is to erode morale. The perception is that the team cannot recognize talent, and is also unwilling to pay for it. In a sense the Giants become a stepping stone to your next gig. Not exactly inspiring is it? If you add a bit of favoritism … Diehl … and dash of nepotism … $nee … you’re going to end up with a locker room steeped in malaise, which is just what we’ve got.

Then there’s the overall philosophy of the team. This is on the coaching staff. Do they foster a cohesive, hard-nosed, attacking brand of play? Are the players ready to lay it all on the line? Is the team committed to winning? Are they sharp … focused … in the moment? Do the best players take the field?

I see none of that. In fact it has all the elements of the 1970’s “good old boys club”. For those of you too young to remember it was a time when the NFL was changing radically … and we clung to the past … ushering in 15 years of ineptitude.

We have covered well most of the year considering the light pass rush we have gotten most weeks. But McBribe is just a band aid. Maybe Hosley is a solution but it’s clear we don’t know yet. And Thomas sometimes his speed is an issue. To me it we need a CB going forward badly. Prince is a quality CB but there’s question to whether he can be a top tier CB. I think now what we have to expect (though hope he’s becomes better) is that Prince will be a lot like Webster was in his prime. A very good CB capable of covering #1 WR but not a CB that’s going to take away a #1 WR on his own.

It seems the draft value wise makes more sense to get another top quality CB than some other positions. DE could be picked in the first but there seems to be lack of difference makers after Clowney in our range. Interior OL while is critical to our improvement as any other area can be addressed in free agency and in the 2nd-4th rounds. Also, there doesn’t appear to be that high level interior talent in our area of the draft. A prospect like Johnathon Cooper last year would be perfect for us because he could help at guard or center.

WR is the other position that seems to make sense based on value of the draft. I think the WR position will end up being much deeper than the past few drafts. So there could be a lot of value in another 2nd round pick.

Given our many needs, abundance of free agents and depth of QBs I think a trade really could make a lot of sense. Having 3 picks in first two rounds can really help us maybe more than just one higher round pick.

I would love to see a high quality TE although we disagree what that entails. But I think we might have too many other holes to fill to go there with a pick in the first 2 days. Most of the first round TEs haven’t been great anyways. It’s better to go with higher upside in rounds 2-4 and hope you get lucky. I know Beckum and Robinson so far makes that seem foolish to some. But except for Vernon Davis none of the great TEs right now were first round picks. Look at the Denver TE Thomas coming out of nowhere after doing nothing in his first 2 years. That leaves some hope for Robinson and Donnell.

Now that we are out of it the Robinson and Donnell have to see the field. I even think we should inactivate Myers so there’s not temptation on gameday to play him. And maybe Pascoe too but he does play some special teams. Hosley needs to start. McBride gave us a great effort this year but isn’t a solution. Hankins and Moore need to play significant snaps. And finally we need to see James as a PR. It’s not Randle’s fault but he’s not a legit PR guy. We need one next year. Only James, Holsey and Jernigan have those skills on the roster. Jernigan has failed his way out of a chance, maybe he gets one more this offseason. Hosley needs to stay healthy and focus on being a CB. James is a guy that looked great in preseason except for one punt. He has the quickness that could make him the type of PR we need. I think we need to make sure answers aren’t on the roster in positions of question. That’s why Mosley also should play and Diehl should sit. But I know that’s not going to happen because we want to protect Eli. I still think playing Mosley would be the right call but I doubt it’s going to happen. Lastly, I think Cox needs to get some carries. He should be more familiar with the offense now and Hollis is very likely gone and maybe Brown too. Really Cox is the only RB locked in to return next year with Wilson’s career in question. So why not get him some reps. We are still try to win these games but we have to see what’s on the roster with our younger players going into next year.

6.  BigBlueGiant says:

ACL/ MCL for Gronk.

Man, some new rules are going to have to take place. The NFL is going to end up broke due to lawsuits from not only head injuries but all the leg injuries since players can’t aim high anymore without a flag and a fine.

Looks like Merriweather was right about the ACL’s and ruining players careers, he just didn’t word it properly.

•  Krow says:

Well you can’t hit him high … he outweighs a typical DB by 50 pounds, so you can’t take him straight on. What else are they suppposed to do except hit him low ?

And of course Gronk is made of fine crystal. Very injury prone.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

He’s always been injury prone since college. that’s why he fell to the 2nd rd.

But still, this goes for all Receivers. We’ll be seeing more ACL’s torn bc of this.

You know, my attitude at this point is that blowing it all up really couldn’t be much worse than the alternative. Another year of this staff will lead to a fan revolt. They are past their sell-by date and their entire approach to things hasn’t really worked for most of the last six years (the last eight games of the 2011 season, which requires ignoring the one total stinker in there, hardly an outlier over the Coughlin reign, were an exception but depended a lot on some brilliant play from Eli and his receivers and was always one play by Osi or Cruz or Eli or Nicks or Ballard from the usual disappointment).

The real problem, as I said earlier, is that this team has become just about as much Tom Coughlin’s team as the Cowboys are Jerry Jones’ team. He is lionized by the Maras, and must be deferred to by Reese. So while he’s a wonderful man, his bedrock beliefs are outdated and are hurting this team.

Anyone who says that he won’t play the young players so they can get evaluated because he is determined to restore pride in the team (and who wouldn’t play Nicks even as a decoy against the Cowboys in the most important game of the season because he hadn’t practiced enough, which never stopped him from playing Plax for years), is damaging the Giants. He needs to understand that the pride he’s talking about is his, and his motives certainly include proving that he can still coach in this league. That’s fine, except when it’s not. Like now.

This does feel scarily like it did as the YA Tittle team started to disintegrate and we headed into the Dark Ages that weren’t escaped until Rozelle stepped in and insisted that George Young be made the GM because the Maras had made a joke of the league’s most important franchise. My hope for the future is that John learned from what he saw as he was growing up, and will do what’s necessary. I cannot say I am completely confident that will happen.

•  Krow says:

Got that same old feeling too huh?

•  BigBlueGiant says:

What made you change your tune about this team? Was it the lack of effort yesterday? Few weeks ago you were praising this team and what they might accomplish.

Not trying to knock the optimism on anyone’s behalf but, let’s be honest. Who didn’t see this coming?

Lack of effort, horrid game plan, refusal to bring pressure on Rivers, clear evidence that any connection between Eli and the receivers is gone, the uselessness of the O-line when they played against a healthy team.

I was fooled by the six games. I knew they weren’t a top team but I saw incremental improvements and hoped they’d show up when we finally played a decent team (I think San Diego is decent, but no more than that). I was wrong.

They suck.

I already admitted I was wrong and you and Jim were right (I guess Krow too, though he wasn’t quite as sure as were you two). It’s okay if you want to rub it in. I’m reveling in my pain today. Being a Giants fan is not much fun right now. Maybe I’ll try the Knicks LOL!

•  BigBlueGiant says:

we all are, trust me.

And it’s not being right or wrong. I think Stoll and I were just more prepared for what was coming.

Now, how we finish will determine what holes to fix in this years draft? we shall see…

•  Krow says:

To be honest, I thought we were a decent 8-8 team … with a chance to get hot and be a factor. I never dreamed we were one of the elites … I also never dreamed we were THIS effing bad. So I make no claim to having seen this coming.

Let’s dispel another myth while we’re at it … this is not a well coached team.

Now I’m not saying the coaches are incompetent. They certainly are not. I’m not saying the coaches aren’t trying. They certainly are. However the result on the field is a mess. There are a lot of factors contributing. But the team is disengaged. Penalties … dropped passed … miscommunications … league leader in turnovers … blown assignments … missed blocks … I could go on. But in the end your left with the inescapable conclusion … poorly coached.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

This is an extremely poor coached team. I think that’s pretty evident based on their play. And if this is a well coached team, than our players are just not that good, and we are all NYG Homers who think they are the best because they were Blue.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Also, a well coached offense doesn’t have at least 2-3 delay of game penalties on them EVERY GAME. Why does it take so long to get the play off? I know these guys aren’t mensa members but, I mean… It’s like these guys don’t practice at all.

Where’s Michael Ray Richardson these days? They should get him out for the 12/29 game so he can do his best rendition of his most famous pronouncement on a New York team.

10.  JimStoll says:

the positive this season has been the return of the white pants, abeit for only 2 games
    we need to go all white all the time next year
    if you look better you may play better
    always hated the grey pants
    really hate then design of the white jerseys as well
    need to change it back to its 80′s/90′s version

what I would like to see in the 2 remaining home games is a complete revolt and boycott by the fans such that whoever is in the stadium (hopefully precious few bodies) will root for the away team

we need to drive the point home that as fans we are fed up