December 8th, 2013 at 7:00 AM
By Anthony Raia

Being a college athlete and stuck on the bench behind a star can’t be easy. As the New York Daily News recently detailed, former Ole Miss quarterback David Morris made the best of it. Morris was a backup to Eli Manning for three years at Ole Miss, and continues to have Manning’s back. Morris works with the New York Giants quarterback during the offseason, videotaping his throws and helping dissect mistakes.

“I’m happy for David that he’s doing something he truly loves,” Manning says. “I’ve had him train me, and I give him some drill work that we do. I like that he films it; I can watch it on my own. He’s a guy who watched me throw the last 14 years. With David I can call out an old college play, and he knows the read, progressions. He’s someone I’m comfortable with.”

What started off as a competition for the same spot, turned into a lifelong bond between Manning and Morris. However, being a career backup at Ole Miss took its toll on Morris. He gave up football shortly after graduating because he was “burnt out from being one snap away for three seasons behind the immovable Manning.” Morris battled depression, but eventually found his calling and is now a fixture in Alabama’s quarterback boom. Morris was the trainer for Alabama quarterback and Heisman trophy candidate A.J. McCarron.

“Morris acknowledges Manning’s readiness to needle him, but the old backup developed thick skin over the years. His understated nature and relatively compact size — 6-feet, 180 pounds — caused McCarron’s father, Tony, to question whether he had found the right tutor for his son when he first met Morris nine years ago.”

His small stature was nothing compared to the knowledge Morris gained from years watching Manning. As a frequent contributor to the Manning Passing Academy, Morris is able to help high school quarterbacks reach the college level.

Photo credit: Flickr profile / Foter.com / CC BY

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Alabama, David Morris, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

17 Responses to “Eli Manning’s Ole Miss Backup, David Morris, Still Plays a Role for New York Giants QB”

1.  kujo says:

Well, I’d sure like Eli to take a dump all over San Diego today, but since they are fighting for the playoffs (technically) and we are…not…I imagine we’ll probably lose, extending Eli’s winless streak in San Diego.

I predict we will run from the archaic I-formation. If we try a pass on first down that goes incomplete then there’s a 75% chance 2nd-and-10 is a shotgun draw. Near the end of the first half we’ll move the ball exceptionally well employing a hurried no-huddle offense. Despite its success that will be the only time we’ll use it. There will be at least 2 3rd down situations where the interior offensive line gives up a drive killing sack. Philip Rivers will throw for over 300 yards.

What an utter disaster this season has been. I can only speak for myself, but I had high hopes. At the very least I thought we’d make the playoffs. Looking back I can see that I fell into the oldest of fan traps … over-estimating the talent. It’s human nature I suppose, but I did think this squad was …. ummmm OK, maybe not loaded … but at least solid. Now … frankly I’m not confident that we have close to what it takes to make a run.

I also get a very confusing vibe from the team. It’s hard to put into words, but they don’t seem focused. Too often not on the same page. Every game there’s a breakdown or two. Mentally not sharp … not into it. They don’t seem hungry … or angry. No ‘eye of the tiger’ … to use that hackneyed phrase. You watch some of the better teams and they exude killer instinct. They want it … they get you down and they finish you. We don’t have that. We used to.

5.  GIANTT says:

I suppose I am one of those who have led the charge of fans with an overabundance of exuberance towrds the talent level on this team .To those of you who have perhaps felt my wrath for your lack of enthusiasm in the past , I will concede that perhaps you werent completely wrong .
    Again , I am perplexed by this weeks game . As I said previously , although they have similar records , San Diego is going through a lsing streak and the Giants have improved a great deal over the past few games . Well , OK , they have started winning . THis is the one factor that gives me hope for the Giants
    Eli will find something that works (Perhaps Cruz or Meyers will find it ) and Beason with Rivers and Williams will help stop SD both running and passing

•  James Stoll says:

5-1 but really only one good game– GB — and that against a 3d stringer
      SD always seems to under-perform. But they gave a real offense with a real QB. It will be interesting to see the defense.

It’s really getting bad that most of the posts either are desultory gestures toward caring or ridiculous propositions that we have no QB.

I was on a short vacation so didn’t follow the site but has Jim’s depressive phase scared off EVERYONE!!!

Giants win today and make plenty of fans start rueful commenting about the games that got away over the first six weeks.

Hopefully the game today in Philly presages this years Superbowl. Since we have no shot … let it snow … let it snow … let it snow.

8.  Dirt says:

Jim Schwartz has clearly never played in the snow. Running into a pile is a recipe for strips. Throwing is where the money is – no one can cover and the pass rush can’t get off.

9.  TroyThorne says:

Not trying to play the “I told you so” card or anything but I felt uneasiness about this team heading into the season. I felt like we were really bad last year, like worse than our record said we were. I was the first person to point out Eli’s diminishing play and I didn’t feel like we did enough to really change the team for the better. The preseason scared me because Eli continued to play poorly but I tried to tell myself not to take too much from the preseason. Still, I predicted 6 wins at the beginning of the season. With that said, I didn’t think we would be THIS bad (as in we need to be playing 3rd string QBs in order to scrounge out a win).

Well, at least we aren’t the Jets, Raiders, Texans or Skins. Be thankful for small things.