New York Giants TE Brandon Myers Misses Thursday Practice with Groin Injury

December 5th, 2013 at 1:00 PM

It took Brandon Myers quite some time to adjust to the New York Giants offense, but after two straight solid games, he appeared to finally be coming around. For that reason, and given how the season has gone for Big Blue, it seems only fitting that he'd suddenly come down with a groin injury.

As the Giants took the practice field on Thursday, Myers was noticeably absent. Instead of joining his teammates for drills, he instead rode the stationary bike on the side.

"It's just a little sore — nothing major," Myers said.

Meanwhile, in addition to Myers, both defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul (shoulder) and running back Brandon Jacobs (knee) also missed practice and appear unlikely to play on Sunday against the San Diego Chargers.

The good news for Big Blue is that cornerbacks Trumaine McBride (groin) and Corey Webster (ankle) both practiced, along with fellow cornerback Terrell Thomas (knee), who returned after his routine day off.

More coming…

Photo credit: 34lizard / Photobucket / CC BY-NC-SA

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Brandon Jacobs, Brandon Myers, Corey Webster, Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Diego, San Diego Chargers, Trumaine McBride

41 Responses to “New York Giants TE Brandon Myers Misses Thursday Practice with Groin Injury”

1.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Hopefully if Meyers can’t go we can finally get a look at the “JPP of TE’s.” Robinson or Donnell seriously need to show something. Meyers, at 4M next season is surely gone.

REPOST:

I want to chime in on the great “Draft a TE in the first round” debate that is going on. I simply cannot see it happening, regardless of who’s there. Throw in the fact that Gilbride is likely back next year and doesn’t value the position – along with the fact that you can generally find STUDS in the mid-rounds (Jimmy Graham, Julius Thomas, Ladarius Green – even Gronk, the best in the game, was a mid 2nd rounder) coupled with glaring needs; just doesn’t make sense to me. Also throw in the fact that TE’s taken in the first round rarely contribute in year one. Look how good Eiffert looked coming out – then compare that to what he’s contributed this season. We need to use our “weed guy” pick – 3rd rounder…POSSIBLY 4th-5th rounder depending on his combine and how teams feel about his prior off the field issues, on Colt Lyerla, the troubled TE from Oregon. The kid was originally viewed as a 2nd round talent before getting into trouble. He is 6’5, 246 lbs and runs a 4.5 40. I think it’d be worth the gamble.

To me, Nicks is gone. Forget the fact that he might as well not even dress for games with the “production” that he has had this year…but the fact that this late in his career he is benched by the coach for missing practice when we’ve had guys like Plax and AB miss a year’s worth of practice and still play is a complete joke. He will go home to Carolina next year and play with Cam and the emerging Panthers. I wouldn’t mind bringing Manningham back at a reasonable price…but I’m not so sure it happens. To me, Mike Evans, if he is there…which is a big question of if he will be…is our first rounder. Sure, he isn’t a burner…but from watching games and reading scouting reports he has what was listed in Nicks’ scouting report: deceptive speed. He would also give Eli a big target that he hasn’t seen since Plax who will go up and fight for the ball.

Beatty has looked like garbage this year. No question about that. I do think that with a solid TE helping block and a legit LG that it would make a world of difference in his game. Reese and the front office will surely beef up this OL in the offseason; let’s see what happens then and just hope Eli stays healthy to reap the benefits next season.

•  Nosh.0 says:

We disagree on Mike Evans. While his straight line speed may be similar to Nicks, his athleticism is not. Nicks college highlights look a lot more similar to Marquise Lee than Evans. Better agility, body control, fluidness, and quickness.

But we’re on the same page when it comes to a TE. I just never understood the fascination with having a great one. To me it’s always been a luxury and not a necessity. Plus a first rounder is no guarantee to be a difference maker, where as certain WR’s I believe are easier to predict at the next level.

I will say the one area where a big time TE would make a huge difference is the red zone which has obviously been a huge problem for us.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Nosh, i know you don’t think Evans is the guy, but he’s really good WR, and plays with a QB who has a similar style to Eli in which he throws the ball up to let his Receiver make the play. Marquis Lee might be more athletic, but Evans will be drafted before him. I don’t think Evans will be around for us anyway.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Since we’re into making friendly bets here, I’m willing to bet right now that Lee and Watkins go before Evans. I’d even add in the caveat that Lee and Watkins will go 10 picks ahead of Evans, but NFL G.M.’s have a tendency to do dumb things.

But I have no problems making a friendly wager that they go ahead of Evans.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Listen, i’m a gambler. Lee is slotted to go anywhere after the 15th pick according to most mocks i’ve read. Watkins is going anywhere from 8-13. Evans has been slotted int the 5-10 range.

This is all pre combine. But Lee’s stock has slipped this year. And that kid from Fresno State Davante Adams has passed Lee on the boards.

combine could change some things. but I dont think much.

Nosh it’s not about having a great TE it’s about replacing the presence of Nicks. Even if Nick’s production is down his presence still helps. A better TE target would help. It doesn’t have to be a high draft pick IMO but I don’t think picking one high is out of the question.

BBG – I just don’t agree on Evans. I think Evans will fall when he runs a 4.65. Can’t see him being drafted in front of Lee. Lee IMO is the most complete WRs in the last 2 drafts. Evans struggled with the physical coverage of LSU and Mizz the past two weeks which I think is a bad NFL omen.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

We SHOULD see Robinson on the field, but we won’t. I think the coaches have zero confidence in his abilities and he will be released at years end. Donnell looks the better of the two anyway.

That said, Gronk slipped in the draft bc he missed a ton of time in college with injuries. And that still plagues him to this day. He only did the bench press at the combine and had 23 reps. He came in slightly heavy, so he didn’t want to run. Had he came in good shape, and didn’t have a history of Injuries he would have been EASILY a top 20 pick.

As for Jimmy Graham. He was a REACH pick for the Saints in the 3rd round. NOT ONE SCOUT in the NFL thought he’d be where he is today. The kid didn’;t play football until his Senior year at the U. He was a basketball player. And an average one at that. Randy Shannon liked the kid’s size, speed and athletic ability and put him in pads. Jimmy Graham owes Randy Shannon his career.

That said, we should wait to see what our record states at the end of the year and see what some of these kids do at the combine. I know GOAT will disagree, but the combine is going to push Ebron foward and knock some guys out of the 1st round. But i REALLY REALLY like Ebron, and i think he could be a very good addition tto the offense.

Robinson has been hurt most of the year but never placed on IR, I think that says something. Not sure why he hasn’t seen the field since he’s seemingly healthy now. I think Myers out would be a good thing because either Robinson or Donnell would have to play.

BBG – we disagree on the TE you like but agree with the overall point about TE. My point about Ebron has never been he won’t be picked high, I think he will be picked mid to late first. I just don’t like my TE to be as one dimensional as Ebron appears to be.

Everything you said about Gronk and Graham is spot on. And Graham was just a hack as a basketball player at that.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Trust me, I know all about Graham at the U. that’s my alumni.

Right now, Ebron is slated to 20th to the last pick. I think that changes during the combine. He will impress.

2.  Since 1963 says:

Bob Tucker, Mark Bavaro, and Howard Cross were all mid-round picks, if memory serves. But Aaron Pierce, who didn’t work out was a third-rounder, I think. What draft position was Kevin Boss, a four?

3.  Nosh.0 says:

To be fair Jimmy Graham isn’t really a TE. Does the kid ever block? And I think he lines up in the slot a majority of the time.

Technically he is a TE, but not really. Just a really big and tall WR.

4.  JimStoll says:

Adrien Robinson’s goal is to survive 4 years in the NFL without playing a down of real football
    Half way there

5.  Nosh.0 says:

Heres some of the highlights I’ve seen.

Marquise Lee

Sammy Watkins

Mike Evans

No one can watch those and then with a straight face say that Evans belongs in a group with the other 2 players.

I’m not saying he won’t be good at the NFL level. But Watkins and Lee’s success at this level are a lot easier to predict than Evans.

6.  Nosh.0 says:

BBG- No money. Just a friendly wager.

I believe after the combine and once scouts and G.M.’s have a chance to watch all the tape they will have Lee and Watkins ahead of Evans.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Some players like Watkins are naturally going to look better in the highlight reels. Lee is great, don’t get me wrong, But he’ll be a mid to late 1st round pick.

Watkins, Adams and Evans will be drafted before him.

Can I get on this non money wager too? I think Lee goes 1st, then Watkins. I think Evans drops with a poor 40 and poor close to the year.

•  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Don’t sleep on a team like the Rams, with 2 high first rounders to go after a guy like Evans to pair with Austin.

7.  LUZZ says:

I would love to see some highlights of Cruz at UMass. He must of tore up that colonial conference.

8.  LUZZ says:

I prefer Evans over Watkins in the NFL. I don’t think Johnny Football is that great a passer and without Evans coming down with many jump balls I’m not sure A&M is nearly as good offensively.

Watkins is very good but I see Evan’s game as one that is more NFL ready. Obviously both of their success will largely be defendant on which team they go to and what offense they are inserted.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

agreed. Also think given the type of QB in that Eli is, Evans is a great fit here. Eli and Manziel both like to just throw the ball up there and let their receiver make the play.

9.  LUZZ says:

Also, having watched interviews with both of them, I would feel much more comfortable with Evan’s becoming an overnight millionaire than Watkins. He seems far more mature to me. I think Sumlin runs a tighter ship than Dabo does.