December 4th, 2013 at 3:00 PM

'Jason Pierre-Paul' photo (c) 2012, Mike Morbeck - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/ While New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul is hoping to avoid offseason shoulder surgery, he told the media on Wednesday that he's not yet willing to shut it down for the season. The Giants, too, have been open about trying to avoid that.

"Shutting it down is not in my category," JPP said. "Otherwise I would've shut it down when I got the injury, which was the Oakland game. That's not an option. You never know what might happen. But to shut it down when my team needs me badly? That's just very selfish of me, and I'm not a selfish player."

Although his status for Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers remains uncertain, Pierre-Paul did return to practice on Wednesday on a limited basis. Primarily, he worked with trainers on the side doing strength exercises and working on his range of motion.

For head coach Tom Coughlin, that's an encouraging sign.

“Anything is encouraging if we can get him out on the field,” Coughlin said.

Still, Pierre-Paul can't help but to think ahead to 2014 and a return to health — something he expects to result in the JPP of old.

"I know point blank when I come back next year there won't be a tackle who can stop me," he said.

And, hey, if JPP says it will happen, then is will happen. After all, he's already proven once this year he's a Clairvoyant.

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Football, Jason Pierre-Paul, New York, New York Giants, NFL, San Diego, San Diego Chargers, Tom Coughlin

31 Responses to “New York Giants’ Jason Pierre-Paul not Shutting It Down This Season: “My Team Needs Me””

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

We’ll need you more year and for years to come JPP. We’re not going anywhere this year. Do yourself a favor before it costs you your career.

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    December 4, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    If we are staying in this system I think some are getting their hopes caught up too much in a rookie. A rookie WR or TE is likely not going to contribute much in year one. Nicks and Steve Smith were the exceptions. It’s accident both of them came from pro style systems. Our of the WR and TEs mentioned that’s another reason I like Lee and Jenkins. I think coming from pro college systems they are more ready to contribute than other WRs. I like Watkins a lot too but I do think he’s less likely yo hit the ground running than Lee. I think Lee is a top 8 pick that will drop some because of his year. I really like him. But even drafting him is not the 2014 solution to our WR corp. I agree with F55 and have stated before that I believe we need a player like Manningham assuming we don’t keep Nicks for our 2014 WR corp.

And given that we are near the bottom of the NFL in sacks our first round target very well could be a DE. Tuck/Kiwi are long term solutions and I think we have seen you need at least 3 quality DEs.

I also think last week showed that Tuck should always play DT in long distant situations. He’s just way more effective as a DT rushing the passer. If he has to play less snaps overall so be it. But playing Tuck at DE on early downs and DT on long situations has to be the way to use Tuck. Yes he gets more beat up like that but he hasn’t been overly effective pass rushing as a DE. Our DTs haven’t been too effective either.

I see some mocks suggesting LB. I think we have got good enough play from LB assuming Beason is kept that it’s not longer a major concern. Given in today’s NFL you play so much 5 DBs that not with Beason, Paysinger and Williams we have a core and can fill in the rest with Rivers like signings. A mid to late pick at LB is fine but to me we have much more serious needs than to look LB on day one or day two.

Also one last thing about the rookies. Is this year with the draft being a month later I wonder if that hurts their ability to contribute because they have less time to learn doing the offseason.

•  Nosh.0 says:

A DE in the first round makes perfect sense but other than Clowney I don’t currently see one worth the value where we are picking.

I haven’t commented on the TE because I just don’t see it for our system. I would much rather have 3 good WR’s and an average TE for Gilbrides offense than 2 good WR’s and a great TE. Not only that, but 1st round TE’s seem to rarely be worth the value of the pick. Not that they’re busts, just it seems they are usually not the difference maker that you would hope to get from drafting a skill position in the first round.

I have no problem with Mannignham if we are getting the 2010-2011 athlete. 2 years older and off an injury though, if he’s not the same athlete than I see no point. Unless he is dirt cheap.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Anthony Barr is worthy of a 1st round pick, but he might be better suited in a 3-4.

Disagree on the TE, it would do wonders for Eli. And in all honesty, i think changes will be made after this year and Gilbride will be fired or resign given our offensive struggles.

And Agree on MM.

Manningham had an ACL. He’s healthy now and by next year should be 100%. But because of the injury and lack of production in SF he will probably be very reasonable.

BBG – we agree on Barr and adding a TE. Barr is a 3-4 LB to me. So while he could help I don’t think we would maximize what he could bring. I do think a dynamic TE can help maybe even more than a WR. I would have strongly considered nto re-signing Cruz and keeping Bennett. I just think a dynamic TE in out system includes being a Bennett type of blocker.

3.  Nosh.0 says:

Wasn’t comparing Evans to Barden. Just saying I don’t think his in the same class of athlete as the other 2 WR’s or Plaxico, who was a great athlete.

4.  Nosh.0 says:

Hypothetically and off the top of my head, let’s just say we split these last 4 games. That puts us at 7-9 and about the 13th pick.

To me here are the most logical picks going by needs, and value of position (ie how much does position cost on FA market, and importance in our system)

I’d say OT, WR, CB are the 3 most logical positions to be our first round pick.

•  Nosh.0 says:

And WR is only the pick in the 1st round if the kid has the potential to be a #1. Otherwise you wait. So if there’s no Lee or Watkins available then cancel WR for the first.

Unless you believe Evans is a #1 which I don’t, but that’s just an opinion from a fan watching highlight videos.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Agreed. But i’m thinking 6-10.

But There’s really not a worthy OT in this draft that will be sitting there. Same with CB’s. WR’s there will def be there for our picking.

I think some of these CBs will be worth that pick. Not saying that’s where we should definitely go but think the CB class will turn our lie this years but a little better.

I don’t agree with OT. Pugh looks like he can be a very good RT so why mess with that. I don’t think Beatty is a RT nor does it make sense to move him based on his salary. We are better off addressing the interior and there appears to be no great prospect like last year that you would consider in the middle of the first.

The TE that appears to have passed Jenkins and not far away from Ebron is the Texas Tech kid Jace Amaro. I didn’t realize he was as big as he is. But the concern with him is blocking playing in a spread system.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Not saying OT is a need for us, as I have no problem with Beatty and Pugh going forward as our tackles.

My point is that OL is a huge need for us. And I believe Pugh has the athleticism to be a very good pulling guard. With the new CBA you could draft a tackle and the money Beatty is making at LT or RT wouldn’t hurt you.

But really it’s about value. If you’re in position to draft an elite Tackle prospect I don’t think it’s a bad decision. Unfortunately Mathews will not be available as I would take him in a heartbeat. Looking at the prospects it seems like there will be some good Tackles available. The Alabama kid is intriguing.

That ‘Bama kid (Kuandijo?) is very good. And my friend who is a huge Michigan fan told me I didn’t see enough of the Michigan-Ohio State game because I missed Lewan putting on a show in the second half. Along with Matthews and that kid from Florida State those are all great prospects.

5.  Chad Eldred says:

It’s nice to hear that he doesn’t want to shut it down. I’d be concerned about his desire if he did. However, management should be taking a pragmatic approach. I don’t care what the coaches and GM want to put forth in terms of rhetoric to the public, they know there is not realistic chance this team is making the playoffs. At whatever point that becomes mathematical certainty there is no reason other than foolish pride to have JPP playing, when he clearly needs to heal.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah I give them credit for wanting to keep fighting, but it’s clear that #1 we won’t be making the playoffs, and #2 this roster has flaws. This isn’t the 2010/2011 Giants that we were waiting for to start peaking and playing up to their ability. I think the past 6 or so weeks we have played up to our ability, and that is of a middle of the road team.

It’s why I’d love to see some of the younger players get some reps over guys who won’t be here next year.

That’s a good point, the rookie contracts don’t tie your hands. However, my view is that I don’t think Beatty is a RT at all because he’s finesse player and that drafting a LT is the lock it use to be. Look at the guys drafted this past year. I don’t think any of the top 3 even started at LT and only the Jags kid is playing there even this deep into the season. And all of those LTs were drafted before we are likely to pick. We are better off trying to fix Beatty and replace the interior players.

6.  Nosh.0 says:

Obviously things will become more clear after the combine but it looks like right now there are 4 DE prospects with first round potential.

Clowney, Tuitt from Notre Dame, Easley from Florida, and Critchton from Oregon St.

Can’t say I know anything about them other than Clowney.

Only Critchton is a 4-3 DE and he seems to be late first at best. Unless someone emerges it doesn’t appear that a 4-3 DE in the mid first that makes sense is to pick there.

7.  Nosh.0 says:

That’s why I’m giving TC and co. somewhat of a pass for this season.

On defense we just don’t have a consistent pass rush. That, and the fact we have been banged up at Corner, I think an elite passing offense would expose us.

But really the flaws of this team are on offense. Nicks has not been a weapon this year, Randle is still not reliable, and Myers is below average.

But the unit that sabotaged the entire season, is the Offensive Line. Eli deserves some blame also, but it is now 100% clear that this OL just has too many below average and quite possibly flat out bad players on it. Deihl, Boothe, Cordle are anywhere from below average to bad. And Beatty has been a disaster this year. Just too many holes to overcome.

Had we continued to get embarrassed like we did from weeks 2-4, then I would want TC gone this winter, but the team has shown some fight. And in my opinion played basically up to their ability these past few weeks.

So yeah all the people blaming Reese for this year we’re probably right, although Nicks and JPP being non factors was just plain bad luck. Still, I think Jerry is a very good G.M. He just didn’t do a very good job building this years roster.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Or I should say, he greatly overestimated what he had on the O Line.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

our coaching style is outdated. And our offense is too complicated for these dummies to understand. This is why i think that Gibride goes at the end of this year. Other teams have done MUCH more with players who aren’t as good as the ones we have on our roster. Or maybe the ones we have on our rosters aren’t as good as we think?

What’s ironic of all of our players the player that could have changed our season the most might have been Andre Brown if he played the whole year. Conner also was a big addition. Just having a little running game would have won us 2 games in our first 6. Imagine being 7-5 now even with this same roster. We clearly have some holes but we have gotten better. I do think all the changing of players really hurt in the beginning as well.

I don’t love our coaching style but I do think it still can work. But you need players experienced in our system. That’s why many of us (including me) were wrong when we though a player like Murphy is an upgrade from Hixon. jags or just good players are better than superior talents in this system sometimes.

I think this season falls on everyone. Some players not performing Eli, JPP, Nicks and Beatty especially. The coaches not adjusting soon enough. Bring in too many new players on one year deals and overrating our vets on the OL. And then just bad luck with the amount of injuries and our best players not playing well.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Yeah don’t get me wrong TC definitely has flaws, and I don’t give him a golden ticket like some people do. He’s on the hot seat for 2014.

But after week 4 I was ready to say he needed to be gone after this year, and now I have no problem giving him 2014.

But by all means 2014 is a hot seat year for TC, and to a much lesser extent, Jerry Reese.

•  skechy says:

My problem is no with TC, his loyalty just drives me nuts. Someone can continuously make mistakes and if they are not a rookie they keep getting passes. Makes a great friend but as the coach of my favorite team and my overrating illogical fanatic i want changes faster. If someone said i could keep TC and get rid of Gilbride i would take it in a heartbeat i just dont trust TC to do it on his own.

•  Chad Eldred says:

The offense is certainly outdated, but I’m not buying this contention that it is complicated. Or at least any more complicated than any other offense being run by other successful teams. This point is usually predicated upon the fact that the receivers have to make post-snap reads and adjust their route based upon the coverage that the defense employs after the ball is snapped. This is nothing new and very common in the NFL. In fact I would like to know what offense doesn’t have post-snap reads by receivers involved in some way.

The offense is definitely antiquated. It’s reminiscent of the old Al Davis favored scheme that became a total caricature of itself in Oakland. Run the ball and then throw deep. It became a total joke around the time that Jeff Hostetler came to Oakland in which it became just throw deep. The success void that has come to form in Raider land still exists posthumously. Unless you have an O-line reminiscent of the mid-90′s Cowboys, this just doesn’t work. Especially, as we’ve seen this season, if your line cannot generate a running game. Even if it can you cannot continuously take deep drops and expect your linemen to hold their blocks for 4 or 5 seconds. It’s just not going to happen. Receivers don’t have time to run double moves and break open on deep patterns. While Gilbride throws in the occasional roll-outffor Eli to buy some time, the core of the offense stays in place. Granted, Eli might be getting killed even with short drops, because the pass blocking has been that bad.

I could go on and on, but it just starts getting me frustrated. Gilbride will return next season and this will be the offense. Let’s just hope they can make some improvements in terms of personnel and the guys we retain can get better. Counting on regime change, even at the coordinator level is just not a realistic hope.

Excellent post, but I do think that one of Gilbride’s problems is that the receivers are given too many post-snap options. If they held it to two options (ie. sit down in the zone or hitch-and-go) they could easily integrate less experienced players into the system. But I’ve been told that Randle has four options and that’s less than what Cruz and Nicks and Eli have!!

Nonetheless , you’re absolutely right that without a good O-line the run/big play pass offense just cannot work.

•  Chad Eldred says:

If the part about Randle, or anyone, having to make a choice between four routes is true, then I will concede that is far too complicated. And unnecessarily so. I cannot imagine that there is significant benefit to having four options when weighed against the fact that the receiver and the QB both have to be making the same read.

However, I would really like to see the playbook. And not the page devoted to shotgun draws.

Yep. On a typical play apparently Randle will have to choose among:
                1) Sit down or look for back shoulder;
                2) Hitch-and-go;
                3) Inside post;
                4) Hard out to sideline

Obviously Eli has to make the same reads. So the possibilities are 4 to the fourth power. That’s 1024 possible combinations which both Eli and Randle have to reduce to one with pre- and post-snap reads and knowing what the other receivers should be seeing as well. When it works its nearly indefensible. When it doesn’t you get Eli’s history of TD-to-interception ratios.

8.  Begiant says:

JPP is not a selfish player? We will see about that during his contract year. I remember when Osi was complaining about his contract a couple years ago he said something along the lines of ‘just pay the man.” The way he said it, If I recall correctly, made me think money was not the biggest priority for him. I hope we get him for a reasonable contract. I know he is going to make bank, but not something that would kill our future cap space. Tuck has come off the same way, not really caring about the money. I don’t know what it is. Maybe they were just raised in an environment that didn’t promote luxary or wasteful spending. It does seem to boggle the mind how some players lose all their money. I feel like the ones who save their paychecks and live like they were making 120k a year (plus some nice extras) can be set for life and enjoy a nice retirement, especially if they took advantage of that free, or partially free college education.

9.  Begiant says:

The lack of a big play TE or wanting to have one seems crazy to me. If we can get a good one that can block and catch well. Maybe a bit better or one par with Bennett. Then our offense will get a huge boost. Remember, Eli has a tendency to throw high, you would think these big TEs would be used more often.