New York Giants DE Justin Tuck Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week

December 4th, 2013 at 10:01 AM

In what should come as no real surprise, New York Giants defensive end Justin Tuck has been named NFC Defensive Player of the Week after a four-sack performance against the Washington Redskins on Sunday night.

The four sacks raised his number of career games with 3+ sacks up to three, joining Michael Strahan (7) and Lawrence Taylor (12) as the only Giants who have ever accomplished such a feat. It was also only the sixth time a member of the Giants has had 4+ sacks in a single game, joining Taylor (twice), Strahan, Pepper Johnson and Osi Umenyiora, who recorded six sacks against the Philadelphia Eagles in 2007.

“It was an amazing performance from him and I told him how happy I was for him,” Umenyiora told Newsday, admitting he sent Tuck a congratulatory text following the game.

The four sacks was a career high for Tuck, who had only 2 1/2 going into the game.

Following the big game, Tuck was peppered with questions about his future and whether or not retirement was on the table. Short answer? It's not.

"Oh, I’m definitely not retiring. I definitely will continue to play," Tuck said recently. "My body feels great. I definitely have a huge passion for the game, and we’ll see where everything stacks up at the end of the year."

Photo credit: MattBritt00 / Foter.com / CC BY-NC-SA

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Football, Justin Tuck, Lawrence Taylor, Michael Strahan, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Pepper Johnson, Washington, Washington Redskins

14 Responses to “New York Giants DE Justin Tuck Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week”

Well done Tuck. And well deserved.

As for RG3, there is still no evidence that he can be an effective, traditional pocket passing QB. All of his success is based on either the option run or the threat of it.

I think people get too up and down on these QBs. It’s much like Cam last year. Plus he had no offseason to work o his skills. I think he will eventually learn how be a pocket QB but since it’s not natural for him it will take time. In some ways it reminds me of Steve Young. Because it took Young a while to learn how to be a pocket passer. I’m not saying he will be as good as Steve Young but just giving an example that it sometimes takes time to develop these skills.

2.  giantsou812 says:

tuck only show’s up for payday.
    Drafting the best player available regardless of need is retarded.

3.  JimStoll says:

how much do we miss Osi?

•  Nosh.0 says:

Eh. Osi’s skill had clearly declined last season.

I think we do miss Osi. Our top 3 DEs are totally different players. What he provided we haven’t replaced. Maybe Osi isn’t lighting it up for ATL but he also has a lower caliber of DE across from him than we have. I think the move hurt both parties. I think Moore will eventually provide much of what Osi did for much of his career but that might not be until year 3.

4.  KingAndrewXXIII says:

Congrats to Tuck! Well deserved award. This guy has surprised me this year. I don’t know if it’s that he’s in a contract year or what…but Tuck has been great this year. He has been GREAT against the run and has done a pretty good job of getting after the QB. Going into this season Tuck was one of my least favorite players for the fact that he ran his mouth and didn’t back it up. This season he has done a little bit less talking and a little bit more showing it on the field. He has already expressed his interest in retiring a New York Giant. I know that this is a business; IF he is willing to take a hometown discount on a 2-year deal (or a 1-year – I would not go beyond 2), I would GLADLY cut Kiwanuka (who has been totally ineffective this season and due big money next year) and keep Tuck as a rotational player who can be moved inside on occasion. I would still draft a DE or target someone in FA to be his successor so that we still have a three headed monster after Tuck is gone with JPP, Moore and Draft Pick/FA.

BBG,

I never said Ebron wasn’t athletic enough. You compared him to Vernon Davis and he simply isn’t him as an athlete. You said Ebron ran a 4.57 which is very fast for a TE but Vernon Davis ran a 4.38 at the combine and those times tend to be slower.

Now I did say I thought Ebron was small. I compared him to Winslow and Aaron Hernandez who were both smaller but very good TEs. However, I want a 2 way TE, think we saw this year with our OL just how much they missed Bennett’s blocking. Davis is only 250 but my with him is he’s freakishly strong and can block much better than nearly all TEs his size. I think we need a Gronk or Graham sized TE to help with both the passing and running game. I just simply don’t see Ebron as that type of player. That’s why I like the Jenkins kid from Washington better for us. I think Ebron is a very good talent just not the fit for us as a first round pick. I’m not even sure Jenkins would be worth that pick pick but he’s more likely yo be there in the 2nd round.

I also think a solution that could be had at a reasonable price for our TE is Pettiguw from Detroit. Their rookie TE has played well enough that I don’t see Detroit paying him. He has the size and pass catching skills we need. He’s not the athlete Bennett was but more like a better version of a healthy Ballard.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I’m not comparing Ebron to Davis. I said they have a similar frame, and comparable athletic abilities WHICH i think we will find out come combine time and watch Ebron’s stock soar up the charts similar to how Vernon Davis’ did after the combine.

That said, I never was a big fan of Pettitgrew. But i see us giving him a one year deal like we did with Bennet. He plays well, then gets paid somewhere else.

My major concern with a TE like Ebron is he would be another Myers in terms of blocking. To me if we are drafting a mid 1st round TE he should be able to do everything.

I don’t believe Pettiguw is great either but I think he could be very effective in how we use TEs. And instead of finding Eli a big WR I feel like he just needs a big TE because we know he tends to throw the ball high over the middle. I also think Pettiguw type of TE is not going to generate big free agent interest any year. He’s not the super athletic TE teams look for even with bigger targets. I think we could sign him to a Myers type deal that protects us if he doesn’t work but keeps him if he’s fits in well like Bennett.

6.  JimStoll says:

too bad none of it matters for this season
    we are very burnt toast

I would love to have Tuck back, largely because he can play both DE and DT and therefore gives us flexibility and might allow the carrying of one fewer defensive lineman so that roster spot can be used elsewhere. But they cannot pay him more than a 30-year old player who can give you 8-10 excellent games per season for two years (and some others when his play is less so) is worth. He’s also a great guy and appears to be over his Hamlet act and actually wants to play football instead of muse about the farm in Alabama.

I would probably allow Kiwi to go if we save a lot of money by doing so, but he has simply not been nearly as bad as most fans think. This seems to be a recurring theme with him, as it was with Osi (a playmaker who was hounded because he also overran the pocket on occasion but literally won many games for the Giants) and Canty (a guy who made everyone around him better until his last year with us when he was playing hurt). People ignore his many contributions (on Sunday night two of Tuck’s sacks were because Kiwi forced RGIII right into him) and expect him to make a play on every snap. If Tuck gets too rich an offer from somewhere else and departs I certainly hope Reese retains Kiwi while drafting another pass-rusher. And at around $4MM Kiwi is not being overpaid. He’s a pretty good defensive end in a league where the top DEs get paid beaucoup bucks. And he contributes every game.

I think it’s a matter of we are not going to keep both Tuck and Kiwi. I rather have Tuck. And I think we could sign Tuck for about the same as Kiwi is making. Kiwi is fine and solid but Tuck is more capable of making big plays and he’s great against the run. I think regardless you have to keep at least Tuck or Kiwi. We need at least 3 solid DEs. I like going into the year with JPP, Tuck, Moore and a mid round draft pick.