New York Giants’ Will Hill Impresses with Solid Play, Game-Ending Forced Fumble

December 2nd, 2013 at 12:00 PM

There is no denying that New York Giants safety Will Hill has some incredible football instincts. He is naturally gifted and the sky is the limit in terms of his potential. It's exactly why General Manager Jerry Reese and head coach Tom Coughlin have stuck with him despite two separate suspensions and some personal issues. The latter, of course, being a major reason few NFL teams afforded him an opportunity out of college.

But, to his credit, despite a few hiccups along the way, Hill has done a good job turning his personal life around and getting his priorities in order. The fact that he's now a starting safety for the New York Giants is testament to that.

And on Sunday night in a critical moment against the Washington Redskins, Hill took, perhaps, the next step in his development. As the saying goes, big players make big plays in big games and that's exactly what he did when he stripped wide receiver Pierre Garcon, securing the win for Big Blue.

“That was some play," Coughlin said. "I was just kidding with him that he had it all the way, but he knew what he wanted. The ball was hanging out there after the short gain which would have given them the first down. He ripped the ball out, did a great job of seeing the opportunity, and then he pushed himself down the field five or six yards. That was an outstanding play and the kind of play you need to have to win.”

Perhaps more impressive than the play itself is that Hill knew it had to happen. In order for the Giants to win the game, someone had to force a turnover. And with the Redskins driving and the clock ticking away, he stepped up.

"During the course of this game, [defensive end Justin Tuck] kept saying, ‘We need a turnover – we need to make a turnover. Who’s it going to be? I know it’s going to be somebody.’ Fortunately, it was me today," Hill said.

In addition to the game-ending strip of Garcon, Hill also recorded seven tackle (four solo).

Photo credit: The Brit_2 / Foter / CC BY-NC-ND

You need to satisfy your competitive drive, so why not beat our experts in fantasy football. At FightClub, our official Fantasy Football partner, you can change you team weekly and win cash. Get a free $5 credit when you sign up and try them out. And each week, Sports Media 101 will sweeten the pot and award the player with top points an extra $25. Match-up and show them how good you are. Can you handle FightClub?

Your man cave is your home field advantage for every game. When the game is on the line, you should be able to look around and be reminded of the great moments you've watched unfold in that very room! MJR Sports Integrity offers a wide range or team and player-specific memorabilia that can do just that and take your game day room to the next level. Find your inspiration at MJR Sports Integrity and will your team to victory!

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, Justin Tuck, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin, Washington, Washington Redskins, Will Hill

61 Responses to “New York Giants’ Will Hill Impresses with Solid Play, Game-Ending Forced Fumble”

1 2 3
  1.  BigBlueGiant says:

BigBlueGiant says:
    December 2, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Also, i said in the previous posts, there are a few players the giants need to work deals out for. Beason, Linval Joseph, Will hill, and Andre Brown and Tuck.

Webster, Nicks, Kiwi and some others are gonna be cut.

Asking Rolle to restructure is ideal, but how do you ask your BEST defensive player who has played at an All Pro level this year to restructure?

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

That was a nice play by Hill, but the play of the game IMO, was the hit that Antrell Rolle laid on Fred Davis the play before. That hit jarred the ball loose and put the Skins in a 3rd (or 4th?) and long. Great play by Rolle.

3.  Nosh.0 says:

I think Norm said it best when it comes to Corner backs. There’s only about 3-5 true #1 Corners in the NFL. Off the top of my head I can think of Revis (when healthy), Patterson, and Haden.

The rest are in the Prince mold. Very good, but they lack the elite athleticism you see in shutdown corners.

I’m a lot more comfortable with Prince as my #1 CB right now than I am with Beatty as my starting LT.

But I think we can all agree this team needs another CB. Webster seems just about done and if he is going to miss 4 games a year then it really is time to move on from him as the #2 corner.

•  GiantsFanFromEurope says:

I would also put Sherman on that list. I watched few Seahawks games and Sherman was playing some good D and in the game against the 49ers he completely shut down Boldin. For me personally at this moment Patrick Patterson is the best CB in NFL !

4.  Nosh.0 says:

The defense is not a big issue to me this offseason. We have 2 safeties in Hill and Rolle. Prince is not shutdown but I have no issues with him as our best corner. TT can play on this defense. I’m not sure where exactly, maybe that 3rd safety role that Deon Grant was so good in, but he can play. Kid is a great tackler. Hosley needs to stay healthy but he will have a spot. Other than Beason the biggest priority is adding another CB.

As long as Beason and Paysinger are back I really don’t care who the 3rd backer is. We all know how good Beason has been but Paysinger just makes tackles.

Kiwi has not been the same since his neck injury. I think it’s time to move on. I’d love Tuck back for the right price next season. JPP is in a contract year so i expect the old him to show up. He may not, but that’s thats a gamble you have to take. Joseph will be too expensive but I think we have enough bodies at DT. Need Moore to take a leap. Unless there is a monster DE in the first round when we pick I think the rebuilding of the DL has to wait another season.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

The difference this year and last is the rotation of DT’s for Joseph, He’s really showing what he can do at that position. I think we need to sign him going forward, he’s a vital part of our Line. And Hankins hasn’t showed anything in his few reps, and none of us hears anything about his progression.

I generally agree with Nosh. Not sure we can afford Joseph. Depends upon what his price will be. We’ll have Hankins, Jenkins, Patterson and perhaps Tuck playing some at DT (he’s, as I said, now a bit slow against OTs but way too fast for inside offensive linemen to deal with so could play a nice role in a rotation at tackle while also getting some play at DE along the way). I’d like to keep Joseph, but not at $5.5-$6MM per annum, and he may command that.

•  GiantsFanFromEurope says:

If Tuck give us home discount he is more than welcomed ! True JPP is in contract year but what’s more important is the fact that he is going to be healthy and 100 % ready ! Coming from a back surgery is not easy and now he had that shoulder injury. This season he was banged up and was unable to play to his full strengths. Healthy JPP is completely different story.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I’m not against signing Linval I just don’t see where we get the money from.

Beason is a greater priority. And so is addressing the OL with at least one big Free Agent which will cost us. Plus Prince and JPP are up next year. I mean I like Linval, but when I look at needs going forward I think we have bigger ones.

JPP obviously needs to show us he deserves to to get paid, but Prince has earned his contract. Unless he gets hurt his deal takes priority over Joseph.

5.  Nosh.0 says:

As for offense.

#1 fix the OL. I can live with Beatty and Pugh as my tackles. But we need 2 guards and a center. I simply can’t have Snee, Bass, DD, or Boothe starting on this OL next season. Mosley or Brewer may be options. We need at least one big time free agent, and more than anything, a group of guys that allow Eli to play like Eli again.

- WR. Nicks is gone. Randle hopefully makes the leap and we know what Cruz is. Jurnigan will be back but he can’t be counted on. Could bring in a mid level free agent but to me this may be our best bet in the draft. If there is a playmaker WR available for us in the first round with #1 upside that could be the pick.

- TE I need one that can block. After seeing what Ballard was able to do for us, I’d almost look for more of a blocking TE that we can coach up as a WR than vice versa. Myers isn’t the guy. But I don’t think it will be hard to find an upgrade for cheap.

- RB Brown can play. He’ll be back. I have no doubts about Wilsons ability, it’s his injury that worries me. But RB depth you can find in FA or late in the draft for cheap. This is not an issue.

The biggest issues are fixing the OL and finding another WR. Either a mid level free agent who can come in and be a solid possession WR, while Randle assumes the #1 outside spot, or drafting a playmaker in the first round.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

In all honesty, we look for a OT and Center VIA free agency.

Nicks is a goner, IMO. I think there’s a strong possibility of us drafting a WR with our 1st pick. There will be some good value around for WR. Mike Evans, or a guy like Sammy Watkins who has dynamic speed and can be the game changer we’ve lacked in the past years.

as far as the TE’s go… I REALLY like that kid from UNC. Eric Ebron, if he somehow falls to the 2nd round, we should trade up a few spots to grab him.

if we somehow draft around 17th pick, he might actually be a good fit there as well. The kid’s the real deal and has superstar written all over him.

You seem to be coming around to my views of the team. I definitely agree that Paysinger can play, that we’re in need of a corner but not in bad shape at all in the defensive backfield, and that Tuck still can play a roll while Kiwi needs to go (depending upon how much we save against the cap if he’s cut).

The O-line needs restructuring along with the tight ends, but I think Brewer and Mosley have roles going forward.

It looks increasingly as if keeping Nicks is unlikely. We cannot pay him #1 receiver money after a season like this when we can draft a stud and have seen Randle start to emerge (but anyone who expects Randle to equal Nicks at his best is delusional….the problem is that Nicks may never again be at his best).

My concern is that because of the complexities of our schemes and the new CBA-mandated practice schedules it looks likely that we cannot get back in championship contention until 2015.

•  Nosh.0 says:

I think we have a chance in 2014 if these things happen. Hypothetical but….

- Sign a stud Free agent center. Brewer and Mosley take over the guard spots and play well. Beatty bounces back.

- Draft a stud WR in the first round who contributes right away like Nicks did. Randle plays the other outside spot and takes another leap, and Cruz is in the slot.

- JPP gets healthy and bounces back with a monster year. Moore takes a step up as a pass rusher.

- Our 2nd round pick corner back teams with Prince, Rolle and Hill to form one of the better secondaries in football. With Thomas and Hosley as depth.

- We get a Jake Ballard esq. performance from a veteran TE signed with little fan fare.

- Andre Brown and David Wilson stay healthy all season.

I know I just listed a lot of things but I don’t think anything is entirely unrealistic.

Oh yeah and by far the most important thing, Eli plays like a top 5 QB. If that and only that happens, we will be contenders.

6.  Dirt says:

Going back a few pages:

Who did Tuck exactly prove wrong last night? People who may have said “he’s not capable of showing up big for one game every couple of years”? Ok, he proved those folks wrong.

But this team is LAST in sacks this year. LAST. And he’s had less than a handful of them. And not enough last year either. Mind you, this is a team that has been built to get pressure from the front four. From Tuck, they’ve generally had little pressure.

I loved seeing his play last night. He’s been generally strong against the run (with the help of competent DTs), but last night was the first Justin Tuck Game in a long, long time. I hope it’s not an outlier and after getting his health and hunger back, this is the guy, but I certainly need to see more than a game.

Unfortunately, this could be due to having 5 games to prove his worth for a new contract. Even if he shows up down the stretch here, you HAVE to wonder who you’ll be signing next year.

7.  Chad Eldred says:

I’m not buying into the Tuck 4-sack performance. Don’t get me wrong, he had a nice game and I enjoyed watching him, but his inspired play has been erratic and often absent over the last few seasons. I respect Tuck and what he has accomplished, but if we are going to do into the next season, presumably with Fewell as our DC, then we MUST have a front four that can generate pressure without the aid of a blitzing backer. Tuck isn’t that guy, and his name alone will entice someone to pay him more than he’s worth at this point in his career. I’m hoping that “someone” isn’t us.

8.  Nosh.0 says:

I don’t think Tuck will ever be the all pro DE he once was, and last night was probably an exaggeration. But he can still play against the run and I think at the right price will be helpful to us in 2014.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Emphasis on the right price. I would not begrudge him one bit for playing out the string of his career for the highest bidder, in fact it’s the smart financial move. But I wonder if Tuck likes the area so much and has been compensated well so far, that he might consider a cheap 1 year deal with us?

Really it’s all about 2014 replacements. JPP will start on one side and Moore should get more snaps as a rotational DE. But I don’t see where we get another starting DE that can play at Tucks current level, unless Clowney by some miracle falls to us.

9.  Nosh.0 says:

Looking at draft stuff, I have to say Safety is not a need for us but Haha Clinton-Dix may be the greatest name of all time. Don’t even need to watch that kid to know he’s got talent with a name like that.

•  Since 1963 says:

The league should make a rule that anyone who takes Clowney has to take Haha as well. Even a dullard like Joe Half-a-Buck could have fun with that.

Have to say that I’m pleasantly surprised by Brewer’s play at OG.

1 2 3